Re: [NTB] Use Command-line Parameters even when double-clicking txt file to launch ?

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
      I occasionally use the 2nd approach, assigning a batchfile, i.e. "launchNTP.cmd", to open the desired file.

      The command file contains the following command:

      rem long line
      start /WAIT (path to NTP exe file)\NotePro.exe /USER=(desired path) /INI=(path to NTP exe file)\IniFilename
      rem end long line

      Get your paths out of your existing NoteTab shortcuts, but convert them to DOS SHORT paths (easiest way to get the dos short version is with a clip containing "^$GetShort(desiredpath)$").

      While I have the command file in my list of available programs, I do not assign it permanently, and do not know what side effects that might cause. And _yes_ ig you want to apply this technique to multiple file types, you would have to change the default executable for each filetype you want to open this way.

      Eb

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "tuttle.grey" <tuttle@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply. If I understand you, the options are:
      >
      > 1. Edit a registry key for each file type that I want to associate with a Command-line switched shortcut to NoteTab.
      >
      > or
      >
      > 2. Use Win Explorer to change the file association for each file type that I want to open in NoteTab, to point it to a Command-line switched shortcut to NoteTab. And that would have to be repeated for eacy file type and for each user account.
      >
      > Is that correct?
      >

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@> wrote:
      > >
      > > At 12/01/2011 14:02, you wrote:
      > > >Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 1
      > > >NoteTab Pro 6.2
      > > >
      > > >I'm trying to share user settings between Windows useraccounts. This
      > > >worksby adding the /USER parameter to any shortcut to NoteTabPro.exe. As
      > > >long as NoteTabPro is launched via such a shortcut, the parameters are in
      > > >effect.
      > > >
      > > >However, when a user double-clicks a file whose extension is associated
      > > >with NoteTab (e.g. .txt), only a default NoteTab environment launches. It
      > > >does not use my .ini file or other user files.
      > > >
      > > >How do you handle that situation? Have any of you figured out a way to
      > > >enable launching of NoteTabPro by double-clicking an associated file, but
      > > >still force it to use the Command-line Parameters?
      > >
      > > Yes, we lost a lot of flexibility going from NTB v4.95 to v5+. I was forced
      > > to come up with another way of invoking NTB. It involves editing your
      > > registry which you may or may not be willing or able to do.
      > > You would need admin rights.
      > >
      > > I edited my registry directly (seems like I use RegEdit almost as often as
      > > I use NoteTab<g>), but it should be possible to accomplish the same results
      > > using Explorer's folder options | file types menus | advanced.
      > >
      > > I edited my HCR registry "hive" to redirect the .txt file extension to a
      > > new Notetab key that called Notetab with my desired /USER parameters. HCR
      > > entries apply to all users. The Explorer approach adds FileExts entries to
      > > the current user in the HKU hive so it only applies to a single user. You
      > > would have to log into and repeat the process for all user accounts.
      > >
      > > Using the Explorer method more tedious and less flexible but is safer. It
      > > depends on you comfort level on editing the registry. If this is something
      > > you want to explore, give me a yell. Direct registry edit discussions would
      > > probably be best done via direct email.
      > >
      > > Namaste', Art

    • tuttle.grey
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Eb" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

        > While I have the command file in my list of available programs,
        > I do not assign it permanently,

        I don't know what that means.
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2011
          When you RIGHT-click on a filename in Windows Explorer, and choose "Open with", you get a list of programs, and the option to "chose a default" program to open the file with.

          After selecting "choose default", there is a checkbox "always use this program to open this kind of filetype" (at the bottom of the list of available programs).

          Checking that box is what I meant by assigning it permanently.