deleting a line with 1-3 'random' digits

  • connie
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
      Hi,

      In a copied page of posts from a Yahoo Group, there would be several lines like the following:

      Reply | Messages in this Topic (79)

      - with Word I can insert codes for "any digit" and remove (replace with either blank or space) all those lines in three passes, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do the same with Note Tab Lite.

      I'm hoping someone will kindly give the solution.

      thanking you in advance,
      connie
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2011
        Interviewed by CNN on 05/10/2011 22:30, connie told the world:
        > Hi,
        >
        > In a copied page of posts from a Yahoo Group, there would be several lines like the following:
        >
        > Reply | Messages in this Topic (79)
        >
        > - with Word I can insert codes for "any digit" and remove (replace with either blank or space) all those lines in three passes, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do the same with Note Tab Lite.
        >
        > I'm hoping someone will kindly give the solution.

        Oh, that's easy... if you use regular expressions, which is kind of the
        "advanced mode" of Search & Replace.

        Regular expressions (regexps for short) not only have codes for "any
        digit" but also for a lot of other neat stuff.

        In your example, I would search for the following regexp:

        Reply \| Messages in this Topic \(\d+\) \r\n

        and replace it with a blank string. It should get all the lines in a
        single pass, no matter how many digits long is the number.

        (Note: the blank spaces after the closing parenthesis match the blank
        spaces on your example string.)

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my magic mirror.
        *Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.4 *
      • connie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2011
          Thank you so very much, MCBastos!
          lol, it does seem really easy now that you’ve shown me where I was missing backslashes
          best wishes,
          connie