File associations: via NoteTab options, or via Windows 7 Set Associations ?

  • tuttle.grey
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 19, 2011
      Windows 7 Home Premium
      NoteTab Pro 6.2

      File extensions can be associated with NoteTab by two methods:

      within NoteTab, View | Options | Associations,

      or

      Windows 7's built-in Set Associations function.

      Are there any differences in behaviour or results from using one method versus the other? Is one method preferred for some reason?

      thanks
    • loro
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
        tuttle.grey wrote:
        >Are there any differences in behaviour or results from using one
        >method versus the other? Is one method preferred for some reason?

        I can't think there is any difference. I suppose Notetab and other
        programs that offer an easy interface to file association do just
        that, offer another interface to the Windows settings.

        Lotta
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
          Not with Windows 7�you must do many, many things to get NoteTab, not Notepad, to open on all various text file types
          that come defaulted with notepad. There is an app somewhere that is used solely to revise the registry to replace
          notepad with notetab in all occurances. You can find these by simply searching your registry for notepad, and noting how
          many times it shows up. Every one of those has to be changed, to completely bypass notepad.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
            Doesn't really answer the question though, of whether the NoteTab File Associations list does anything different than just doing the same through the normal Windows function.

            Agreed that there are many file types that could be associated with NoteTab, but is there any difference between doing it through NoteTab or through Windows?

            > Not with Windows 7…you must do many, many things to get NoteTab, not Notepad, to open on all various text file types
            > that come defaulted with notepad. There is an app somewhere that is used solely to revise the registry to replace
            > notepad with notetab in all occurances. You can find these by simply searching your registry for notepad, and noting how
            > many times it shows up. Every one of those has to be changed, to completely bypass notepad.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John

          • tuttle.grey
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 20, 2011
              Experimenting here on Windows 7, there may be a difference.

              When I added txt files to NoteTab's Associations list, they did open with NoteTab but the file icons were unchanged.

              When I used Windows "Open With" command and selected the checkbox for Windows to "always use the selected program...", the file icons changed to use NoteTab's Swiss cross icon.