Notetab retains OLD tabs

  • MoreThanFood
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
      Hi,

      I'm new here, but I searched the posts and didn't find anything that addresses my problem.

      When I open Notetab (Light) it opens OLD documents - ones I haven't had open in 6 months. It does not retain the info from the previous session.

      I tried completely uninstalling it (using Revo) and reinstalling a new download from Fookes, and STILL it opens the old documents!! Bizarre.

      Any help or suggestions? or anyone else having the problem? I am running Windows 7 64 bit

      Thanks!

      Liz
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
        I have never had this. Sounds like somehow it is using the wrong INI
        file where defaults are stored.

        On 2/19/2012 10:36 AM, MoreThanFood wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm new here, but I searched the posts and didn't find anything that addresses my problem.
        >
        > When I open Notetab (Light) it opens OLD documents - ones I haven't had open in 6 months. It does not retain the info from the previous session.
        >
        > I tried completely uninstalling it (using Revo) and reinstalling a new download from Fookes, and STILL it opens the old documents!! Bizarre.
        >
        > Any help or suggestions? or anyone else having the problem? I am running Windows 7 64 bit
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Liz
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
          It sounds like it's using an .ini file that didn't get removed. Search the whole computer for notepad.ini. One of them
          will have the old documents listed in it. THAT is the one NoteTab is using. You can easily eliminate this by moving the
          .ini file INTO the Notetab.exe folder, so that it will be found before it goes looking elsewhere. That is explained in
          the help system. That won't work if you are using Vista/Win7, and NoteTab is installed in C:\Program Files, however,
          since that is now a protected folder. I install NoteTab in C:\Programs\NoteTab, a folder of my own making that I use for
          all older programs, or programs that need to modify files in their install folders.

          Note that the search may fail if you are using Vista/Win7 and you don't have permission to see files in the 'shadow
          copy' area. In that case, you will have to gain permission to view that folder first. (That is where Windows puts files
          that are modified by programs installed in C:\Program Files.

          If all this sounds confusing, it is. Microsoft pulled one of the dumbest stunts of all time when it protected the
          Program Files folders. It should have left that alone, and created NEW folders that were protected, but then it would
          have had to re-release all of its products to use the new folders. So instead, it broke almost all traditional software,
          gave us UAC, Shadow Copy and who knows what else in order to achieve its goals.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
            Hi John,
            thanks for the very comprehensive summary of the folder philosophy in Windows 7! Never saw this made so clear. I've been struggling with this in various programs, now I finally know what to look for.
            Tom

            Am 19.02.2012 um 17:04 schrieb John Shotsky:

            > It sounds like it's using an .ini file that didn't get removed. Search the whole computer for notepad.ini. One of them
            > will have the old documents listed in it. THAT is the one NoteTab is using. You can easily eliminate this by moving the
            > .ini file INTO the Notetab.exe folder, so that it will be found before it goes looking elsewhere. That is explained in
            > the help system. That won't work if you are using Vista/Win7, and NoteTab is installed in C:\Program Files, however,
            > since that is now a protected folder. I install NoteTab in C:\Programs\NoteTab, a folder of my own making that I use for
            > all older programs, or programs that need to modify files in their install folders.
            >
            > Note that the search may fail if you are using Vista/Win7 and you don't have permission to see files in the 'shadow
            > copy' area. In that case, you will have to gain permission to view that folder first. (That is where Windows puts files
            > that are modified by programs installed in C:\Program Files.
            >
            > If all this sounds confusing, it is. Microsoft pulled one of the dumbest stunts of all time when it protected the
            > Program Files folders. It should have left that alone, and created NEW folders that were protected, but then it would
            > have had to re-release all of its products to use the new folders. So instead, it broke almost all traditional software,
            > gave us UAC, Shadow Copy and who knows what else in order to achieve its goals.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John

          • Alex Plantema
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
              Op zondag 19 februari 2012 17:04 schreef John Shotsky:

              > If all this sounds confusing, it is. Microsoft pulled one of the
              > dumbest stunts of all time when it protected the Program Files
              > folders. It should have left that alone, and created NEW folders that
              > were protected, but then it would have had to re-release all of its
              > products to use the new folders. So instead, it broke almost all
              > traditional software, gave us UAC, Shadow Copy and who knows what
              > else in order to achieve its goals.

              If user settings were stored in the Program Files folders, a multi user system would not be possible.
              Microsoft's solution is only meant for old programs (pre-Windows 95) that store their settings there,
              though it doesn't make it easy to understand, because some programs see the version in Program Files,
              whereas other programs see the version in the shadow copy folders.
              New programs put their setting in Application Data (Windows XP) or Appdata etc. (Vista, 7).

              Alex.
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
                I wasn't referring to just user settings, I was referring to ANY files that a program tries to modify in its install
                folders when installed into C:\Program Files in Vista/Win7.

                I have no problem with there being a user section for multiple users, but most of us only have one user, and that one
                user pays the price of having the ability to have more users on the computer. The defaults should have been for
                single-user comfort, rather than single-user inconvenience.

                Regards,
                John

                Op zondag 19 februari 2012 17:04 schreef John Shotsky:

                > If all this sounds confusing, it is. Microsoft pulled one of the
                > dumbest stunts of all time when it protected the Program Files
                > folders. It should have left that alone, and created NEW folders that
                > were protected, but then it would have had to re-release all of its
                > products to use the new folders. So instead, it broke almost all
                > traditional software, gave us UAC, Shadow Copy and who knows what
                > else in order to achieve its goals.

                If user settings were stored in the Program Files folders, a multi user system would not be possible.
                Microsoft's solution is only meant for old programs (pre-Windows 95) that store their settings there,
                though it doesn't make it easy to understand, because some programs see the version in Program Files,
                whereas other programs see the version in the shadow copy folders.
                New programs put their setting in Application Data (Windows XP) or Appdata etc. (Vista, 7).

                Alex.

              • Marcelo Bastos
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 19, 2012
                  Interviewed by CNN on 19/02/2012 14:04, John Shotsky told the world:

                  > If all this sounds confusing, it is. Microsoft pulled one of the dumbest stunts of all time when it protected the
                  > Program Files folders. It should have left that alone, and created NEW folders that were protected, but then it would
                  > have had to re-release all of its products to use the new folders. So instead, it broke almost all traditional software,
                  > gave us UAC, Shadow Copy and who knows what else in order to achieve its goals.

                  No, actually, they were right. Do you want to know for HOW LONG the
                  Program Files has required administrative rights to write in?

                  Since *1993.* Since the very first version of Windows NT. People in
                  corporate environments (where permissions are taken seriously) have
                  worked with restricted Program Files since... well, since NT 4, in 1996
                  (pretty much nobody used NT 3.x).

                  Yeah, that's how long programmers have been told not to save files in
                  the Program Files tree. (Although Microsoft programmers themselves were
                  guilt of violating this; I remember having to temporarily elevate users'
                  rights on first run of Office 2000, because it didn't fully comply with
                  those directives...).

                  And then, by Windows XP (when the NT family actually hit the home
                  market), this happened if you used a "restricted" account instead of an
                  Administrator account. That's back in 2001, by the way.

                  Only... people kept using Administrator accounts for day-to-day tasks.
                  It may be convenient, but security-wise, it's a REALLY DUMB idea. That's
                  why in Linux/Unix/OSX you have to explicitly invoke root privileges
                  (like by using sudo) for some tasks.

                  So, Microsoft came with UAC. Which basically removes from Windows the
                  stupid "all admin, all the time" behavior.

                  Now we see people whining about "Oh, I can't write to the Program Files
                  folder without invoking admin privileges." "Oh, viruses have a hard time
                  installing themselves." "Oh, I can't delete my System32 folder." Tough
                  luck. You shouldn't be doing that anyway. It's bad practice. There have
                  been documented ways to keep application profiles in userland for years
                  and years. And if you wanted to sell your applications to corporate
                  users, you would already be doing that.

                  So no, UAC did not break "almost all traditional software." Only the
                  ones which were still written assuming Win9x practices (that is, for an
                  OS family which had been out of the market for *five years* when Vista
                  was launched).

                  If you ask me, Microsoft has coddled bad programming habits and bad user
                  habits for too long. It was high time for them to clamp down.

                  --
                  MCBastos

                  use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                  -=-=-
                  ... Sent from my Minitel.
                  * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.7.2 *