Re: [NTB] File associations: via NoteTab options, or via Windows 7 Set Associations ?

  • loro
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
      tuttle.grey wrote:
      >Are there any differences in behaviour or results from using one
      >method versus the other? Is one method preferred for some reason?

      I can't think there is any difference. I suppose Notetab and other
      programs that offer an easy interface to file association do just
      that, offer another interface to the Windows settings.

      Lotta
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
        Not with Windows 7�you must do many, many things to get NoteTab, not Notepad, to open on all various text file types
        that come defaulted with notepad. There is an app somewhere that is used solely to revise the registry to replace
        notepad with notetab in all occurances. You can find these by simply searching your registry for notepad, and noting how
        many times it shows up. Every one of those has to be changed, to completely bypass notepad.

        Regards,
        John

        >Are there any differences in behaviour or results from using one
        >method versus the other? Is one method preferred for some reason?

        I can't think there is any difference. I suppose Notetab and other
        programs that offer an easy interface to file association do just
        that, offer another interface to the Windows settings.

        Lotta

      • tuttle.grey
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
          Doesn't really answer the question though, of whether the NoteTab File Associations list does anything different than just doing the same through the normal Windows function.

          Agreed that there are many file types that could be associated with NoteTab, but is there any difference between doing it through NoteTab or through Windows?

          > Not with Windows 7…you must do many, many things to get NoteTab, not Notepad, to open on all various text file types
          > that come defaulted with notepad. There is an app somewhere that is used solely to revise the registry to replace
          > notepad with notetab in all occurances. You can find these by simply searching your registry for notepad, and noting how
          > many times it shows up. Every one of those has to be changed, to completely bypass notepad.
          >
          > Regards,
          > John

        • tuttle.grey
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
            Experimenting here on Windows 7, there may be a difference.

            When I added txt files to NoteTab's Associations list, they did open with NoteTab but the file icons were unchanged.

            When I used Windows "Open With" command and selected the checkbox for Windows to "always use the selected program...", the file icons changed to use NoteTab's Swiss cross icon.