RE: [NTB] Windows 7 recognizing note tab

  • Stan Mann
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
      Thank you, Andy. It worked like a charm.

      Best wishes,

      ~Stan Mann

      877-261-0550

      Free trial to Biz Success newsletter for business owners and executives
      only.

      Plus BONUS "Unlocking the Secrets of Successful Entrepreneurs."

      You'll save years of struggle.

      Click here: <http://www.stanmann.com/subscribe/>
      http://www.stanmann.com/subscribe/

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
        You can also use Start, Set Default Programs to do the same thing without having to browse first.

        Regards,
        John

        In order to open .txt files using Notetab follow these steps:

        1. Open WINDOWS Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer)
        2. Navigate to a .txt file (can be anywhere on your system)
        3. Right click and hover over 'Open With'
        4. Select 'Choose default program ...' (Bottom of flyout)
        5. If Notetab is listed skip steps 6 & 7
        6. If Notetab is not listed click on the 'Browse' button
        7. Locate Notetab.exe (NotePro.exe) then click Open
        8. Make sure 'Always use the selected program to open ...' is checked.
        9. Click OK

        Now ALL .txt files will be opened in NoteTab.

        Regards
        Andy M

        On 1/11/2011 12:24 AM, success_strategist wrote:
        > I'm using standard version 4 in Windows 7. How do I get Windows 7 to
        > recognize a text message as a note tab file instead of a notepad file?
        > My C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Std is located in
        > C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Std

      • Andy M
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
          GDay All,

          John you are quite correct but I have found that some users get a little
          confused by that method, so I normally recommend the older method,
          especially if the user is using WinXP or earlier.

          Thankfully, it still works in Win7 and it will also work in Win8 :)

          Regards
          Andy M

          On 1/11/2011 6:27 AM, John Shotsky wrote:
          > You can also use Start, Set Default Programs to do the same thing without having to browse first.
          >
          > Regards,
          > John
        • Computerhusky
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
            Hi,
            NoteTab has an option in the Help menu: replace MS Notepad.
            Tom

            Von meinem iPad gesendet

            Am 31.10.2011 um 21:09 schrieb Andy M <trumpy81@...>:

            > GDay,
            >
            > In order to open .txt files using Notetab follow these steps:
            >
            > 1. Open WINDOWS Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer)
            > 2. Navigate to a .txt file (can be anywhere on your system)
            > 3. Right click and hover over 'Open With'
            > 4. Select 'Choose default program ...' (Bottom of flyout)
            > 5. If Notetab is listed skip steps 6 & 7
            > 6. If Notetab is not listed click on the 'Browse' button
            > 7. Locate Notetab.exe (NotePro.exe) then click Open
            > 8. Make sure 'Always use the selected program to open ...' is checked.
            > 9. Click OK
            >
            > Now ALL .txt files will be opened in NoteTab.
            >
            > Regards
            > Andy M
            >
            > On 1/11/2011 12:24 AM, success_strategist wrote:
            > > I'm using standard version 4 in Windows 7. How do I get Windows 7 to
            > > recognize a text message as a note tab file instead of a notepad file?
            > > My C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Std is located in
            > > C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Std

          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
              Interviewed by CNN on 31/10/2011 18:59, Computerhusky told the world:

              > NoteTab has an option in the Help menu: replace MS Notepad.

              Unfortunately this option hasn't work reliably for a long time, since
              Microsoft decided that Notepad is an "essential system file" and
              therefore shouldn't be replaced. Ever.

              There was a workaround for XP, but it doesn't work in Vista/7.

              --
              MCBastos

              use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
              Sent from my walkie-talkie.
            • Bob Gorman
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                Lately, for about 2 months, Note Tab disappears, exits memory.

                It's always when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
                of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
                application.

                Very annoying. I cranked the auto-save time way down to lose less...

                Has anyone else experienced this?

                I'm running Note tab Pro 6.2 on windows XP.

                Bob

                --
                *God* gave us grapes;
                *Entrepreneurs* gave us wine.

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                  That doesn't work in Windows 7.

                  Regards,
                  John

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 31, 2011
                    Hi,
                    Sorry, you're right.
                    But what does work ( I tested it under Windows 7) is:
                    Inside NoteTab, open
                    View - Options
                    Go to the tab "Associations"
                    put "txt" into the list of Associated File Extensions ( and any other file types you want to open with NoteTab automatically)
                    OK

                    Kind regards
                    Tom

                    Von meinem iPad gesendet

                    Am 31.10.2011 um 23:03 schrieb "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>:

                    > That doesn't work in Windows 7.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > John

                  • Don
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                      No and I am on WinXP as well. I suspect maybe a drain somewhere on
                      memory is occurring?

                      On 10/31/2011 5:19 PM, Bob Gorman wrote:
                      > Lately, for about 2 months, Note Tab disappears, exits memory.
                      >
                      > It's always when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
                      > of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
                      > application.
                      >
                      > Very annoying. I cranked the auto-save time way down to lose less...
                      >
                      > Has anyone else experienced this?
                      >
                      > I'm running Note tab Pro 6.2 on windows XP.
                      >
                      > Bob

                    • Eb
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 1, 2011
                        NoteTab has issues with clipboard capturing.
                        I have had interference with several other applications:

                        Adobe Reader often generates an error, when trying to copy selected text into NoteTab's pasteboard.

                        Fidelity's WealthLab crashes, when NoteTab's pasteboard is enabled, and I try to cut & paste within the WealthLab editor.

                        What applications do you have problems with?

                        Also, take a look at taskmanager after NoteTab disappears, and see if NotePro.exe is still running, despite having disappeared.

                        Report these things to Fookes as bugs.

                        Finally, it may help to reinstall NoteTab. Sometimes parts of NoteTab get corrupted during heavy memory use; or when you shut-domw by hibernation or stand-by, applications can be interfered with.

                        Eb

                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Bob Gorman <bgorman@...> wrote:

                        > ... Note Tab disappears, exits memory.
                        > ... when I have Paste board enabled, and at the moment
                        > of doing a copy from another application! Yes, more than 1
                        > application.
                        > --
                        > *God* gave us grapes;
                        > *Entrepreneurs* gave us wine.

                        Hmm, I thought Monks gave us wine?
                      • Harold Noffke
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
                          Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.

                          Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?

                          Kind regards,

                          RetiredEngineer1

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 5, 2011
                            Your message came through garbled, but if you mean to set the "Show Icon in System Tray" option, W7 seems to have some internal clean-up for the task tray. Why not use the "pin icon to the task BAR" instead?

                            Right-click on the taskbar icon for NoteTab, and select "Pin this program to taskbar". I have no trouble with pinned icons disappearing after slepp mode or restarts.

                            Cheers,

                            Eb

                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Harold Noffke <noffkehw@...> wrote:

                            > Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.
                            >

                            > Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?
                            >

                            > Kind regards,
                            >
                            > RetiredEngineer1

                          • Don Daugherty
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 9, 2011
                              On 11/3/2011 5:26 PM, Harold Noffke wrote:
                              > Another thing which doesn’t work for NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv in Windows 7 is setting “Show Icon and Notifications” in the “Customize” pane of the pop-out System Tray. This is where I like to see NT on Startup, just as if I has just minimized or closed it. Although I have to keep resetting “Show Icon and Notifications” when I start up (to pull the NT icon out of the pop-out tray into the onscreen tray), the next time I Shutdown/Restart I find W7 has not retained the “Show icon” setting, and the whole process starts all over again.
                              >

                              > Has anyone tinkered with this and found a way to make “Show Icon” stick to NT across Shutdown/Restart cycles?

                              It's not the same thing, and it may or may not be useful for you, but I
                              like the "close to Task-Bar" feature inherent in Win7's "pin to
                              task-bar" feature. If you haven't already tried it, the next time you
                              have NoteTab open, right-click on it's tab in the task-bar, and choose
                              "pin to task bar." When to program is later closed, it ends-up looking
                              like an icon in the old launch-tray of earlier versions of Windows. (If
                              you don't like it, right click and choose "Un-pin ...")
                              (An old engineering professor!)