Re: Simple cut and paste question

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Len" <texan_racer@...> wrote:

      > Hey all,
      > I have a question about cut and paste,
      > You would think it's so simple, what could there be to ask?
      >
      > But sometimes, when I paste into Notetab it puts in spaces!!
      > (and Windows Notepad does the same)
      >
      > So now I have to go click each space and delete.
      > In some long url's, there's a lot of spaces to click!!
      >
      > Here's a short example of one I copied (that had no spaces!),
      > and yet when I pasted it, showed up like this:
      >
      > http://www.youtube com/watch? v=YtrnB4FZ- yc
      >

      > Obviously, should be:
      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrnB4FZ-yc
      >

      > Anybody know why it does this?
      > and any way to correct this?

      That would have more to do with the program you're copying from and how you are initiating the copy than the one you're pasting to. For example for one of the apps I use, if I highlight something and click Copy in its menu, it puts the highlighted text onto the clipboard in lower case. But if I instead press Ctrl+C I get the original mixed text case on the clipboard.

      If copying from HTML pages displayed in a browser, maybe there are HTML entities or other conversion factors at play.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2011
        On 10/26/2011 9:13 AM, Sheri wrote:
        > > Anybody know why it does this?
        > > and any way to correct this?

        The solution is the find/replace tool.

        Find one of the double spaces and highlight the double spaces, Hold
        down the CTRL button and press R.

        The highlighted "spces" will be in the upper box of the pop-up.
        type a single space in the lower box, check off "replace all. and hit
        the enter button. Repeat until it find NO instances. If it find no
        instances a but you still see places which look like double spaces
        re-highlight one of those to see what is really there. and replace
        those with a single space if you want To eliminate those.

        The same can be done with returns, Some programs use different "hidden"
        character to do a line end return. Note Tab uses ^P for returns, and ^T
        for Tabs. a ^P^P is a paragraph break in VISUAL presentation (Not HTML).

        --

        __

        Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

        These are the dawning days of the third American Revolution. Now is when we reckon the costs of what we have and consider the costs of getting to what we desire for our children's children.

        Survival is the knowledge, willingness, and readiness to act immediately, in avoidance, when the biological contamination is impelled in a lateral pathway to a catastrophic interface with the helical centrifugal aerodynamic oscillator impeller, and is non-systematically allocated in an accelerated radial dispersion arc of universal non-uniform bio-toxic distribution, which results in a non-recoverable situational status. (WTSHTF)
      • Len
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 27, 2011
          Hi Jeff,
          thanks for the reply.
          That was actually me that wrote that, not Sheri.

          I have used find/replace when I have several rows of links to
          fix, but if I just have one link, then it seems faster to just
          work my way over to the spaces and delete them. I just wish it
          wouldn't do it in the first place!!

          Sheri, I'll try it and see if a difference if I do Edit/Copy
          rather than ^C.

          and I see that I accidentally attached a pic of Il Divo to my
          email. I sorry, have no idea how I did that!

          Len in Dallas

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2011
            Which browser do you use and what web page were you copying from?

            Regards,
            Sheri