Re: [NTB] Windows 7 recognizing note tab

  • Andy M
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
      GDay All,

      John you are quite correct but I have found that some users get a little
      confused by that method, so I normally recommend the older method,
      especially if the user is using WinXP or earlier.

      Thankfully, it still works in Win7 and it will also work in Win8 :)

      Regards
      Andy M

      On 1/11/2011 6:27 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
      > You can also use Start, Set Default Programs to do the same thing without having to browse first.
      >
      > Regards,
      > John
    • Computerhusky
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
        Hi,
        NoteTab has an option in the Help menu: replace MS Notepad.
        Tom

        Von meinem iPad gesendet

        Am 31.10.2011 um 21:09 schrieb Andy M <trumpy81@...>:

        > GDay,
        >
        > In order to open .txt files using Notetab follow these steps:
        >
        > 1. Open WINDOWS Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer)
        > 2. Navigate to a .txt file (can be anywhere on your system)
        > 3. Right click and hover over 'Open With'
        > 4. Select 'Choose default program ...' (Bottom of flyout)
        > 5. If Notetab is listed skip steps 6 & 7
        > 6. If Notetab is not listed click on the 'Browse' button
        > 7. Locate Notetab.exe (NotePro.exe) then click Open
        > 8. Make sure 'Always use the selected program to open ...' is checked.
        > 9. Click OK
        >
        > Now ALL .txt files will be opened in NoteTab.
        >
        > Regards
        > Andy M
        >
        > On 1/11/2011 12:24 AM, success_strategist wrote:
        > > I'm using standard version 4 in Windows 7. How do I get Windows 7 to
        > > recognize a text message as a note tab file instead of a notepad file?
        > > My C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Std is located in
        > > C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Std

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
          Interviewed by CNN on 31/10/2011 18:59, Computerhusky told the world:

          > NoteTab has an option in the Help menu: replace MS Notepad.

          Unfortunately this option hasn't work reliably for a long time, since
          Microsoft decided that Notepad is an "essential system file" and
          therefore shouldn't be replaced. Ever.

          There was a workaround for XP, but it doesn't work in Vista/7.

          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
          Sent from my walkie-talkie.
        • Bob Gorman
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
            Lately, for about 2 months, Note Tab disappears, exits memory.

            It's always when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
            of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
            application.

            Very annoying. I cranked the auto-save time way down to lose less...

            Has anyone else experienced this?

            I'm running Note tab Pro 6.2 on windows XP.

            Bob

            --
            *God* gave us grapes;
            *Entrepreneurs* gave us wine.

          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
              That doesn't work in Windows 7.

              Regards,
              John

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                Hi,
                Sorry, you're right.
                But what does work ( I tested it under Windows 7) is:
                Inside NoteTab, open
                View - Options
                Go to the tab "Associations"
                put "txt" into the list of Associated File Extensions ( and any other file types you want to open with NoteTab automatically)
                OK

                Kind regards
                Tom

                Von meinem iPad gesendet

                Am 31.10.2011 um 23:03 schrieb "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>:

                > That doesn't work in Windows 7.
                >
                > Regards,
                > John

              • Don
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                  No and I am on WinXP as well. I suspect maybe a drain somewhere on
                  memory is occurring?

                  On 10/31/2011 5:19 PM, Bob Gorman wrote:
                  > Lately, for about 2 months, Note Tab disappears, exits memory.
                  >
                  > It's always when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
                  > of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
                  > application.
                  >
                  > Very annoying. I cranked the auto-save time way down to lose less...
                  >
                  > Has anyone else experienced this?
                  >
                  > I'm running Note tab Pro 6.2 on windows XP.
                  >
                  > Bob

                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                    NoteTab has issues with clipboard capturing.
                    I have had interference with several other applications:

                    Adobe Reader often generates an error, when trying to copy selected text into NoteTab's pasteboard.

                    Fidelity's WealthLab crashes, when NoteTab's pasteboard is enabled, and I try to cut & paste within the WealthLab editor.

                    What applications do you have problems with?

                    Also, take a look at taskmanager after NoteTab disappears, and see if NotePro.exe is still running, despite having disappeared.

                    Report these things to Fookes as bugs.

                    Finally, it may help to reinstall NoteTab. Sometimes parts of NoteTab get corrupted during heavy memory use; or when you shut-domw by hibernation or stand-by, applications can be interfered with.

                    Eb

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gorman <bgorman@...> wrote:

                    > ... Note Tab disappears, exits memory.
                    > ... when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
                    > of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
                    > application.
                    > --
                    > *God* gave us grapes;
                    > *Entrepreneurs* gave us wine.

                    Hmm, I thought Monks gave us wine?
                  • Harold Noffke
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
                      Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.

                      Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?

                      Kind regards,

                      RetiredEngineer1

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 5, 2011
                        Your message came through garbled, but if you mean to set the "Show Icon in System Tray" option, W7 seems to have some internal clean-up for the task tray. Why not use the "pin icon to the task BAR" instead?

                        Right-click on the taskbar icon for NoteTab, and select "Pin this program to taskbar". I have no trouble with pinned icons disappearing after slepp mode or restarts.

                        Cheers,

                        Eb

                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Harold Noffke <noffkehw@...> wrote:

                        > Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.
                        >

                        > Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?
                        >

                        > Kind regards,
                        >
                        > RetiredEngineer1

                      • Don Daugherty
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 9, 2011
                          On 11/3/2011 5:26 PM, Harold Noffke wrote:
                          > Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.
                          >

                          > Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?

                          It's not the same thing, and it may or may not be useful for you, but I
                          like the "close to Task-Bar" feature inherent in Win7's "pin to
                          task-bar" feature. If you haven't already tried it, the next time you
                          have NoteTab open, right-click on it's tab in the task-bar, and choose
                          "pin to task bar." When to program is later closed, it ends-up looking
                          like an icon in the old launch-tray of earlier versions of Windows. (If
                          you don't like it, right click and choose "Un-pin ...")
                          (An old engineering professor!)