Re: [NTB] Load a file into second window

  • Len
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
      Good joke!
      Dragging didn't work.
      I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging from the F6 index on the side.
      Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a doc into second window?

      Thanks,
      Len in Dallas

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:

      > Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
      >
      > > How to load a file into the second window?
      > >
      > > I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
      > > then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
      > > the file loads into window 1.
      > >
      > > Anyway to get it to load into the second window?
      >
      > You can drag the file to the desired window.
      >
      > Alex.

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
        On 2011-09-13 14:12, Len wrote:
        > Dragging didn't work.
        > I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging
        > from the F6 index on the side.
        > Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a doc into second window?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Len in Dallas
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
        > >
        > > > How to load a file into the second window?
        First make sure [Second Window] is one of your toolbuttons.
        Following in my results from retesting (I always used to have problems
        understanding how to get *exactly* the desired files positioned left and
        right too :-( )

        Starting from only one window displayed clicking [Second Window] will
        put curr-file in right and file to left of it in tab bar in the left
        window *except* if curr-file is left most (File_1) then File_1 goes to
        right window and File_2 goes to left window.

        From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
        *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
        Thus, if you want to get a specific file (File_R) in right-window, click
        [Second Window] again (result is a single window), click on File_R tab
        which makes it the only file, then again on [Second Window] which makes
        it the right window contents.

        Now click on the tab for file initially desired in left window (File_L)
        *ALL DONE* :-)

        Note: if you right-click on any tab and select [Allow reordering] you
        can drag drop files in the tab bar and thereby get desired files a
        little easier.
        For some reason [Allow reordering] does NOT get remembered across
        Notetab sessions. IIRC, Eric once gave explanation/reasoning for why
        this is so but I just live with it and turn it on when needed. ;-)

      • Alex Plantema
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
          Op dinsdag 13 september 2011 20:12 schreef Len:

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
          >>
          >>> How to load a file into the second window?
          >>>
          >>> I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
          >>> then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
          >>> the file loads into window 1.
          >>>
          >>> Anyway to get it to load into the second window?
          >>
          >> You can drag the file to the desired window.
          >
          > Good joke!
          > Dragging didn't work.
          > I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging
          > from the F6 index on the side. Anyone have any suggestions how I can
          > get a doc into second window?

          You can drag it from Windows Explorer to the Notetab window.
          --

          Alex.

          A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
          Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
          A: Top-posting.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
            On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
            <buralex@...> said (in part):

            > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
            > *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
            Correction - if focus is in the left window and your click [Second
            window] the files will be interchanged.
            I *think* the rest of what I wrote is correct.

          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
              Alec,

              Thanks for the analysis and tip. I long ago put the dual window link on my
              toolbar but never bothered to ferret out the logic. I just got annoyed
              every time I had to click, click, click to get the order right.

              It may take a while for me to retrain the method but two clicks to switch
              panels and one click to reload panel 1 shouldn't be TOO hard to remember.
              Even with senioritis! ;-)

              BTW - It would be interesting to hear Eric's logic on why he didn't make
              the "allow reordering" option setting to be retainable. I can't think of a
              single reason and it is a PITA to have to reset it each time.

              Art

              Sometines you're the bug. Sometimes you're the windshield!
              -
              Dire Straits

              At 09/13/2011 12:32, you wrote:
              >On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
              ><<mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>buralex@...> said (in part):
              > >
              > > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
              > > *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
              >Correction - if focus is in the left window and your click [Second
              >window] the files will be interchanged.
              >I *think* the rest of what I wrote is correct.
              >--
              >Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)
            • Harold Noffke
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                Art,

                Re: . make the "allow reordering" option setting to be retainable.

                I did not know it was possible to do this. I've used NTP for over a decade,
                and often wished this setting could be set as checked.

                Can you please direct me to a how-to on this topic? I am fully current with
                NTP v6.2/fv.

                Kind regards,

                RetiredEngineer1

                At 09/13/2011 12:32, you wrote:
                >On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
                ><<mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>buralex@... <mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>
                > said (in part):
                > >
                > > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
                > > *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
                >Correction - if focus is in the left window and your click [Second
                >window] the files will be interchanged.
                >I *think* the rest of what I wrote is correct.
                >--
                >Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

              • jeff
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                  Try reopening it with the File command and see if it reopens where you
                  want it.

                  Jeff

                  On 9/13/2011 11:12 AM, Len wrote:
                  > Good joke!
                  > Dragging didn't work.
                  > I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging from the F6 index on the side.
                  > Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a doc into second window?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Len in Dallas
                  >
                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema"<alex.plantema@...> wrote:
                  >> Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
                  >>
                  >>> How to load a file into the second window?
                  >>>
                  >>> I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
                  >>> then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
                  >>> the file loads into window 1.
                  >>>
                  >>> Anyway to get it to load into the second window?
                  >> You can drag the file to the desired window.
                  >>
                  >> Alex.

                  __

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                  These are the dawning days of the third American Revolution. Now is when we reckon the costs of what we have and consider the costs of getting to what we desire for our children's children.

                  Survival is the knowledge, willingness, and readiness to act immediately, in avoidance, when the biological contamination is impelled in a lateral pathway to a catastrophic interface with the helical centrifugal aerodynamic oscillator impeller, and is non-systematically allocated in an accelerated radial dispersion arc of universal non-uniform bio-toxic distribution, which results in a non-recoverable situational status. (WTSHTF)
                • Len
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 14, 2011
                    > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
                    > <buralex@...> said (in part):
                    > >
                    > > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.

                    Thanks for the additional explanation!
                    and sorry, I didn't realize it was so complicated.

                    I didn't even realize there WAS a Second Window button, which thanks to you I have now added.

                    Len

                    PS not top posting is a hard habit to break!