Re: [NTB] Load a file into second window

  • Alex Plantema
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 5, 2011
      Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:

      > How to load a file into the second window?
      >
      > I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
      > then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
      > the file loads into window 1.
      >
      > Anyway to get it to load into the second window?

      You can drag the file to the desired window.

      Alex.
    • Len
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
        Good joke!
        Dragging didn't work.
        I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging from the F6 index on the side.
        Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a doc into second window?

        Thanks,
        Len in Dallas

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:

        > Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
        >
        > > How to load a file into the second window?
        > >
        > > I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
        > > then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
        > > the file loads into window 1.
        > >
        > > Anyway to get it to load into the second window?
        >
        > You can drag the file to the desired window.
        >
        > Alex.

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
          On 2011-09-13 14:12, Len wrote:
          > Dragging didn't work.
          > I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging
          > from the F6 index on the side.
          > Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a doc into second window?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Len in Dallas
          >
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
          > >
          > > > How to load a file into the second window?
          First make sure [Second Window] is one of your toolbuttons.
          Following in my results from retesting (I always used to have problems
          understanding how to get *exactly* the desired files positioned left and
          right too :-( )

          Starting from only one window displayed clicking [Second Window] will
          put curr-file in right and file to left of it in tab bar in the left
          window *except* if curr-file is left most (File_1) then File_1 goes to
          right window and File_2 goes to left window.

          From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
          *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
          Thus, if you want to get a specific file (File_R) in right-window, click
          [Second Window] again (result is a single window), click on File_R tab
          which makes it the only file, then again on [Second Window] which makes
          it the right window contents.

          Now click on the tab for file initially desired in left window (File_L)
          *ALL DONE* :-)

          Note: if you right-click on any tab and select [Allow reordering] you
          can drag drop files in the tab bar and thereby get desired files a
          little easier.
          For some reason [Allow reordering] does NOT get remembered across
          Notetab sessions. IIRC, Eric once gave explanation/reasoning for why
          this is so but I just live with it and turn it on when needed. ;-)

        • Alex Plantema
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
            Op dinsdag 13 september 2011 20:12 schreef Len:

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
            >>
            >>> How to load a file into the second window?
            >>>
            >>> I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
            >>> then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
            >>> the file loads into window 1.
            >>>
            >>> Anyway to get it to load into the second window?
            >>
            >> You can drag the file to the desired window.
            >
            > Good joke!
            > Dragging didn't work.
            > I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging
            > from the F6 index on the side. Anyone have any suggestions how I can
            > get a doc into second window?

            You can drag it from Windows Explorer to the Notetab window.
            --

            Alex.

            A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
            Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
            A: Top-posting.
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
              On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
              <buralex@...> said (in part):

              > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
              > *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
              Correction - if focus is in the left window and your click [Second
              window] the files will be interchanged.
              I *think* the rest of what I wrote is correct.

            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                Alec,

                Thanks for the analysis and tip. I long ago put the dual window link on my
                toolbar but never bothered to ferret out the logic. I just got annoyed
                every time I had to click, click, click to get the order right.

                It may take a while for me to retrain the method but two clicks to switch
                panels and one click to reload panel 1 shouldn't be TOO hard to remember.
                Even with senioritis! ;-)

                BTW - It would be interesting to hear Eric's logic on why he didn't make
                the "allow reordering" option setting to be retainable. I can't think of a
                single reason and it is a PITA to have to reset it each time.

                Art

                Sometines you're the bug. Sometimes you're the windshield!
                -
                Dire Straits

                At 09/13/2011 12:32, you wrote:
                >On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
                ><<mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>buralex@...> said (in part):
                > >
                > > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
                > > *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
                >Correction - if focus is in the left window and your click [Second
                >window] the files will be interchanged.
                >I *think* the rest of what I wrote is correct.
                >--
                >Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)
              • Harold Noffke
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                  Art,

                  Re: . make the "allow reordering" option setting to be retainable.

                  I did not know it was possible to do this. I've used NTP for over a decade,
                  and often wished this setting could be set as checked.

                  Can you please direct me to a how-to on this topic? I am fully current with
                  NTP v6.2/fv.

                  Kind regards,

                  RetiredEngineer1

                  At 09/13/2011 12:32, you wrote:
                  >On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
                  ><<mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>buralex@... <mailto:buralex%40gmail.com>
                  > said (in part):
                  > >
                  > > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.
                  > > *NOTHING* will change the right window's file.
                  >Correction - if focus is in the left window and your click [Second
                  >window] the files will be interchanged.
                  >I *think* the rest of what I wrote is correct.
                  >--
                  >Regards ... Alec (buralex@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burgess@skype)

                • jeff
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                    Try reopening it with the File command and see if it reopens where you
                    want it.

                    Jeff

                    On 9/13/2011 11:12 AM, Len wrote:
                    > Good joke!
                    > Dragging didn't work.
                    > I tried dragging from the tabs along the top, and I tried dragging from the F6 index on the side.
                    > Anyone have any suggestions how I can get a doc into second window?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Len in Dallas
                    >
                    > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema"<alex.plantema@...> wrote:
                    >> Op maandag 5 september 2011 06:36 schreef Len:
                    >>
                    >>> How to load a file into the second window?
                    >>>
                    >>> I click inside the file that is already in the second window,
                    >>> then clk to open a file. well, guess what?
                    >>> the file loads into window 1.
                    >>>
                    >>> Anyway to get it to load into the second window?
                    >> You can drag the file to the desired window.
                    >>
                    >> Alex.

                    __

                    Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG

                    These are the dawning days of the third American Revolution. Now is when we reckon the costs of what we have and consider the costs of getting to what we desire for our children's children.

                    Survival is the knowledge, willingness, and readiness to act immediately, in avoidance, when the biological contamination is impelled in a lateral pathway to a catastrophic interface with the helical centrifugal aerodynamic oscillator impeller, and is non-systematically allocated in an accelerated radial dispersion arc of universal non-uniform bio-toxic distribution, which results in a non-recoverable situational status. (WTSHTF)
                  • Len
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 14, 2011
                      > On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:26:47 -0400 Alec Burgess
                      > <buralex@...> said (in part):
                      > >
                      > > From then on any clicks on tab bar replace left window's file.

                      Thanks for the additional explanation!
                      and sorry, I didn't realize it was so complicated.

                      I didn't even realize there WAS a Second Window button, which thanks to you I have now added.

                      Len

                      PS not top posting is a hard habit to break!