Re: [NTB] URL problem

  • Mike Leon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
      Many thanks for your help. It was indeed a problem with Gmail!

      Either I never noticed it before, or this is a new feature, but Gmail
      offers a 'plain text' format and a 'rich format' for composing
      messages.

      If I paste my entry when 'plain text format' is active, the problem disappears.

      Cheers,
      Mike L
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 14, 2011
        I suspect that your problem is due to the unseen characters in your text
        and would bet that the original text was copied from another doc or web page.
        Try typing (NOT cut & paste), the four lines into a new doc and observing
        the behavior.

        If the problem persists, then the issue is with gmail.

        If the problem disappears, then the problem is probably the line terminators.

        There are three possibilities for end-of-line: DOS, Unix & Mac.
        Make sure your NTB is set to use the DOS CRLF.
        [View|Options|Documents|Save as "DOS/Windows"]

        A cut and paste source document has unknown line terminators. Web pages
        frequently use the single LF (Unix) or CF (Mac) character for line termination.
        NTB correctly displays all three but can mess you up as it retains the
        original.

        To easily convert your document, open your "Find and Replace" dialog and
        enter "\R" (without the quotes) in the "Find" and "\r\n" in the "Replace",
        ensure
        that "Regular Exp" is checked, double click in the grey area to insure that
        the
        cursor is at the top of the document and then click "Replace All". Note that
        case is important in RegEX: \r is NOT the same as \R.

        If this is a frequent task, you can put this into a clip and add it to your
        clipbar
        for a one click solution.

        ^!Jump Doc_Start
        ^!Replace "\R" >> "\r\n" AIRSW

        If all this does not work, another possibility for the source of your
        problem is that
        the original text was in Unicode. IIRW, copy your entire document,
        Edit|Copy All,
        into a new tab, save both and then compare sizes. If the copied text is smaller
        then your original contains Unicode.

        HTH

        Namaste', Art