Strange find-replace error

  • opoya@att.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2012
      This just started happening today. I looked through the messages, but
      could not find anything relating to this problem.

      This is something that happens only in find-replace.

      Let's say I want to change "apple" to "orange" and then change "cookie"
      to "cupcake". Ctrl-R opens the dialog box, I type in "apple" and
      "orange" in the slots, alt-A for replace all, it works. Close dialog
      box. This part is fine.

      Then I go to make my next change. Ctrl-R again, and "apple" and "orange"
      are still sitting in the slots -- wouldn't I expect them to be? Of
      course. But they are not highlighted. Which means that typing anything
      else in the slots will not overwrite what's already there. I have to
      manually delete "apple" and "orange" before putting the new words in.

      If I choose, as I often do, to copy the word I want to change and paste
      it into the slot, instead of overwriting it'll just slide it in next to
      the old word and I now have "cookieapple".

      This does not happen in the find-only dialog box. The previous word I
      used is there, but it's highlighted so I can just start typing.

      None of the checkboxes in the find-replace or find-only dialog boxes are
      checked.

      I am not sure how to attach files in yahoo groups, but I have uploaded
      three files to a folder in the Files area labeled Find-Replace Error.

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2012
        You have to double click in each of the find and replace boxes to highlight them. It would make no sense to highlight
        both of them.

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18, 2012
          Hi,
          if you want to start a new find (and not repeat a previous one), why not press Ctrl-F? Then any selected text is automatically copied into the find window, previous find text is removed. The replace text is still available, like John said you can double-click in the replace field to select and then overwrite it.
          Tom