Re: [NTB] notetab does not refresh in the browser

  • lovemypekes444
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 26, 2011
      Yes, of course I save the changes. But when I hit the refresh button in the browser, nothing happens. Now, when I am just browsing around on the internet and land on a website, it will refresh a web page, but not when I open a NoteTabPro page in the browser.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Wallace" <johnta1@...> wrote:

      > I have to save the change first, to be able to refresh the web page.
      >

      > _____

    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 27, 2011
        John,

        No that was my point. Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

        You do NOT have to save a new file to get a filetype - it already has one.
        Unless you have changed your NTB defaults your default filetype is "txt".
        If you don't see a filetype in your tabs perhaps you have the filetype
        display in tabs turned off. [See "View | Options | Tab Bar | Show File
        Extension"]

        When sending a doc to a browser, NTB either sends the current filename and
        filetype (if the latest edit has been saved), or creates a new randomly
        named temp file (if the latest edit has not been saved - this includes a
        brand new doc), using an identical filetype as the original doc. [Remember,
        the default name that NTB creates when we open a new doc is still a very
        valid file name - we humans just tend to think of them being temp names.]

        Create a new doc, do not save it but right click the doc tab and change the
        filetype (only) to "htm". Now have NTB send it to your browser and you will
        find it rendered correctly as an HTML page and the URL will show a temp
        name with an htm filetype.

        Namaste', Art

        At 03/27/2011 14:48, you wrote:
        >Art,
        >Yes, I realized after I sent that that the problem was that I was creating
        >new, unsaved documents, and that they had to be saved in order to get a
        >file type in the first place.
        >So I do understand why my converted documents didn't display before saving.
        >
        >Regards,
        >John
      • Kerry Coates at GilaMountainDulcimers.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 27, 2011
          Thank you, Art! Yes, I always work with tabs and my file names were correct (not a temp file name). You have to excuse me -- I am not up on all the "language" and I think it has been a couple of years since I have even posted to the group -- (...she looks down and shuffles her feet.....) -- so I guess I left out some important information when I screamed "Help" -- I was pretty frustrated. I hope you will all forgive me........

          I think I will just use the "Shift/Refresh" trick instead of messing with my config file. I put it into the URL window and got a warning message and decided I better just do it the long way.....dingy as I am, I wouldn't want to mess anything up.

          Also, I know I really shouldn't include my automatic signature and I appologize once again, but it is so long that when I hit "Reply" it runs over the previous message -- I remembered to take it off one time and ended up deleting most of the previous message. I will try to be more aware in the future......

          Thank you everyone for all your help!!!

          Hugs,
          Kerry Coates in New Mexico, USA

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 27, 2011
            Alan,

            I have automatic updates on so I am assuming I got the update last week -- maybe what my problem is.

            Hugs,
            Kerry Coates in New Mexico, USA

            Did you just update Firefox to the new version 4.0?

            Alan G

          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 27, 2011
              Hi Kerry,

              No problem. We have all been there.

              To see your FF version, click on "Help | About".

              Don't be too concerned about the FF warning re about:config. It is quite
              safe to look at the options and make simple changes. The warning is just a
              CYA from Mozilla similar to a warning on screwdrivers to wear eye
              protection. Besides, that was only meant to unequivocally prove that it was
              a cache phenomenon. You don't normally want to run any browser without
              enabling cache. It would significantly slow you down.

              Don't sell yourself short. I doubt you're "dingy" at all.

              Re your signature: no client email app should overwrite a quoted message
              but I don't use Outlook Express so I can't help you there.

              Feedback request:

              Were you updated? (Is your FF version= 4.0?)

              Did the Shift-click refresh solve the problem?

              Please report back so that others who may have similar problems will know.
              (As well as satisfy our curiosity<g>.)

              Namaste', Art

              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 28, 2011
                Art,

                FF Version 3.6.12

                I worked some in NoteTabPro last night and, no, the Shift/Refresh did not work. So I just did it the way I figured out....."open in browser" and then click on a different link in my menu bar on the page and then click on the link to the page I was working on, then refresh. After that, I would no longer "open in browser" but rather just leave the old tab open. Then when I worked on a different web page I would just click on it from the drop down menu on my page and it would show the new changes I just made.

                The site I am working on is www.GNLD-Neolife.com and it has a drop down menu bar across (near) the top of the page so I have been using that to navigate to the pages instead of the "view in browser" (after initially opening up one page in the browser). If I search for the page using the menu in that way, the refresh button in FF works, so I can go into the drop down menu, find the page I am updating and then just hit refresh when I make a change. I find that the first time I get to the page I am working on, the most recent changes show up when the page opens. The address in the URL window is quite long. Example: file:///F:/Maxtor%20backup/GANDALFE/C/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kerry%20Coates/My%20Documents/Web%20Pages/0-GNLD-neolife/GN%20html%20files/video-list.htm

                I built the site in haste and now I am going back in doing SEO, checking code for errors and optimizing my alt tags, etc. -- sometimes adding new information -- but the site is almost done, just a few more pages to build. I started building it four months ago and the site has about 300 pages I think...........I still have to create a logo banner for the top -- I slapped one together "for now" but am anxious to get it changed. I also want to figure out a different way to do the right column menu list.

              • Brian Mailman
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 28, 2011
                  Art Kocsis wrote:

                  > Re your signature: no client email app should overwrite a quoted message
                  > but I don't use Outlook Express so I can't help you there.

                  I don't either, but from my time as a "counselor" in alt.config, I
                  learned there's a third-party add-on called "QuoteFix."

                  Also, your .signature should be prooperly delimited; a dash-dash-space
                  with the .sig following on the line below so that when someone hits
                  Reply it's automatically removed.

                  That your .signature is longer than many messages you've posted isn't
                  really a technical issue.

                  B/

                  --
                  here's an example of how a .sig should be formed.
                • Kerry Coates at GilaMountainDulcimers.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 28, 2011
                    Thank you, Brian!

                    I have my signature in a .txt file and Outlook Express calls it up from the .txt file. I don't know if that makes any difference -- but maybe it does since I don't have the signature typed into the Outlook Express signature feature? Anyway, I am trying to remember just to delete all but my name and my trademark, "Hugs", thingie. :-)

                    Hugs,
                    Kerry Coates in New Mexico, USA

                    > Re your signature: no client email app should overwrite a quoted message
                    > but I don't use Outlook Express so I can't help you there.

                    I don't either, but from my time as a "counselor" in alt.config, I
                    learned there's a third-party add-on called "QuoteFix."

                    Also, your .signature should be prooperly delimited; a dash-dash-space
                    with the .sig following on the line below so that when someone hits
                    Reply it's automatically removed.

                    That your .signature is longer than many messages you've posted isn't
                    really a technical issue.

                    B/

                    --
                    here's an example of how a .sig should be formed.

                  • S or J
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 17, 2011
                      Hi Folks

                      One other possibility is a memory shortage situation, due to one or
                      more programs not properly releasing memory.

                      Normally my NoteTab Light shows a webpage just fine in the browser and
                      refreshes perfectly to show new content after any NoteTab save.

                      But if I am editing a number of webpages in NoteTab and have also used
                      Adobe photo programs (real memory hogs) extensively, I sometimes get
                      to the point when the browser stubbornly ignores a refresh command
                      after a NoteTab save.

                      My solution is to completely close Adobe's Photoshop or Elements; I
                      then close the browser and reopen it. I also close and reopen NoteTab.
                      Then the browser will almost always show the latest NoteTab webpage
                      correctly. [And if not, a computer restart always restores normality
                      in NoteTab and the browser.]

                      Yes I could experiment with closing only one or two of these programs
                      but it only takes a few seconds to close all three and reopen just the
                      NoteTab/browser combo and usually get right back to work.

                      HTH
                      Steve in Thunder Bay

                      Posted by: "lovemypekes444" kerrykcoates@...
                      Date: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:50 am ((PDT))