RE: [NTB] File associations: via NoteTab options, or via Windows 7 Set Associations ?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
      Not with Windows 7�you must do many, many things to get NoteTab, not Notepad, to open on all various text file types
      that come defaulted with notepad. There is an app somewhere that is used solely to revise the registry to replace
      notepad with notetab in all occurances. You can find these by simply searching your registry for notepad, and noting how
      many times it shows up. Every one of those has to be changed, to completely bypass notepad.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
        Doesn't really answer the question though, of whether the NoteTab File Associations list does anything different than just doing the same through the normal Windows function.

        Agreed that there are many file types that could be associated with NoteTab, but is there any difference between doing it through NoteTab or through Windows?

        > Not with Windows 7…you must do many, many things to get NoteTab, not Notepad, to open on all various text file types
        > that come defaulted with notepad. There is an app somewhere that is used solely to revise the registry to replace
        > notepad with notetab in all occurances. You can find these by simply searching your registry for notepad, and noting how
        > many times it shows up. Every one of those has to be changed, to completely bypass notepad.
        >
        > Regards,
        > John

      • tuttle.grey
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
          Experimenting here on Windows 7, there may be a difference.

          When I added txt files to NoteTab's Associations list, they did open with NoteTab but the file icons were unchanged.

          When I used Windows "Open With" command and selected the checkbox for Windows to "always use the selected program...", the file icons changed to use NoteTab's Swiss cross icon.