Re: hard line breaks

  • Eb
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2011
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jane Peppler <jane@...> wrote:

      > However, if you get the notetab window to just the right size (so
      > wordwrap breaks the lines where you want them) you can then use the
      > "break line" function to put hard returns at the end of each of those
      > shortened lines. Jane

      True enough, but that was not how I read the question about hard line breaks.

      If you copy a document into another application, like Word, you want only those hard linbreaks that you started with. These demark paragraphs.

      If you add hard breaks at the end of every display line, you wind up with documents, that will format differently in Word (etc) because there you likely will have proportional text, which spaces differently from NoteTab Pro or Light documents.

      However, if you do not UNJOIN the paragraphs in NoteTab, Word will find it's own line length automatically, adding SOFT line breaks as needed.

      Now, more about the line width in JOINED paragraph lines:

      You can define how wide you want your paragraphs to display in NoteTabs options (View Menu-->Options-->Documents tab:

      Select WordWrap, select Wrap to column, and define the line length.
      Note, that while NoteTab (pro & lite) uses mono-space text, the line lingth is defined ONLY for the display. Paragraphs continue to end at HARD linebreaks. SO when you copy such a document into Word, it will use hard linebreaks the same way NoteTab does. But line length will be whatever Word can fit into the defined line width.

      Cheers,

      Eb