New to WIn7: Can't Edit Libraries...

  • steveadams8888
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25 4:49 AM
      Hi Everybody,

      I have been using NoteTab for years, currently using NoteTabPro 6.2 f/v.

      When I go to edit a Library CLB file, Win7 tells me that access is denied. My IT guy says I have no restrictions on my use of the computer (I am Owner/Creator and it says I have admin priveleges).

      Since I never had this problem on XP I'm thinking it's a Win7 thing.

      Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem of not being able to edit my Libraries?

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 25 8:40 AM
        Interviewed by CNN on 25/04/2011 08:49, steveadams8888 told the world:
        > Hi Everybody,
        >
        > I have been using NoteTab for years, currently using NoteTabPro 6.2 f/v.
        >
        > When I go to edit a Library CLB file, Win7 tells me that access is denied. My IT guy says I have no restrictions on my use of the computer (I am Owner/Creator and it says I have admin priveleges).
        >
        > Since I never had this problem on XP I'm thinking it's a Win7 thing.
        >
        > Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem of not being able to edit my Libraries?

        In Vista/Win7, even if the user has admin privileges, you have to
        explicitly "run as administrator" a program in order to the program to
        be able to use those administrative privileges. Otherwise it runs in a
        "regular user" level. You can do it by right-clicking on the icon and
        selecting "run as administrator." If you regularly needs this elevated
        privileges, you can set the shortcut to always request elevated
        privileges -- right-click on the icon, select "properties," go to
        "Compatibility" and enable the relevant option.

        This is probably happening because you are trying to edit one of the clb
        templates that came with Notetab, which are stored in the C:\Program
        Files\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries (or something similar; I believe I changed
        somewhat the installation path of my copy).

        However, there's a better option. Move the library file to the
        C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Libraries folder;
        this is in your personal profile, instead of in the application folder,
        and it's fully user-editable. It won't be available to other users in
        the same machine, though.

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my NeXT Cube.
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25 9:38 AM
          Vista and Windows 7 prevent users and programs from editing in the Program Files folder. There are ways around it using
          various permissions, but they can be unstable, since various Microsoft updates can break such permissions. Vista and 7
          also have a 'shadow copy' feature that, unless UAC is defeated, store your changes in another place - not in Program
          Files, so you get tricked, thinking you edited something in Program Files, but not seeing the changes in Program Files.
          If you search your computer for the edited files, you can find the shadow copies, provided you have your computer set up
          to show those folders and files.

          I install all older programs, including NoteTab in C:\Programs. Problem solved. I also bring the notetab.ini file and
          everything else under the NoteTab folder, instead of having to find those files in C:\Users or anywhere else. I like a
          compact installation, where everything is together.

          Regards,

          John

          <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/> RecipeTools site

          <http://shotsky.gotdns.com/index.htm> Beaverton Weather

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 25 9:56 AM
            Thank you Mr. Bastos!

            Your method worked for me, and I will try moving the Library later.

            I really appreciate your help,

            Steve

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <bytext@...> wrote:

            > Interviewed by CNN on 25/04/2011 08:49, steveadams8888 told the world:
            > > Hi Everybody,
            > >
            > > I have been using NoteTab for years, currently using NoteTabPro 6.2 f/v.
            > >
            > > When I go to edit a Library CLB file, Win7 tells me that access is denied. My IT guy says I have no restrictions on my use of the computer (I am Owner/Creator and it says I have admin priveleges).
            > >
            > > Since I never had this problem on XP I'm thinking it's a Win7 thing.
            > >
            > > Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem of not being able to edit my Libraries?
            >
            > In Vista/Win7, even if the user has admin privileges, you have to
            > explicitly "run as administrator" a program in order to the program to
            > be able to use those administrative privileges. Otherwise it runs in a
            > "regular user" level. You can do it by right-clicking on the icon and
            > selecting "run as administrator." If you regularly needs this elevated
            > privileges, you can set the shortcut to always request elevated
            > privileges -- right-click on the icon, select "properties," go to
            > "Compatibility" and enable the relevant option.
            >
            > This is probably happening because you are trying to edit one of the clb
            > templates that came with Notetab, which are stored in the C:\Program
            > Files\NoteTab Pro 6\Libraries (or something similar; I believe I changed
            > somewhat the installation path of my copy).
            >
            > However, there's a better option. Move the library file to the
            > C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Libraries folder;
            > this is in your personal profile, instead of in the application folder,
            > and it's fully user-editable. It won't be available to other users in
            > the same machine, though.
            >
            > --
            > MCBastos
            >
            > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized
            > use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
            >
            > -=-=-
            > ... Sent from my NeXT Cube.
            > *Added by TagZilla 0.066.2 running on Seamonkey 2.0.13 *
            > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

          • steveadams8888
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25 10:00 AM
              Thanks John,

              Installing to c:\programs is a great idea.

              Thank you,

              Steve

              Install