Re: [NTB] Re: NoteTab 6.2 Odd Minimize/Restore Behaviour

  • Don
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
      On 2/23/2011 12:14 PM, Eb wrote:
      > The NoteTab versions I tested were the PRO versions.

      I also was on pro -- but yes it all came and went as a unit.

      What version is the poster using?
    • loro
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011

        S or J wrote:
        >>After using NoteTab 4.95 Light happily for many years, I finally
        >>replaced it with 6.2 Light and am experiencing some strange behaviour
        >>on minimizing and restoring the program on the XP SP3 screen.

        I don't see that behavior, neither with Pro nor Light. I'm also on XP.

        Lotta
      • stevetbon1
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 24, 2011
          Hi Lotta, Eb, Don

          Thank you all for taking the time to experiment.

          My installation of 6.2 Light on XP SP3 was a clean one after uninstalling 4.95.

          I guess the upshot of my experiments is that the Search and Replace box when open will never minimize. Somehow that interferes with how the NoteTab program behaves for restoration.

          Open Find or Count boxes behave exactly the same, will never minimize with the program, and prevent left click on the open app box from restoring NoteTab.

          Curious behavior as every other program here works normally. Must be a quirk in my machine that 6.2 has found.

          Considering that every machine out there has thousands (actually millions/billions) of possible variations on what is installed and which updates and antivirus programs etc. are involved, it is amazing that any program works at all.

          I still love NoteTab as a powerful, yet simple to use, program.

          regards
          Steve in Thunder Bay, ON

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

          > At 18:24 2011-02-23, Don wrote:
          > >What version is the poster using?
          >
          > S or J wrote:
          > >>After using NoteTab 4.95 Light happily for many years, I finally
          > >>replaced it with 6.2 Light and am experiencing some strange behaviour
          > >>on minimizing and restoring the program on the XP SP3 screen.
          >
          > I don't see that behavior, neither with Pro nor Light. I'm also on XP.
          >
          > Lotta

        • Gerard Huijing
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
            On 2/24/2011 3:02 PM, stevetbon1 wrote:

            > Hi Lotta, Eb, Don
            >
            > Thank you all for taking the time to experiment.
            >
            > My installation of 6.2 Light on XP SP3 was a clean one after
            > uninstalling 4.95.
            >
            > I guess the upshot of my experiments is that the Search and Replace box
            > when open will never minimize. Somehow that interferes with how the
            > NoteTab program behaves for restoration.
            >
            > Open Find or Count boxes behave exactly the same, will never minimize
            > with the program, and prevent left click on the open app box from
            > restoring NoteTab.
            >
            > Curious behavior as every other program here works normally. Must be a
            > quirk in my machine that 6.2 has found.
            >
            > Considering that every machine out there has thousands (actually
            > millions/billions) of possible variations on what is installed and which
            > updates and antivirus programs etc. are involved, it is amazing that any
            > program works at all.
            >
            > I still love NoteTab as a powerful, yet simple to use, program.
            >
            > regards
            > Steve in Thunder Bay, ON

            For what it is worth, with my NTBPro 6.2 / WinXPPro SP3, Notetab will
            minimize and correctly restore by single left click on system tray icon
            with the Search and Replace box open.

            It only does that if I minimize by clicking the minus sign (left)in the
            main Notetab window, but *not* if I minimize by clicking the 'X' on the
            right.
            This is with in View --> Options the boxes 'Icon in System Tray' and
            'Close to System Tray' ticked, i.e., on.

            Come to to think of it, I obviously had to have 'Close to System Tray'
            on, or I could not have found the difference :-)

            Cheers,
            Gerard

            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
              Hi Gerard

              Thank you for your experiments and advice.

              I believe you have found the settings that will minimize my NoteTab program as well as the open S&R box. NoteTab 6.2 just behaves differently from what I am used to.

              The following is the result of my experiments with your settings. If this is how the program was really designed to work, it certainly does work but is counter-intuitive to my simple-minded thought processes.

              In Options if I have only Icon in System Tray ticked, clicking that System Tray icon makes NoteTab full on screen and that icon disappears; now NoteTab has a box in the open app area (which is where every other open app goes -- and stays while it is open). Clicking on this NoteTab box in the open app area minimizes NoteTab and the S&R box; the open app box disappears and the NoteTab System Tray icon appears. In either state NoteTab shows as still running in the Task Manager. Closing the program with the X closes both NoteTab and the S&R box. NoteTab disappears from the Task Manager (as it should). This behavior is a bit different (compared to my other programs) but workable.

              If under Options I also select Close to System Tray, minimizing and restoring works as in the last paragraph but not closing the program, where things get a bit unusual (in my mind at least). Clicking the X close program box LEAVES THE S&R BOX OPEN and minimizes the program and the icon appears in the System Tray. Clicking the icon in the System Tray restores the program. Using the - minimize or clicking on the open app box now minimizes both program and S&R box and makes the icon reappear in the System Tray. The program is still running in Task Manager until it is closed with the menu item attached to the System Tray icon.

              Honestly I now have enough info to work comfortably with 6.2; it will just take a bit of mental adjustment and exercise a few extra gray cells ;-)

              Thank you all for your help.

              Regards
              Steve in Thunder Bay, ON