Re: Questions about bookmarks

  • cq9
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
      Thanks very much, Flo, for your prompt and clear responses about the number of available bookmarks and about not being able to save them. I'm very disappointed to learn they can't normally be saved, but at least now I know.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "flo.gehrke" <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cq9" <cq9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I see that I can select bookmarks numbered from 1-10.
      >
      > No, you can number them from 0 to 9.
      >
      > > What happens if I want more than ten bookmarks?
      >
      > No more available.
      >
      > > Is there a way to name each bookmark?
      >
      > No.
      >
      > > And is there an easy way to access them...
      >
      > With shortcut Ctrl+number (NT Pro), or with clip ^!GoToBookmark number
      >
      > > ...when I opened the document in NTP today, the bookmarks were gone
      >
      > You cannot save them with the file. In an OTL file, they even get lost when selecting another heading.
      >
      > > ...closed NTP to the system tray, and then opened it again...when I
      > > searched for bookmark 5, it was in the wrong place
      >
      > Are you sure? I've never experienced that.
      >
      > > I tried to save the file in which I had made the bookmarks, but
      > > the Save icon was greyed out
      >
      > Setting bookmarks (without any change to the file contents) doesn't change the file. So there is nothing to save, and 'Save' is greyed out.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Flo

    • cq9
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
        Thanks, Robert, for this helpful information.

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:
        > Do you have Notetab Lite or Pro? If you have Pro, you can use
        > hotkeys. From Help > Keyboard Shortcuts:
        >
        > Bookmarks (NoteTab Pro only)
        > Shift+Ctrl+[0-9] toggle bookmark
        > Ctrl+[0-9] go to bookmark #
        > Ctrl+Alt+F3 Next
        > Shift+Ctrl+F3 Previous
      • cq9
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
          Thanks very much, Don, for this helpful suggestion. I am very new to NoteTab Pro, and so I haven't yet looked at what is available with the Clip language. But you given me a strong incentive to do so.

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don G Daugherty <ddaugherty@...> wrote:
          > I think with use of Notetab's Clip language you can create your own
          > savable bookmark equivalents.
          > The idea would be to use a set of characters that you would normally
          > never use -- ASCII characters above 128 for example. Subscribe to the
          > Clips List and ask for help there if you need it,

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 25, 2011
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cq9" <cq9@...> wrote:

            > Thanks very much, Don, for this helpful suggestion. I am very new to NoteTab Pro, and so I haven't yet looked at what is available with the Clip language. But you given me a strong incentive to do so.
            >
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don G Daugherty <ddaugherty@> wrote:
            > > I think with use of Notetab's Clip language you can create your own
            > > savable bookmark equivalents.

            Since we are dealing with clip programming now I've posted a continuation to the Clip Group (see message #22344 on 'Saving Bookmarks').

            Flo
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
              Hello cq9,

              This does not respond to your question about bookmarks, however, you might
              look at the Outline feature in NoteTab as a possible substitute for
              bookmarks. If it makes sense to save your original document as an outline,
              you can create an unlimited number of headings (each with a descriptive
              title) which can be constantly on display. Look also at the Hyperlink
              feature for use in your outlines. Hyperlinks allow one-click access to any
              part of your document or to other documents on your PC. Outlines can also
              be easily converted into web pages with the headings serving as a
              hyperlinked table of contents.

              IMO, Outlines and the Paste Board feature are two of the most useful
              features of NoteTab.

              I keep NoteTab open on my PC whenever the machine is running.

              Ray Shapp

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                Thanks, Ray, for your suggestion. I agree that the Outline feature seems very useful, but I wouldn't want to have to use it every time I want to add bookmarks to a file. I think Flo's idea comes closer to what I'd want.

                CQ