Saving an OTL file Ratchet-style

  • RoyB
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
      (NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit)

      Several times a day I update an OTL I use as a glossary. Until recently it contained over 2,740 headings. Some kind of editing disaster occurred last week, and it now contains 700 *fewer* headings. Obviously I did not notice it until after I'd saved it and re-saved it a few times, thus propagating the disaster to the .BAK file.

      I recently changed PCs and OS's which might have caused the truncation somehow, but that's not what I'm trying to troubleshoot in this thread.

      I use OTL outlines mostly to capture queries and other work products through the course of the day. In the 10 years I've used NoteTab Pro, *every* time I saved an .OTL it was with the expectation that the .OTL and .BAK files would be larger than they were before the update.

      Therefore, I ask:

      (1) Is there an NoteTab option that can force a warning if saving an Outline (or other file) will cause that file to be smaller than it is currently ?

      (2) If not, then is there a way to (a) Write a NoteTab script to check relative file sizes and if all's well save the file; (b) Have the Save icon run that script instead of what it's doing now; and (c) Have the "Automatic save every (n) minutes" use this rachet-style saver script ?

      (3) Or does anyone know of a third-party utility or tool that I could configure to prevent a .BAK file from being over-written by a smaller version of that file ?

      Thanks for any instructions, insights or rumors that may help !

      -- Roy Beatty
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
        On 2011-08-21 20:15, RoyB wrote:
        > (NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit)
        >
        > Several times a day I update an OTL I use as a glossary. Until
        > recently it contained over 2,740 headings. Some kind of editing
        > disaster occurred last week, and it now contains 700 *fewer* headings.
        > Obviously I did not notice it until after I'd saved it and re-saved it
        > a few times, thus propagating the disaster to the .BAK file.
        >
        > I recently changed PCs and OS's which might have caused the truncation
        > somehow, but that's not what I'm trying to troubleshoot in this thread.
        >
        > I use OTL outlines mostly to capture queries and other work products
        > through the course of the day. In the 10 years I've used NoteTab Pro,
        > *every* time I saved an .OTL it was with the expectation that the .OTL
        > and .BAK files would be larger than they were before the update.
        >
        > Therefore, I ask:
        >
        > (1) Is there an NoteTab option that can force a warning if saving an
        > Outline (or other file) will cause that file to be smaller than it is
        > currently ?
        >
        > (2) If not, then is there a way to (a) Write a NoteTab script to check
        > relative file sizes and if all's well save the file; (b) Have the Save
        > icon run that script instead of what it's doing now; and (c) Have the
        > "Automatic save every (n) minutes" use this rachet-style saver script ?
        >
        > (3) Or does anyone know of a third-party utility or tool that I could
        > configure to prevent a .BAK file from being over-written by a smaller
        > version of that file ?
        (3) "third-party utility" - not exactly 3rd party :-) .
        Notetab-Options-Files-Backup Type = Incremental will mean that all
        backups are saved until you manually clear them!
      • Don
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2011
          I suppose you could write a clip to save it under a different name,
          compare and then go forward if it checks out.

          > (2) If not, then is there a way to (a) Write a NoteTab script to check relative file sizes and if all's well save the file; (b) Have the Save icon run that script instead of what it's doing now; and (c) Have the "Automatic save every (n) minutes" use this rachet-style saver script ?
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2011
            Answers in context

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "RoyB" <rrbeatty@...> wrote:

            > (NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv on Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit)
            >
            > Therefore, I ask:
            >
            > (1) Is there an NoteTab option that can force a warning if saving an Outline (or other file) will cause that file to be smaller than it is currently ?

            No. But Alec has already provided the alternative backup method, but see below.

            > (2) If not, then is there a way to (a) Write a NoteTab script to check relative file sizes and if all's well save the file; (b) Have the Save icon run that script instead of what it's doing now; and (c) Have the "Automatic save every (n) minutes" use this rachet-style saver script ?

            Yes. This is best used in concert with the "incremental" backup technique.

            You want to load all backup files into an array, sorting by date (see ^$GetFiles in Help), loop the files to get their size ^$GetFilesize()$, and delete files as long as their size is smaller than the next.

            > (3) Or does anyone know of a third-party utility or tool that I could configure to prevent a .BAK file from being over-written by a smaller version of that file ?

            The thrid-party utility to check out is Revision Control software.

            Wikipedia has a nice comparison chart:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

            Several freeware versions. If you have Visual Studio, it comes with it's own, which you could use for NoteTab files.

            Any good revision control keeps copies of all changes you make, and can restore to any eralier version. You can also "fix" the original version periodically, to discard much earlier versions. This is better than NoteTab's incremental backup, but a bit more tedious to use, as you must check files in and out, to use the revision control.

            Cheers,

            Eb