Re: [NTB] One of my snippet libraries has disappeared

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
      Hi
      do you delete to the recoil bin or keep a copy both methods work.
      THANKYOU DAVE-M

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
        On 2011-11-02 07:41, Dave wrote:
        > do you delete to the recoil bin or keep a copy both methods work.
        > THANKYOU DAVE-M
        Pretty sure that was a typo - s/b recycle bin.

        Which "library" folder? Sounds like you are looking in C:\Program
        Files\Notetabs\NoteTab Pro\Libraries
        Depending on your setup this probably only contains "standard" libraries
        created when program installed.

        *YOUR* libraries are probably in C:\Documents and
        Settings\<user>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro\Libraries where <user> is
        your login-id
        This is for WinXP - slightly different for Win-7

        If you don't have it already I strongly recommend you get Everything:

        /Everything/Search Engine <http://www.voidtools.com/>

        www.voidtools.com/

      • Muriel
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
          I am sure he meant recycle bin but that doesnt help me save my snippet
          library
          >> do you delete to the recoil bin or keep a copy both methods work.
          >> THANKYOU DAVE-M
          > Pretty sure that was a typo - s/b recycle bin.

        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
            Using the search dialog for Windows, search for the filename of your snippet. It is probably moved to a private folder
            by shadow copy, or it is in Documents and Settings, or C:\Users\...

            If you can see it in NoteTab, save it in a location OUTSIDE of Program Files to have a safe, backup copy.

            Regards,
            John

            I am sure he meant recycle bin but that doesnt help me save my snippet
            library
            >> do you delete to the recoil bin or keep a copy both methods work.
            >> THANKYOU DAVE-M
            > Pretty sure that was a typo - s/b recycle bin.

          • Muriel
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
              ty for replying.. but I can not see where it says SAVE

              that is the problem

              can u help more plz

              Mugal

              > Using the search dialog for Windows, search for the filename of your
              > snippet. It is probably moved to a private folder
              > by shadow copy, or it is in Documents and Settings, or C:\Users\...
              >
              > If you can see it in NoteTab, save it in a location OUTSIDE of Program
              > Files to have a safe, backup copy.
              >
              > Regards,
              > John
              > RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
              > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

            • Muriel
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                SEARCH NOT FIDING IT EITHER...getting desperate

                Mugal
                > Using the search dialog for Windows, search for the filename of your
                > snippet. It is probably moved to a private folder
                > by shadow copy, or it is in Documents and Settings, or C:\Users\...
                >
                > If you can see it in NoteTab, save it in a location OUTSIDE of Program
                > Files to have a safe, backup copy.
                >
                > Regards,
                > John
                > RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
                > http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

              • Sheri
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                  On 11/2/2011 7:03 AM, Mugal wrote:

                  > Hi
                  > Can anyone tell me how to get back one of my main snippet libraries
                  >
                  > ..it has disappeared from the library folder.!!!!!!.. but I am able to
                  > use the snippets with the editor
                  > Appreciate some advice
                  > mugal

                  User modified libraries are not stored in the Libraries folder under
                  NoteTab's app folder. Libraries in that folder are subject to being
                  overwritten by the installer during NoteTab updates.

                  You say you are still able to use the library with the editor. You can
                  open the library as a document in NoteTab and thereby see the file path
                  info on the title bar.

                  Load the library in the clipbook. Then right-click its name at the top
                  of the clipbook and select Open as Document.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri
                • Muriel
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                    THank you to all that sent me advice and I now have the library back.
                    It was HIDING in a totally unexpected folder... and when John said it might
                    be in a private folder...started looking in everything LOL
                    A search from the START menu didnt find it... either..but it was in some
                    private folder.. and now all is well

                    TY all again for your help

                    appreciated

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                      Windows uses 'Shadow Copy' to place things in private folders, if the program tries to write to protected Program Files
                      folders. Vista, Win 7 and later have this issue. You can do several things to circumvent this problem. My method is to
                      simply NOT install some programs in Program Files. My NoteTab Pro is installed in a folder I created called
                      'C:\Programs'. I install all older software there, and some newer software that I don't want Windows to mess with. Java
                      programs, in particular, because most aren't written to understand Windows' newer protective schemes. By the way, I also
                      keep ALL of NoteTab's files and folders WITH NoteTab, including notepro.ini, so that I NEVER have to go searching for
                      any of its files. NoteTab's help gives instructions for this.

                      The other things you can do is to give your program write access in its Program Files location. There is a process
                      somewhere for this, but Windows updates can break this. Also, you can unhide system folders and make file types visible
                      to make your shadow copy folders visible and recognizable.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      > ty for replying.. but I can not see where it says SAVE
                      >
                      > that is the problem
                      >
                      > can u help more plz
                      >
                      > Mugal

                    • Rod Dav4is
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                        The "everything" tool has proved most useful to me for this sort
                        of thing. I now cannot imagine how I ever got along without it! It
                        runs unobtrusively in the background and has saved my bacon more than
                        once. You can read about it on their website: http://www.voidtools.com/
                        I installed it sometime last year and have never had occasion for
                        complaint. I find that with tools of this nature, running in the
                        background often means at least occasional degradation of performance
                        -- but never seen from this tool.

                        -R.

                        On 2011-11-02 11:48, Muriel wrote:

                        > THank you to all that sent me advice and I now have the library back.
                        > It was HIDING in a totally unexpected folder... and when John said
                        > it might
                        > be in a private folder...started looking in everything LOL
                        > A search from the START menu didnt find it... either..but it was in
                        > some
                        > private folder.. and now all is well
                        >
                        > TY all again for your help
                        >
                        > appreciated
                        >
                        > Muriel

                        Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
                        Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
                        538 ancestral& collateral families, mostly 17°-19° century
                        New England& European roots. Total population: 136,000+
                        Annex: http://www.gencircles.com/users/dav4is/
                        email: DAV4IS@...
                        A Democrat, a Republican and a giraffe walk into a bar. The bartender looks up from his want ads and says, "What is this, a joke?"
                        -unknown

                      • Rod Dav4is
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 2, 2011
                          Oh, did I mention that it is FREE for private non-commercial use? -R.