Re: [NTB] Will NoteTabPro be supported in Windows 8?

  • Don
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2011
      Well given that most recent windows ops allowed you to roll back and run
      something under a prior I gotta believe you will do fine.

      On 8/29/2011 9:58 AM, Martyn wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am working on a fairly major clip and would appreciate some confirmation that NoteTabPro be supported in Windows 8. I hope so. I have been using it for about 10 years and want to continue to be able to use it for years more.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      > Martyn
    • stevetbon1
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
        Hi folks

        Have been looking to replace my old XP machine and am about to
        buy one with Win 7 Pro because I want a guarantee that it will run
        my older programs including NoteTab.

        While in Staples last week, one of the computer geeks there said he is part of the Win 8 beta test program and that he believed emulation and XP are now dirty words at Mr Softy. He is only running Vista or 7 era programs, so could not confirm earlier program compatibility.

        Does anyone have solid info on this particular aspect of Win 8?

        Steve in Thunder Bay, ON

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:
        > Well given that most recent windows ops allowed you to roll back and run
        > something under a prior I gotta believe you will do fine.

        > On 8/29/2011 9:58 AM, Martyn wrote:
        > > I am working on a fairly major clip and would appreciate some confirmation that NoteTabPro be supported in Windows 8. I hope so. I have been using it for about 10 years and want to continue to be able to use it for years more.
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
          I'd ask Microsoft. But, since business is a huge part of Microsoft's market, and businesses tend to have their own
          in-house software, if MS developed an operating system that wouldn't run their software, they wouldn't change OS. That's
          the mistake they made with Vista, and it tanked in the business world. Win 7 runs old programs just fine, and even runs
          16 bit stuff if you use the 'xp' mode. That's how I run really old games and other programs on my Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
          machine.

          I find it highly unlikely that MS would step in the same pile twice.

          Regards,
          John

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> , Don <don@...> wrote:
          > Well given that most recent windows ops allowed you to roll back and run
          > something under a prior I gotta believe you will do fine.

          > On 8/29/2011 9:58 AM, Martyn wrote:
          > > I am working on a fairly major clip and would appreciate some confirmation that NoteTabPro be supported in Windows
          8. I hope so. I have been using it for about 10 years and want to continue to be able to use it for years more.

        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
            Interviewed by CNN on 31/08/2011 09:38, stevetbon1 told the world:

            > Hi folks
            >
            > Have been looking to replace my old XP machine and am about to
            > buy one with Win 7 Pro because I want a guarantee that it will run
            > my older programs including NoteTab.
            >
            > While in Staples last week, one of the computer geeks there said he is part of the Win 8 beta test program and that he believed emulation and XP are now dirty words at Mr Softy. He is only running Vista or 7 era programs, so could not confirm earlier program compatibility.
            >
            > Does anyone have solid info on this particular aspect of Win 8?

            No I don't have, but I should mention that I'm running Notetab Pro in
            Windows 7 x64 with *no* special settings. Notetab runs fine natively.

            As for aforementioned geek's claims, well... I have heard any number of
            wild theories from computer technicians, journalists and know-it-all
            forum dwellers over the years. Take it with a grain of salt. The size of
            Texas.

            First, consider that there's not much difference between a "Vista
            program" and a "XP program," which would make it hard to make a cutoff
            work reliably. Especially considering that, due to Vista's lackluster
            sales performance, there's still very few Vista-and-above-only programs
            in the market.

            It's possible (even likely), however, that Win8 will be available only
            in x64 version. That automatically makes it incompatible with very old,
            Windows 3.x 16-bit programs. These have already been obsoleted by Vista
            x64 and Windows 7 x64. But those still run XP-era (and even 9x-era)
            programs.

            Could Microsoft stop supporting 32-bit programs, and demand only x64
            ones? Well, they could, technically. And that would have the effect of
            blocking all the XP-era programs. But, here's the thing: it would also
            block more than 90% of all other software, including many from Microsoft
            itself. And that goes so against Microsoft's history of offering wide
            compatibility that I doubt they would dare doing it.

            Microsoft is not Apple; they can't impose a change and hope the market
            will follow blindly. Vista proved that, and . They want Win8 to be a
            success, not be rejected by the consumers like Vista (and "it does not
            run apps I bought just last year" is a much more serious breakage than
            "vista is slow and this UAC is annoying"). And it is important to their
            longer-term strategy that it is a success, because it will help push
            sales of Windows Phone through tight integration between the platforms.

            XP is a dirty word in Microsoft right now? Well, kinda. They would
            really like if XP users upgraded to 7 -- it would reduce their support
            expenses, their bad press due to security problems and so forth. But
            they promised a few years more of support, and they will have to live
            with it.

            Emulation is a dirty word...? I very much doubt that. Microsoft is
            investing heavily into virtual machine technology. They are talking
            about offering a consumer-version of Windows for ARM CPUs (they do offer
            an Itanium version of Windows Server, but servers run in much more
            controlled situations, not needing wide compatibility), for instance.
            Since they have no way to *make* developers offer an ARM version of
            their applications, that means emulation would be an important asset to it.

            --
            MCBastos

            use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

            -=-=-
            ... Sent from my cave wall paintings.
          • Andy M
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 31, 2011
              GDay All,

              I currently have Microsoft Windows 8 Milestone 1 v6.1.7850.0 installed
              in VMWare Workstation 7 and I can confirm that NoteTab Pro v6.2 FV
              installs and runs with no problem at all.

              As Windows 8, like all versions of Windows since '95, is built upon it's
              predecessor, Windows 7, I see no immediate problems running NoteTab
              under Windows 8 when it is released.

              Any small incompatibilities between NoteTab and Windows 8 at the time of
              it's release, will no doubt be rectified in short order. Although, I
              doubt that any will exist.

              --
              Regards
              Andy M