Re: Questions about bookmarks

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 23, 2011
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cq9" <cq9@...> wrote:

      > I see that I can select bookmarks numbered from 1-10.

      No, you can number them from 0 to 9.

      > What happens if I want more than ten bookmarks?

      No more available.

      > Is there a way to name each bookmark?

      No.

      > And is there an easy way to access them...

      With shortcut Ctrl+number (NT Pro), or with clip ^!GoToBookmark number

      > ...when I opened the document in NTP today, the bookmarks were gone

      You cannot save them with the file. In an OTL file, they even get lost when selecting another heading.

      > ...closed NTP to the system tray, and then opened it again...when I
      > searched for bookmark 5, it was in the wrong place

      Are you sure? I've never experienced that.

      > I tried to save the file in which I had made the bookmarks, but
      > the Save icon was greyed out

      Setting bookmarks (without any change to the file contents) doesn't change the file. So there is nothing to save, and 'Save' is greyed out.

      Regards,
      Flo
    • Robert Bull
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 23, 2011
        Hello, cq9;

        c> What happens if I want more than ten bookmarks?

        I don't think you can have more than 10 bookmarks at a time.

        c> And is there an easy way to access them instead of going to the
        c> toolbar each time, selecting Search, and then Go to Bookmark and
        c> then select the bookmark I want?

        Do you have Notetab Lite or Pro? If you have Pro, you can use
        hotkeys. From Help > Keyboard Shortcuts:

        Bookmarks (NoteTab Pro only)
        Shift+Ctrl+[0-9] toggle bookmark
        Ctrl+[0-9] go to bookmark #
        Ctrl+Alt+F3 Next
        Shift+Ctrl+F3 Previous

        c> I've just noticed what may be some glitches in the bookmark
        c> feature. I set bookmarks in a document yesterday, but when I opened
        c> the document in NTP today, the bookmarks were gone.

        That's not necessarily a glitch. I think Notetab works like a lot of
        other text editors and doesn't save bookmarks between sessions.

        I would prefer Notetab bookmarks to work like they do in Notepad++,
        Crimson Editor, EmEditor, HippoEDIT and many others - i.e., you set an
        unnumbered bookmark with one hotkey (usually Ctrl+F2) , and cycle
        between bookmarks with another (usually F2). But it doesn't work like
        that.

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
      • Don G Daugherty
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
          On 12/23/2011 2:17 PM, cq9 wrote:
          > Hi. I am a very new user of NoteTab Pro 6.2. It has lots of features I like, but I've got several questions about NTP's bookmarks. I see that I can select bookmarks numbered from 1-10. What happens if I want more than ten bookmarks?
          >
          > Also, I previously used a different text editor in which I could name each bookmark. That way, I knew exactly what each bookmark was marking. Also, all the named bookmarks were listed in a panel to the right of the document. I can't imagine how I will remember bookmark information with just a number. Is there a way to name each bookmark? And is there an easy way to access them instead of going to the toolbar each time, selecting Search, and then Go to Bookmark and then select the bookmark I want?
          >
          > I've just noticed what may be some glitches in the bookmark feature. I set bookmarks in a document yesterday, but when I opened the document in NTP today, the bookmarks were gone. I then again set some bookmarks, closed NTP to the system tray, and then opened it again. The bookmarks were there, but when I searched for bookmark 5, it was in the wrong place, ahead of bookmarks 1 through 4.
          >
          > I tried to save the file in which I had made the bookmarks, but the Save icon was greyed out, as was the option to Save from the File menu. And sure enough, when I closed the document and closed down NTP and then opened it again and opened the file, the bookmarks were again missing. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem with the bookmark feature? I went through the forum looking for information about bookmarks before I posted this message, and I saw nothing about the glitches I've just described.
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your help.

          I think with use of Notetab's Clip language you can create your own
          savable bookmark equivalents.
          The idea would be to use a set of characters that you would normally
          never use -- ASCII characters above 128 for example. Subscribe to the
          Clips List and ask for help there if you need it,
        • cq9
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
            Thanks very much, Flo, for your prompt and clear responses about the number of available bookmarks and about not being able to save them. I'm very disappointed to learn they can't normally be saved, but at least now I know.

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "flo.gehrke" <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cq9" <cq9@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I see that I can select bookmarks numbered from 1-10.
            >
            > No, you can number them from 0 to 9.
            >
            > > What happens if I want more than ten bookmarks?
            >
            > No more available.
            >
            > > Is there a way to name each bookmark?
            >
            > No.
            >
            > > And is there an easy way to access them...
            >
            > With shortcut Ctrl+number (NT Pro), or with clip ^!GoToBookmark number
            >
            > > ...when I opened the document in NTP today, the bookmarks were gone
            >
            > You cannot save them with the file. In an OTL file, they even get lost when selecting another heading.
            >
            > > ...closed NTP to the system tray, and then opened it again...when I
            > > searched for bookmark 5, it was in the wrong place
            >
            > Are you sure? I've never experienced that.
            >
            > > I tried to save the file in which I had made the bookmarks, but
            > > the Save icon was greyed out
            >
            > Setting bookmarks (without any change to the file contents) doesn't change the file. So there is nothing to save, and 'Save' is greyed out.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Flo

          • cq9
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
              Thanks, Robert, for this helpful information.

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bull <barlennan@...> wrote:
              > Do you have Notetab Lite or Pro? If you have Pro, you can use
              > hotkeys. From Help > Keyboard Shortcuts:
              >
              > Bookmarks (NoteTab Pro only)
              > Shift+Ctrl+[0-9] toggle bookmark
              > Ctrl+[0-9] go to bookmark #
              > Ctrl+Alt+F3 Next
              > Shift+Ctrl+F3 Previous
            • cq9
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 24, 2011
                Thanks very much, Don, for this helpful suggestion. I am very new to NoteTab Pro, and so I haven't yet looked at what is available with the Clip language. But you given me a strong incentive to do so.

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 25, 2011
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cq9" <cq9@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks very much, Don, for this helpful suggestion. I am very new to NoteTab Pro, and so I haven't yet looked at what is available with the Clip language. But you given me a strong incentive to do so.
                  >
                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don G Daugherty <ddaugherty@> wrote:
                  > > I think with use of Notetab's Clip language you can create your own
                  > > savable bookmark equivalents.

                  Since we are dealing with clip programming now I've posted a continuation to the Clip Group (see message #22344 on 'Saving Bookmarks').

                  Flo
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                    Hello cq9,

                    This does not respond to your question about bookmarks, however, you might
                    look at the Outline feature in NoteTab as a possible substitute for
                    bookmarks. If it makes sense to save your original document as an outline,
                    you can create an unlimited number of headings (each with a descriptive
                    title) which can be constantly on display. Look also at the Hyperlink
                    feature for use in your outlines. Hyperlinks allow one-click access to any
                    part of your document or to other documents on your PC. Outlines can also
                    be easily converted into web pages with the headings serving as a
                    hyperlinked table of contents.

                    IMO, Outlines and the Paste Board feature are two of the most useful
                    features of NoteTab.

                    I keep NoteTab open on my PC whenever the machine is running.

                    Ray Shapp

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 26, 2011
                      Thanks, Ray, for your suggestion. I agree that the Outline feature seems very useful, but I wouldn't want to have to use it every time I want to add bookmarks to a file. I think Flo's idea comes closer to what I'd want.

                      CQ