Re: [NTB] Windows 7 recognizing note tab

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
      Interviewed by CNN on 31/10/2011 18:59, Computerhusky told the world:

      > NoteTab has an option in the Help menu: replace MS Notepad.

      Unfortunately this option hasn't work reliably for a long time, since
      Microsoft decided that Notepad is an "essential system file" and
      therefore shouldn't be replaced. Ever.

      There was a workaround for XP, but it doesn't work in Vista/7.

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
      Sent from my walkie-talkie.
    • Bob Gorman
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
        Lately, for about 2 months, Note Tab disappears, exits memory.

        It's always when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
        of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
        application.

        Very annoying. I cranked the auto-save time way down to lose less...

        Has anyone else experienced this?

        I'm running Note tab Pro 6.2 on windows XP.

        Bob

        --
        *God* gave us grapes;
        *Entrepreneurs* gave us wine.

      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
          That doesn't work in Windows 7.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
            Hi,
            Sorry, you're right.
            But what does work ( I tested it under Windows 7) is:
            Inside NoteTab, open
            View - Options
            Go to the tab "Associations"
            put "txt" into the list of Associated File Extensions ( and any other file types you want to open with NoteTab automatically)
            OK

            Kind regards
            Tom

            Von meinem iPad gesendet

            Am 31.10.2011 um 23:03 schrieb "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>:

            > That doesn't work in Windows 7.
            >
            > Regards,
            > John

          • Don
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
              No and I am on WinXP as well. I suspect maybe a drain somewhere on
              memory is occurring?

              On 10/31/2011 5:19 PM, Bob Gorman wrote:
              > Lately, for about 2 months, Note Tab disappears, exits memory.
              >
              > It's always when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
              > of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
              > application.
              >
              > Very annoying. I cranked the auto-save time way down to lose less...
              >
              > Has anyone else experienced this?
              >
              > I'm running Note tab Pro 6.2 on windows XP.
              >
              > Bob

            • Eb
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                NoteTab has issues with clipboard capturing.
                I have had interference with several other applications:

                Adobe Reader often generates an error, when trying to copy selected text into NoteTab's pasteboard.

                Fidelity's WealthLab crashes, when NoteTab's pasteboard is enabled, and I try to cut & paste within the WealthLab editor.

                What applications do you have problems with?

                Also, take a look at taskmanager after NoteTab disappears, and see if NotePro.exe is still running, despite having disappeared.

                Report these things to Fookes as bugs.

                Finally, it may help to reinstall NoteTab. Sometimes parts of NoteTab get corrupted during heavy memory use; or when you shut-domw by hibernation or stand-by, applications can be interfered with.

                Eb

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gorman <bgorman@...> wrote:

                > ... Note Tab disappears, exits memory.
                > ... when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
                > of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
                > application.
                > --
                > *God* gave us grapes;
                > *Entrepreneurs* gave us wine.

                Hmm, I thought Monks gave us wine?
              • Harold Noffke
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
                  Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.

                  Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?

                  Kind regards,

                  RetiredEngineer1

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 5, 2011
                    Your message came through garbled, but if you mean to set the "Show Icon in System Tray" option, W7 seems to have some internal clean-up for the task tray. Why not use the "pin icon to the task BAR" instead?

                    Right-click on the taskbar icon for NoteTab, and select "Pin this program to taskbar". I have no trouble with pinned icons disappearing after slepp mode or restarts.

                    Cheers,

                    Eb

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Harold Noffke <noffkehw@...> wrote:

                    > Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.
                    >

                    > Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?
                    >

                    > Kind regards,
                    >
                    > RetiredEngineer1

                  • Don Daugherty
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 9, 2011
                      On 11/3/2011 5:26 PM, Harold Noffke wrote:
                      > Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.
                      >

                      > Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?

                      It's not the same thing, and it may or may not be useful for you, but I
                      like the "close to Task-Bar" feature inherent in Win7's "pin to
                      task-bar" feature. If you haven't already tried it, the next time you
                      have NoteTab open, right-click on it's tab in the task-bar, and choose
                      "pin to task bar." When to program is later closed, it ends-up looking
                      like an icon in the old launch-tray of earlier versions of Windows. (If
                      you don't like it, right click and choose "Un-pin ...")
                      (An old engineering professor!)