Re: [NTB] The $5 "find your registration fee" is a load of crap....

  • Don
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
      Good morning Robert,

      Stuff happens, so you have my sympathy -- I know the last time I needed
      the "key" I asked Jody for it ... so it has been a while. If I
      understand you they now charge $5 to retrieve it which I have to say
      doesn't seem that terrible on the relative scale. The software is
      fairly inexpensive and we go years with periodic updates without paying.
      Compare it to other software of same utility (actually for me there
      aren't any I have in my tool box ... so next best utility) and many of
      them have annual or more often updates that you must pay for.

      So while I appreciate that you would prefer to pay zero for this
      service, I think I'd be willing to pay the $5 if asked. It seems at
      most a convenience charge that probably is less than the time taken to
      assist. So while I understand your point, I also see theirs.

      As an alternative in a pinch of course you can also go to light version.

      I hope you feel better about the charge on further reflection and hang
      around. If not, I have no control over the situation so I can only say
      cheers and best wished for the future.

      Don

      On 1/2/2011 11:47 PM, Robert wrote:
      > Ever hear of two hard drives going at once...
      > My laptop and my backup drive went at the same time...
      > And my backup of my backup are in Florida...
      > And I'm in New York...
      > So I needed the software now... not later...

    • Christopher Chaltain
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
        No one wants to pay $5 if they don't have to, but Fookes's policy on
        this seems pretty clear and well documented to me. Furthermore, I've
        seen similar arrangements for other software, particularly for my cell
        phone, so this isn't unique. Here's what it says in Notetab's FAQ at
        http://www.notetab.com/faq.php#reinstalling, and I'm pretty sure the
        extended download warranty was offered to me when I purchased Notetab Pro.

        Re-installing NoteTab and lost licenses
        Q. I have lost my license key. How can I re-install NoteTab?

        A. NoteTab doesn't use license keys. The paid version is a different
        program file from the trial version. If you still have the retail Setup
        program for
        NoteTab, then simply install it to get up and running again.

        Q. The download link has expired and I need to download again.

        A. Download links expire after a couple of days and/or after a couple of
        download attempts. Unless you purchased an Extended Download Warranty,
        you should
        always keep a backup copy of the retail Setup file off your computer so
        that you can reinstall whenever necessary. See the next questions for
        more information.

        Q. I bought an Extended Download Warranty. How can I re-activate my
        download link?

        A. You will find the "Re-activate Download" instructions in the receipt
        email that was sent to you when you purchased an Extended Download
        Warranty along
        with your NoteTab license. If you chose not to buy an Extended Download
        Warranty, then it is your responsibility to make a back-up copy of the
        retail NoteTab
        Setup file off your computer and keep it in a safe location.

        Q. I lost my retail Setup program. How can I get a new copy?

        A. If you still have a working version of NoteTab 4.95 or more recent on
        your computer, you can download a new retail Setup file through
        NoteTab's "Check
        for Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu (this Setup
        file does not require a previous working version of NoteTab). If you
        have an older
        version, you can update your copy by following the instructions on our
        Upgrades
        page.

        If you no longer have a copy of the retail Setup file and you do not
        have a valid Extended Download Warranty, please purchase a "
        Search & Resend Registration Details"
        service to have us recover your lost file. Alternatively, if you are a
        licensed user of NoteTab Pro or Std version 4, you can
        contact us
        to receive a 50% upgrade discount to the latest version 6 update.

        Alternatively, depending on your location, you can get a new retail
        version or upgrade for FREE with TrialPay. For more information, click
        on the NoteTab
        license that interests you:

        NoteTab Pro (free) with TrialPay
        NoteTab Std (free) with TrialPay