How Do I Write An Auto-Replace Clipbook?

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 11, 2011
      Hi everyone.

      I am editing foreign software documentation for English readability. It
      would be of great help to me if I could write several auto-replacement
      libraries, each for a different purpose. I looked at length through
      NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv's Help files and the Fookes Software website, and
      found two auto-replace clipbooks -- HTML-ar and DocBook. However, I
      could not find a template, sample/source code, or how-to's for creating
      auto-replace clipbooks of my own.

      Could someone please direct me to any available source code or self-help
      data for writing auto-replace clipbooks?

      Regards,
      RetiredEngineer1
    • loro
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 11, 2011
        RetiredEngineer1 wrote:
        >I looked at length through
        >NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv's Help files and the Fookes Software website, and
        >found two auto-replace clipbooks -- HTML-ar and DocBook. However, I
        >could not find a template, sample/source code, or how-to's for creating
        >auto-replace clipbooks of my own.

        I don't find it now either and I thought I knew where it was. Anyway,
        it's easy. Open one of the auto-replace libraries you have as a
        document (right-click in combo box, choose Open as Document). Copy
        the very first line. Open your own library and replace the first line
        with the one you copied.

        Normal library header
        = V5 MultiLine NoSorting TabWidth=30
        AR library header
        = V5 MultiLine AutoReplace TabWidth=30

        That's it. You can also turn on auto-replace for any library from the
        menu, Tools | Auto-replace Mode.

        Lotta
      • Eb
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
          Hi RetiredEngineer1,

          1. Create any clip library by right-click in the clipbook title pane (where the name of the current clipbook is displayed.
          2. Select New, give it a name
          3. Next right-click in the pane below, and select Add new clip, give it a name.
          4. enter whatever you wish the clip to contain.

          5. To make it auto-replace, right click on the clip name, and select Auto-replace. NOTE: this makes the entire library auto-replace.

          6. SAVE the library after changing this switch, otherwise the setting will get lost.

          7. Add clips as needed, according to step 3 & 4.

          Here are a few more tips regarding Auto-replace:

          You can mix auto-replace clips and non-replace clips in the same library. TO make a clip NON-auto-replace, just put a SPACE anywhere into the clip's name. Or use any of the Autor-replace trigger characters (aka activation keys).

          Auto-replace clips do not need to have code in them. Just plain text will work - it pastes to replace the clip's name after you type it.

          If you DO have clip code in an auto-replace clip, it can call other clips, just like any clip can.

          Biggest problem source with auto-replace clips: "^&" which places the cursor but also causes the activation key to be discarded after pasting the ar content. If the clip does NOT contain the ^& code, it will retain the activation key, and paste it after the content.

          Cheers,

          Eb

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2011
            Eb wrote:
            >5. To make it auto-replace, right click on the clip name, and select
            >Auto-replace. NOTE: this makes the entire library auto-replace.

            I'll be! Unbelievable, but I've never noticed that option. OK, I
            don't use auto-replace and I guess I never look below the second
            section on the context menu, but anyway. It's amazing that after all
            these years Notetab still has secrets.

            Lotta
          • Eb
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2011
              Yes, I too continuously discover new things. I guess NoteTab has just too many features. Maybe we should complain to Eric <g>.

              skoal

              Eb