Re: [NTB] Rudimentary spelling checker

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
      At 07/21/2011 03:13, Bruce wrote:
      > > Art Kocsis wrote:
      > > On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:
      <snip>
      >I realize that, Art. For a computer buff with time on his hands, it might
      >be a rewarding pastime.
      Perhaps. I don't know. I can't remember having had any need to edit the
      default.udt in the 10 to 20 years I have ben using NTB. I just tried it to
      test the validity of your statement.

      >The other dictionaries are not in editable form and are not readily
      >manipulated.
      True

      >Maintenance of dictionaries would seem to me to be a legitimate function
      >of the spelling checker software, no?
      Probably but spelling does not seem to be a high priority for Eric. NTB
      uses v2.02 (dated 06-06-2000), of Addictive Software's spell checker. The
      v3.52 dictionary files (dated 05-11-2011), are freely available but require
      the v4 engine. I suspect that the v2 add-in was originally freeware (the
      author apparently was a student), but it now requires a fee so I doubt we
      will see any updates to this function. Personally, I am not a heavy user of
      NTB spell check. It is convenient but incomplete. If I really need to check
      a word Google or my email app is available.

      Eric seems to use a lot of 3rd party add-ins - some legitimate (such as
      RegEx), and some not so legitimate (such as the print engine with multiple
      and conflicting menus). I suspect they are all freeware.

      BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
      tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
      1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
      app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
      freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
      check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

      Namaste', Art
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
        -- On Thu, 7/21/11, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
        > tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
        > 1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
        > app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
        > freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
        > check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

        Happy freeware (v. 1.8) user, well worth trying

        fw
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2011
          FW,

          Thanks for the confirmation.

          Thanks to your quote, I also noticed I had a typo:

          The last update was May 2011, not 2001.

          Art

          At 07/21/2011 16:18, you wrote:
          >-- On Thu, 7/21/11, Art Kocsis
          ><<mailto:artkns%40sbcglobal.net>artkns@...> wrote:
          >[snip]
          > > BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
          > > tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
          > > 1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
          > > app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
          > > freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
          > > check it out: <http://tinyspell.numerit.com/>http://tinyspell.numerit.com/
          >
          >Happy freeware (v. 1.8) user, well worth trying
          >fw
        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

            > I am quite discouraged to find that the ADDICT 2.0 dictionaries
            > used by NoteTab are not user-editable.

            I agree with Bruce. If the NT spell checker would use the latest ADDICT 4 technology we probably had a useful tool for editing DCT files: the "Dictionary Wizard" (see (http://www.addictivesoftware.com/dictwiz.htm).

            I got this information from Addictive Software:

            "We stopped work on Addict 2 almost 12 years ago - so this is something you really need to address with the Notetab Author.

            Dictionary Wizard does not work with Addict 2 Dictionaries - it is designed for Applications that use Addict 4.

            No there is nothing similar for Addict 2 :(

            Last updates to Addict 2 Dictionaries at:

            http://www.addictive-software.com/addict2/dicts.html

            I hope Eric Fookes will read this ;-)

            Regards,
            Flo
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
              Hi Flo,

              Eric may read it but I doubt it will make any difference. As I wrote a month or
              two ago in this thread, v2 was freeware, v4 is $$ware. Cost increases to an app
              that is already a back burner product at Fookes software is not gonna happen.

              It took 3 years to go from v4,5 to v4.9, another year to release v4.95, and
              three
              more years to release v5.0. The pace has since picked up slightly as it only
              took another 3 years to get to v6.0 plus one more to v6.2 in Jan 2010.
              However,
              the changes from v4 to v5 were more significant than from v5 to v6. I suspect
              that the only changes we will see are maintenance releases to keep up with
              new Windows releases from Microsoft.

              Namaste', Art