Re: [NTB] Rudimentary spelling checker

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 19, 2011
      On 7/19/2011 5:49 PM, bruce.somers@... wrote:
      > I am quite discouraged to find that the ADDICT 2.0 dictionaries used by NoteTab are not user-editable. That is a typical beginner's error. What to do when NoteTab accepts a term or a spelling which I don't like? There is no documentation included with the dictionaries, either. It's a shame that it is so rudimentary.
      >
      > The user dictionary, default.udt , is editable in principle, but editing is extremely laborious, because of the numbering of the entries. I haven't tried yet, for example, to see if one can simply remove an unwanted entry without extremely laborious manual renumbering.
      >
      > Another beginner's error is the numbering 0, 1, 2, ... 19, 11, 12, ... 100, 101, 102, ... of the entries, which assures that they cannot be sorted intelligently.
      >
      > ADDICT 2.0 is also an old version.
      >
      > All in all, it's not very impressive. Can I be alone with that opinion?
      >
      > Bruce

      Bruce,

      You may not be alone but, there is another side.
      The user dictionary 'Default.udt' is very editable with the use of
      editing clips that have been around for a very long time.

      I just upgraded, rewrote, the editing clips and they work very well.
      If you're interested I can send you what I have.

      ¤• JD#...200 - ¤• SL...1595 - 11.07.19~07.10.07

      • You Might Be A Jewish Redneck If...
      • You Think Marrying Your First Cousin
      • Is Required According To Jewish Law.

      € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

        > The user dictionary, default.udt , is editable in principle,
        > but editing is extremely laborious, because of the numbering of
        > the entries. I haven't tried yet, for example, to see if one
        > can simply remove an unwanted entry without extremely laborious
        > manual renumbering.

        If you've got entries like...

        IGN_199=Borrelia
        IGN_200=Borrelien
        IGN_201=Borreliose

        you can remove 'Borrelien', for example, and leave 'IGN_200=' empty. The spell checker doesn't mind that, and the next time you add a new entry NT will renumber all entries automatically.

        Regards,
        Flo
      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
          Thanks Flo, for sparing a lazy man a couple of tests.

          IGN_199=Borrelia
          IGN_200=Borrelien
          IGN_201=Borreliose
          you can remove 'Borrelien', for example, and leave 'IGN_200=' empty. The spell checker doesn't mind that, and the next time you add a new entry NT will renumber all entries automatically.

          Good to hear! I've inadvertantly added a few silly entries such as Bradsoft's or ComCtl32, which I'll remove.

          Is it NT or Addict that renumbers the entries?

          Bruce
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 20, 2011
            Bruce,

            On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:

            Select the first 10 lines and change "IGN_" to "IGN_0"
            Select the first 100 lines and repeat.
            Use the block mode to cut the first 8 cols from the entire file
            and save them in a temp doc.
            Edit & sort the remaining to your hearts content
            Copy and reinsert the saved text.

            No need for anything but basic NTB editing.

            BTW, NTB is perfectly happy with leading 0s in default.udt.
            Perhaps you should have checked first.

            Namaste', Art

          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
              > Art Kocsis wrote:
              > On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:

              > Select the first 10 lines and change "IGN_" to "IGN_0"
              > Select the first 100 lines and repeat.
              > Use the block mode to cut the first 8 cols from the entire file
              > and save them in a temp doc.
              > Edit & sort the remaining to your hearts content
              > Copy and reinsert the saved text.

              I realize that, Art. For a computer buff with time on his hands, it might be a rewarding pastime.

              The other dictionaries are not in editable form and are not readily manipulated.

              Maintenance of dictionaries would seem to me to be a legitimate function of the spelling checker software, no?

              Bruce
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
                At 07/21/2011 03:13, Bruce wrote:
                > > Art Kocsis wrote:
                > > On the contrary, editing the default.udt is quite trivial:
                <snip>
                >I realize that, Art. For a computer buff with time on his hands, it might
                >be a rewarding pastime.
                Perhaps. I don't know. I can't remember having had any need to edit the
                default.udt in the 10 to 20 years I have ben using NTB. I just tried it to
                test the validity of your statement.

                >The other dictionaries are not in editable form and are not readily
                >manipulated.
                True

                >Maintenance of dictionaries would seem to me to be a legitimate function
                >of the spelling checker software, no?
                Probably but spelling does not seem to be a high priority for Eric. NTB
                uses v2.02 (dated 06-06-2000), of Addictive Software's spell checker. The
                v3.52 dictionary files (dated 05-11-2011), are freely available but require
                the v4 engine. I suspect that the v2 add-in was originally freeware (the
                author apparently was a student), but it now requires a fee so I doubt we
                will see any updates to this function. Personally, I am not a heavy user of
                NTB spell check. It is convenient but incomplete. If I really need to check
                a word Google or my email app is available.

                Eric seems to use a lot of 3rd party add-ins - some legitimate (such as
                RegEx), and some not so legitimate (such as the print engine with multiple
                and conflicting menus). I suspect they are all freeware.

                BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
                tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
                1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
                app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
                freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
                check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

                Namaste', Art
              • fw7oaks
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 21, 2011
                  -- On Thu, 7/21/11, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

                  [snip]

                  > BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
                  > tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
                  > 1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
                  > app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
                  > freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
                  > check it out: http://tinyspell.numerit.com/

                  Happy freeware (v. 1.8) user, well worth trying

                  fw
                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 22, 2011
                    FW,

                    Thanks for the confirmation.

                    Thanks to your quote, I also noticed I had a typo:

                    The last update was May 2011, not 2001.

                    Art

                    At 07/21/2011 16:18, you wrote:
                    >-- On Thu, 7/21/11, Art Kocsis
                    ><<mailto:artkns%40sbcglobal.net>artkns@...> wrote:
                    >[snip]
                    > > BTW In looking up info on the NTB spell check, I found an interesting
                    > > tidbit, Tiny Spell, that I downloaded 6 years ago. The current version,
                    > > 1.94, was just updated 05-11-2001. According to its description, it is an
                    > > app that will monitor your typing in any windows application. There are
                    > > freeware and paid ($10) versions. I haven't tried it but you may want to
                    > > check it out: <http://tinyspell.numerit.com/>http://tinyspell.numerit.com/
                    >
                    >Happy freeware (v. 1.8) user, well worth trying
                    >fw
                  • flo.gehrke
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4 2:14 AM
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                      > I am quite discouraged to find that the ADDICT 2.0 dictionaries
                      > used by NoteTab are not user-editable.

                      I agree with Bruce. If the NT spell checker would use the latest ADDICT 4 technology we probably had a useful tool for editing DCT files: the "Dictionary Wizard" (see (http://www.addictivesoftware.com/dictwiz.htm).

                      I got this information from Addictive Software:

                      "We stopped work on Addict 2 almost 12 years ago - so this is something you really need to address with the Notetab Author.

                      Dictionary Wizard does not work with Addict 2 Dictionaries - it is designed for Applications that use Addict 4.

                      No there is nothing similar for Addict 2 :(

                      Last updates to Addict 2 Dictionaries at:

                      http://www.addictive-software.com/addict2/dicts.html

                      I hope Eric Fookes will read this ;-)

                      Regards,
                      Flo
                    • Art Kocsis
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 4 7:06 PM
                        Hi Flo,

                        Eric may read it but I doubt it will make any difference. As I wrote a month or
                        two ago in this thread, v2 was freeware, v4 is $$ware. Cost increases to an app
                        that is already a back burner product at Fookes software is not gonna happen.

                        It took 3 years to go from v4,5 to v4.9, another year to release v4.95, and
                        three
                        more years to release v5.0. The pace has since picked up slightly as it only
                        took another 3 years to get to v6.0 plus one more to v6.2 in Jan 2010.
                        However,
                        the changes from v4 to v5 were more significant than from v5 to v6. I suspect
                        that the only changes we will see are maintenance releases to keep up with
                        new Windows releases from Microsoft.

                        Namaste', Art