Re: [NTB] NoteTab on a Mac

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 8:04 AM
      Interviewed by CNN on 28/02/2011 11:48, Tony Hirtenstein told the world:
      > I have recently acquired a Macbook. Does anybody run NoteTab on a Mac,
      > and if so how?

      I expect that you would have to use one of the following approaches (in
      increasing order of Mac-ness):

      1. Install Windows (probably by means of Boot Camp, so you can choose
      Windows or MacOS on boot).

      2. Use a virtualization solution to run Windows inside MacOS -- like
      Parallels, or VMWare, or VirtualBox. Some of those offer so-called
      "seamless" mode, where you have a Windows application apparently
      floating on a Mac desktop.

      3. Use a compatibility layer utility, like Wine or Crossover, that lets
      an Windows application "talk" to the MacOS environment. This has the
      additional advantage of not requiring you to purchase a Windows license,
      like the two previous ones. NoteTab is known to work on Wine, so it
      should work on Crossover also (Crossover being the commercial version of
      Wine). But it might be a tad more complicated to configure.

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my shoephone.
    • Tony Hirtenstein
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2011
        On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 13:04:09 -0300, "Marcelo Bastos" <bytext@...>
        so much as wrote:

        ; 1. Install Windows (probably by means of Boot Camp, so you can choose
        ; Windows or MacOS on boot).
        ; 2. Use a virtualization solution to run Windows inside MacOS -- like
        ; Parallels, or VMWare, or VirtualBox. Some of those offer so-called
        ; "seamless" mode, where you have a Windows application apparently
        ; floating on a Mac desktop.
        ; 3. Use a compatibility layer utility, like Wine or Crossover, that lets
        ; an Windows application "talk" to the MacOS environment. This has the
        ; additional advantage of not requiring you to purchase a Windows license,...
        ; But it might be a tad more complicated to configure.

        Thank you. I had already downloaded Wine, but the installation
        instructions are beyond me. Even the Readme files are gibberish on the Mac. I
        shall have to investigate Crossover.

        I was rather expecting to be told to use a Mac programme in place of
        NoteTab. But it seems to be unique.

        --

        West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>