Re: [NTB] Will NoteTabPro be supported in Windows 8?

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
      Interviewed by CNN on 31/08/2011 09:38, stevetbon1 told the world:

      > Hi folks
      >
      > Have been looking to replace my old XP machine and am about to
      > buy one with Win 7 Pro because I want a guarantee that it will run
      > my older programs including NoteTab.
      >
      > While in Staples last week, one of the computer geeks there said he is part of the Win 8 beta test program and that he believed emulation and XP are now dirty words at Mr Softy. He is only running Vista or 7 era programs, so could not confirm earlier program compatibility.
      >
      > Does anyone have solid info on this particular aspect of Win 8?

      No I don't have, but I should mention that I'm running Notetab Pro in
      Windows 7 x64 with *no* special settings. Notetab runs fine natively.

      As for aforementioned geek's claims, well... I have heard any number of
      wild theories from computer technicians, journalists and know-it-all
      forum dwellers over the years. Take it with a grain of salt. The size of
      Texas.

      First, consider that there's not much difference between a "Vista
      program" and a "XP program," which would make it hard to make a cutoff
      work reliably. Especially considering that, due to Vista's lackluster
      sales performance, there's still very few Vista-and-above-only programs
      in the market.

      It's possible (even likely), however, that Win8 will be available only
      in x64 version. That automatically makes it incompatible with very old,
      Windows 3.x 16-bit programs. These have already been obsoleted by Vista
      x64 and Windows 7 x64. But those still run XP-era (and even 9x-era)
      programs.

      Could Microsoft stop supporting 32-bit programs, and demand only x64
      ones? Well, they could, technically. And that would have the effect of
      blocking all the XP-era programs. But, here's the thing: it would also
      block more than 90% of all other software, including many from Microsoft
      itself. And that goes so against Microsoft's history of offering wide
      compatibility that I doubt they would dare doing it.

      Microsoft is not Apple; they can't impose a change and hope the market
      will follow blindly. Vista proved that, and . They want Win8 to be a
      success, not be rejected by the consumers like Vista (and "it does not
      run apps I bought just last year" is a much more serious breakage than
      "vista is slow and this UAC is annoying"). And it is important to their
      longer-term strategy that it is a success, because it will help push
      sales of Windows Phone through tight integration between the platforms.

      XP is a dirty word in Microsoft right now? Well, kinda. They would
      really like if XP users upgraded to 7 -- it would reduce their support
      expenses, their bad press due to security problems and so forth. But
      they promised a few years more of support, and they will have to live
      with it.

      Emulation is a dirty word...? I very much doubt that. Microsoft is
      investing heavily into virtual machine technology. They are talking
      about offering a consumer-version of Windows for ARM CPUs (they do offer
      an Itanium version of Windows Server, but servers run in much more
      controlled situations, not needing wide compatibility), for instance.
      Since they have no way to *make* developers offer an ARM version of
      their applications, that means emulation would be an important asset to it.

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my cave wall paintings.
    • Andy M
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
        GDay All,

        I currently have Microsoft Windows 8 Milestone 1 v6.1.7850.0 installed
        in VMWare Workstation 7 and I can confirm that NoteTab Pro v6.2 FV
        installs and runs with no problem at all.

        As Windows 8, like all versions of Windows since '95, is built upon it's
        predecessor, Windows 7, I see no immediate problems running NoteTab
        under Windows 8 when it is released.

        Any small incompatibilities between NoteTab and Windows 8 at the time of
        it's release, will no doubt be rectified in short order. Although, I
        doubt that any will exist.

        --
        Regards
        Andy M