Crash with multiple tabs open

  • lisanthrope
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2011
      I'm having an issue with NoteTab Light: v 6.2.0.2 crashing when I try to
      have more than one tab open. Even if I have one file open, open another
      file, and then immediately close the first file, it still crashes; I can
      only have one file open at a time. Sometimes it crashes with one file
      open while I have the Favorites dialog box open, too. This is extremely
      annoying, as I have to CONSTANTLY save my work for fear of losing it. I
      have tried setting the Stack Tabs option to off, but that didn't help.

      The computer this occurs on (WXP Home, SP3) hadn't been used for over a
      year, as it was in need of repair. The system I had been using
      temporarily was running WinME, so I had an older version of NoteTab
      Light: installed on it, which did not have this issue.

      I'm wondering if installing an earlier version might prevent this from
      happening, but haven't been able to find any. Is there some kind of
      software archive on the Fookes site? Thank you for your time.

    • Eb
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 20, 2011
        Answered piecemeal below:

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lisanthrope" <lisanthrope@...> wrote:

        > NoteTab Light: v 6.2.0.2 crashing when I try to
        > have more than one tab open.

        A closely guarded secret about NoteTab is, that it can corrupt itself ;-).

        When you get mystery crashes or unusual behavior, that you know to be wrong, the solution often is to reinstall NoteTab. Regardless of version. Crashing is definitely unusual behavior.

        > The computer this occurs on (WXP Home, SP3) hadn't been used for over a year, as it was in need of repair.

        It sounds as if it's STILL in need of repair.

        > ... older version of NoteTab Light: ... did not have this issue.

        Older NoteTabs may have been less resource intensive, but I doubt that Fookes will distribute older versions of NT, especially the freeware ones.

        I would try to fix the existing installation, with the latest version of NoteTab, try downloading a fresh copy of the freeware. If it continues to crash, it's telling you to fix or scrap the computer.

        Blow or suck out the dust, reseat all connectors (mind the static electricity!), run diskcheck, and update all your drivers and OS patches. Standard routine maintenance.

        Cheers,

        Eb