Re: [NTB] Rudimentary spelling checker

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 21 3:13 AM
      > Art Kocsis wrote:
      > On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:

      > Select the first 10 lines and change "IGN_" to "IGN_0"
      > Select the first 100 lines and repeat.
      > Use the block mode to cut the first 8 cols from the entire file
      > and save them in a temp doc.
      > Edit & sort the remaining to your hearts content
      > Copy and reinsert the saved text.

      I realize that, Art. For a computer buff with time on his hands, it might be a rewarding pastime.

      The other dictionaries are not in editable form and are not readily manipulated.

      Maintenance of dictionaries would seem to me to be a legitimate function of the spelling checker software, no?

      Bruce
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 21 2:09 PM
        At 07/21/2011 03:13, Bruce wrote:
        > > Art Kocsis wrote:
        > > On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:
        <snip>
        >I realize that, Art. For a computer buff with time on his hands, it might
        >be a rewarding pastime.
        Perhaps. I don't know. I can't remember having had any need to edit the
        default.udt in the 10 to 20 years I have ben using NTB. I just tried it to
        test the validity of your statement.

        >The other dictionaries are not in editable form and are not readily
        >manipulated.
        True

        >Maintenance of dictionaries would seem to me to be a legitimate function
        >of the spelling checker software, no?
        Probably but spelling does not seem to be a high priority for Eric. NTB
        uses v2.02 (dated 06-06-2000), of Addictive Software's spell checker. The
        v3.52 dictionary files (dated 05-11-2011), are freely available but require
        the v4 engine. I suspect that the v2 add-in was originally freeware (the
        author apparently was a student), but it now requires a fee so I doubt we
        will see any updates to this function. Personally, I am not a heavy user of
        NTB spell check. It is convenient but incomplete. If I really need to check
        a word Google or my email app is available.

        Eric seems to use a lot of 3rd party add-ins - some legitimate (such as
        RegEx), and some not so legitimate (such as the print engine with multiple
        and conflicting menus). I suspect they are all freeware.

        BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
        tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
        1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
        app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
        freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
        check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

        Namaste', Art
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 21 4:18 PM
          -- On Thu, 7/21/11, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

          [snip]

          > BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
          > tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
          > 1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
          > app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
          > freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
          > check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

          Happy freeware (v. 1.8) user, well worth trying

          fw
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 22 5:11 AM
            FW,

            Thanks for the confirmation.

            Thanks to your quote, I also noticed I had a typo:

            The last update was May 2011, not 2001.

            Art

            At 07/21/2011 16:18, you wrote:
            >-- On Thu, 7/21/11, Art Kocsis
            ><<mailto:artkns%40sbcglobal.net>artkns@...> wrote:
            >[snip]
            > > BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
            > > tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
            > > 1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
            > > app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
            > > freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
            > > check it out: <http://tinyspell.numerit.com/>http://tinyspell.numerit.com/
            >
            >Happy freeware (v. 1.8) user, well worth trying
            >fw
          • flo.gehrke
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

              > I am quite discouraged to find that the ADDICT 2.0 dictionaries
              > used by NoteTab are not user-editable.

              I agree with Bruce. If the NT spell checker would use the latest ADDICT 4 technology we probably had a useful tool for editing DCT files: the "Dictionary Wizard" (see (http://www.addictivesoftware.com/dictwiz.htm).

              I got this information from Addictive Software:

              "We stopped work on Addict 2 almost 12 years ago - so this is something you really need to address with the Notetab Author.

              Dictionary Wizard does not work with Addict 2 Dictionaries - it is designed for Applications that use Addict 4.

              No there is nothing similar for Addict 2 :(

              Last updates to Addict 2 Dictionaries at:

              http://www.addictive-software.com/addict2/dicts.html

              I hope Eric Fookes will read this ;-)

              Regards,
              Flo
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
                Hi Flo,

                Eric may read it but I doubt it will make any difference. As I wrote a month or
                two ago in this thread, v2 was freeware, v4 is $$ware. Cost increases to an app
                that is already a back burner product at Fookes software is not gonna happen.

                It took 3 years to go from v4,5 to v4.9, another year to release v4.95, and
                three
                more years to release v5.0. The pace has since picked up slightly as it only
                took another 3 years to get to v6.0 plus one more to v6.2 in Jan 2010.
                However,
                the changes from v4 to v5 were more significant than from v5 to v6. I suspect
                that the only changes we will see are maintenance releases to keep up with
                new Windows releases from Microsoft.

                Namaste', Art