Re: [NTB] One of my snippet libraries has disappeared

  • Muriel
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
      THank you to all that sent me advice and I now have the library back.
      It was HIDING in a totally unexpected folder... and when John said it might
      be in a private folder...started looking in everything LOL
      A search from the START menu didnt find it... either..but it was in some
      private folder.. and now all is well

      TY all again for your help

      appreciated

      Muriel
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
        Windows uses 'Shadow Copy' to place things in private folders, if the program tries to write to protected Program Files
        folders. Vista, Win 7 and later have this issue. You can do several things to circumvent this problem. My method is to
        simply NOT install some programs in Program Files. My NoteTab Pro is installed in a folder I created called
        'C:\Programs'. I install all older software there, and some newer software that I don't want Windows to mess with. Java
        programs, in particular, because most aren't written to understand Windows' newer protective schemes. By the way, I also
        keep ALL of NoteTab's files and folders WITH NoteTab, including notepro.ini, so that I NEVER have to go searching for
        any of its files. NoteTab's help gives instructions for this.

        The other things you can do is to give your program write access in its Program Files location. There is a process
        somewhere for this, but Windows updates can break this. Also, you can unhide system folders and make file types visible
        to make your shadow copy folders visible and recognizable.

        Regards,
        John

        > ty for replying.. but I can not see where it says SAVE
        >
        > that is the problem
        >
        > can u help more plz
        >
        > Mugal

      • Rod Dav4is
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
          The "everything" tool has proved most useful to me for this sort
          of thing. I now cannot imagine how I ever got along without it! It
          runs unobtrusively in the background and has saved my bacon more than
          once. You can read about it on their website: http://www.voidtools.com/
          I installed it sometime last year and have never had occasion for
          complaint. I find that with tools of this nature, running in the
          background often means at least occasional degradation of performance
          -- but never seen from this tool.

          -R.

          On 2011-11-02 11:48, Muriel wrote:

          > THank you to all that sent me advice and I now have the library back.
          > It was HIDING in a totally unexpected folder... and when John said
          > it might
          > be in a private folder...started looking in everything LOL
          > A search from the START menu didnt find it... either..but it was in
          > some
          > private folder.. and now all is well
          >
          > TY all again for your help
          >
          > appreciated
          >
          > Muriel

          Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
          Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
          538 ancestral& collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
          New England& European roots. Total population: 136,000+
          Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
          email: DAV4IS@...
          A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
          -unknown

        • Rod Dav4is
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
            Oh, did I mention that it is FREE for private non-commercial use? -R.