Re: [NTB] NoteTab 6.2 Odd Minimize/Restore Behaviour

  • Don
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 22, 2011
      I use XP SP3 and don't have the same issue if I understand it correctly.
      I can minimize and undo with no issues using click and un-click on the
      minus and the box in the bottom open app bar. I can use alt tab and go
      back and forth.
    • stevetbon1
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
        Hi Don

        What you describe also works fine for me, until I also have a Search and Replace box open in NoteTab 6.2.

        Then the S&R box stays on the main screen, but now hidden behind other open programs, when the NoteTab program screen is minimized; clicking on the NoteTab box on the open app bar will not restore the program while the S&R box is still open. All that happens is the S&R box moves to the front of the screen on top of other open programs.

        The S&R box acts like it is disconnected from the main program while the latter is minimized. Alt-Tab in this situation rotates the S&R box and other open programs to screen front but the main NoteTab screen remains minimized.

        The minimized program will restore while the S&R box is stuck on screen only if I right-click the box on the open app bar and select the Restore command.

        NoteTab 4.95 minimized and restored normally whether or not a S&R box was active, so I think this is a 6.2 issue.

        Steve

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

        > I use XP SP3 and don't have the same issue if I understand it correctly.
        > I can minimize and undo with no issues using click and un-click on the
        > minus and the box in the bottom open app bar. I can use alt tab and go
        > back and forth.

      • stevetbon1
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
          Hi Don again

          I have been experimenting some more. Everything I said before still applies with one intermittent exception.

          With the S&R box open and NoteTab minimized, most times Alt-Tab switches between the S&R box (only) and the other programs.

          If I Restore NoteTab with right-click on the NoteTab box on the open app bar and select Restore, then minimize and restore a few times using this method, sometimes the Alt-Tab combo will restore a minimized NoteTab when the S&R box is open.

          If this is a 6.2 bug, it is intermittent. Same if it is a unique issue between 6.2 and my particular machine. Either way, I'll learn to live with it or go back to 4.95.

          Thanks for listening.

          regards
          Steve in Thunder Bay, ON

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "stevetbon1" <jstudio@...> wrote:

          > Hi Don
          >
          > What you describe also works fine for me, until I also have a Search and Replace box open in NoteTab 6.2.
          >
          > Then the S&R box stays on the main screen, but now hidden behind other open programs, when the NoteTab program screen is minimized; clicking on the NoteTab box on the open app bar will not restore the program while the S&R box is still open. All that happens is the S&R box moves to the front of the screen on top of other open programs.
          >
          > The S&R box acts like it is disconnected from the main program while the latter is minimized. Alt-Tab in this situation rotates the S&R box and other open programs to screen front but the main NoteTab screen remains minimized.
          >
          > The minimized program will restore while the S&R box is stuck on screen only if I right-click the box on the open app bar and select the Restore command.
          >
          > NoteTab 4.95 minimized and restored normally whether or not a S&R box was active, so I think this is a 6.2 issue.
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I use XP SP3 and don't have the same issue if I understand it correctly.
          > > I can minimize and undo with no issues using click and un-click on the
          > > minus and the box in the bottom open app bar. I can use alt tab and go
          > > back and forth.

        • Eb
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
            Steve,

            For what it's worth, I achieved different results on _my_ system as you did on yours. However, did ot have a normal Windows XP available at the time, and tested on a virtual Windos XP running inside a virtual PC within Windows 7.

            Testing on Window XP Mode (withing Windows 7), Both NTP 4.95 and NTP 6.2 perform as one would expect! I.e. the pop-up minimizes with NoteTab, and restores when NT is maximized.

            Two things worth noting:
            The XP Mode may share some W7 libraries, that a plain Windows XP does not have.
            The NoteTab versions I tested were the PRO versions.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "S or J" <jstudio@...> wrote:

            > My normal work situation is to have NoteTab always operating, as well
            > as a Search and Replace box which I need to use very frequently.

            > With 6.2, minimizing NoteTab has the program leaving the screen but
            > the S&R box stays on the screen -- but now behind any other open
            > programs. Left clicking on the NoteTab tab in the XP tray WILL NOT
            > restore the program to the screen. Only right clicking the tab and
            > selecting the Restore item does so. And the S&R box then appears in
            > front of the NoteTab screen as it should.
            >
            > If I do close the S&R box (before or after NoteTab is minimized) left
            > clicking on the NoteTab tab in the XP tray WILL restore the program to
            > the screen.
            >
            > I know this is not a major problem as I can work around it. But this
            > unusual minimize-restore behaviour is rather annoying and quite unlike
            > any other programs I have used.
            >
            > Suggestions would be appreciated, or perhaps this is a bug.
          • Don
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011
              On 2/23/2011 12:14 PM, Eb wrote:
              > The NoteTab versions I tested were the PRO versions.

              I also was on pro -- but yes it all came and went as a unit.

              What version is the poster using?
            • loro
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 23, 2011

                S or J wrote:
                >>After using NoteTab 4.95 Light happily for many years, I finally
                >>replaced it with 6.2 Light and am experiencing some strange behaviour
                >>on minimizing and restoring the program on the XP SP3 screen.

                I don't see that behavior, neither with Pro nor Light. I'm also on XP.

                Lotta
              • stevetbon1
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 24, 2011
                  Hi Lotta, Eb, Don

                  Thank you all for taking the time to experiment.

                  My installation of 6.2 Light on XP SP3 was a clean one after uninstalling 4.95.

                  I guess the upshot of my experiments is that the Search and Replace box when open will never minimize. Somehow that interferes with how the NoteTab program behaves for restoration.

                  Open Find or Count boxes behave exactly the same, will never minimize with the program, and prevent left click on the open app box from restoring NoteTab.

                  Curious behavior as every other program here works normally. Must be a quirk in my machine that 6.2 has found.

                  Considering that every machine out there has thousands (actually millions/billions) of possible variations on what is installed and which updates and antivirus programs etc. are involved, it is amazing that any program works at all.

                  I still love NoteTab as a powerful, yet simple to use, program.

                  regards
                  Steve in Thunder Bay, ON

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                  > At 18:24 2011-02-23, Don wrote:
                  > >What version is the poster using?
                  >
                  > S or J wrote:
                  > >>After using NoteTab 4.95 Light happily for many years, I finally
                  > >>replaced it with 6.2 Light and am experiencing some strange behaviour
                  > >>on minimizing and restoring the program on the XP SP3 screen.
                  >
                  > I don't see that behavior, neither with Pro nor Light. I'm also on XP.
                  >
                  > Lotta

                • Gerard Huijing
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
                    On 2/24/2011 3:02 PM, stevetbon1 wrote:

                    > Hi Lotta, Eb, Don
                    >
                    > Thank you all for taking the time to experiment.
                    >
                    > My installation of 6.2 Light on XP SP3 was a clean one after
                    > uninstalling 4.95.
                    >
                    > I guess the upshot of my experiments is that the Search and Replace box
                    > when open will never minimize. Somehow that interferes with how the
                    > NoteTab program behaves for restoration.
                    >
                    > Open Find or Count boxes behave exactly the same, will never minimize
                    > with the program, and prevent left click on the open app box from
                    > restoring NoteTab.
                    >
                    > Curious behavior as every other program here works normally. Must be a
                    > quirk in my machine that 6.2 has found.
                    >
                    > Considering that every machine out there has thousands (actually
                    > millions/billions) of possible variations on what is installed and which
                    > updates and antivirus programs etc. are involved, it is amazing that any
                    > program works at all.
                    >
                    > I still love NoteTab as a powerful, yet simple to use, program.
                    >
                    > regards
                    > Steve in Thunder Bay, ON

                    For what it is worth, with my NTBPro 6.2 / WinXPPro SP3, Notetab will
                    minimize and correctly restore by single left click on system tray icon
                    with the Search and Replace box open.

                    It only does that if I minimize by clicking the minus sign (left)in the
                    main Notetab window, but *not* if I minimize by clicking the 'X' on the
                    right.
                    This is with in View --> Options the boxes 'Icon in System Tray' and
                    'Close to System Tray' ticked, i.e., on.

                    Come to to think of it, I obviously had to have 'Close to System Tray'
                    on, or I could not have found the difference :-)

                    Cheers,
                    Gerard

                    --
                    Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                    2312 ZD Leiden
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 25, 2011
                      Hi Gerard

                      Thank you for your experiments and advice.

                      I believe you have found the settings that will minimize my NoteTab program as well as the open S&R box. NoteTab 6.2 just behaves differently from what I am used to.

                      The following is the result of my experiments with your settings. If this is how the program was really designed to work, it certainly does work but is counter-intuitive to my simple-minded thought processes.

                      In Options if I have only Icon in System Tray ticked, clicking that System Tray icon makes NoteTab full on screen and that icon disappears; now NoteTab has a box in the open app area (which is where every other open app goes -- and stays while it is open). Clicking on this NoteTab box in the open app area minimizes NoteTab and the S&R box; the open app box disappears and the NoteTab System Tray icon appears. In either state NoteTab shows as still running in the Task Manager. Closing the program with the X closes both NoteTab and the S&R box. NoteTab disappears from the Task Manager (as it should). This behavior is a bit different (compared to my other programs) but workable.

                      If under Options I also select Close to System Tray, minimizing and restoring works as in the last paragraph but not closing the program, where things get a bit unusual (in my mind at least). Clicking the X close program box LEAVES THE S&R BOX OPEN and minimizes the program and the icon appears in the System Tray. Clicking the icon in the System Tray restores the program. Using the - minimize or clicking on the open app box now minimizes both program and S&R box and makes the icon reappear in the System Tray. The program is still running in Task Manager until it is closed with the menu item attached to the System Tray icon.

                      Honestly I now have enough info to work comfortably with 6.2; it will just take a bit of mental adjustment and exercise a few extra gray cells ;-)

                      Thank you all for your help.

                      Regards
                      Steve in Thunder Bay, ON