Re: [NTB] The $5 "find your registration fee" is a load of crap....

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
      Ever hear of two hard drives going at once...
      My laptop and my backup drive went at the same time...
      And my backup of my backup are in Florida...
      And I'm in New York...
      So I needed the software now... not later...

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Kerry Coates at GilaMountainDulcimers.com" <kerry@...> wrote:

      > Never heard of such a thing! I ALWAYS save my .exe file (install file) to my external hard drive now -- when I lost my computer, all it took was one double click and I was up and running!
      >
      > Remember -- Health is Wealth!
      >
      > Hugs,
      > Kerry Coates in New Mexico, USA
      > GNLD NeoLife Director - http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
      > My Blog - http://www.KerryCoates.com/blog
      > Pure Water Filter Systems: http://www.USAWaterFilterSystems.com
      > My Profile - http://www.google.com/profiles/kerrykcoates444

    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
        Good morning Robert,

        Stuff happens, so you have my sympathy -- I know the last time I needed
        the "key" I asked Jody for it ... so it has been a while. If I
        understand you they now charge $5 to retrieve it which I have to say
        doesn't seem that terrible on the relative scale. The software is
        fairly inexpensive and we go years with periodic updates without paying.
        Compare it to other software of same utility (actually for me there
        aren't any I have in my tool box ... so next best utility) and many of
        them have annual or more often updates that you must pay for.

        So while I appreciate that you would prefer to pay zero for this
        service, I think I'd be willing to pay the $5 if asked. It seems at
        most a convenience charge that probably is less than the time taken to
        assist. So while I understand your point, I also see theirs.

        As an alternative in a pinch of course you can also go to light version.

        I hope you feel better about the charge on further reflection and hang
        around. If not, I have no control over the situation so I can only say
        cheers and best wished for the future.

        Don

        On 1/2/2011 11:47 PM, Robert wrote:
        > Ever hear of two hard drives going at once...
        > My laptop and my backup drive went at the same time...
        > And my backup of my backup are in Florida...
        > And I'm in New York...
        > So I needed the software now... not later...

      • Christopher Chaltain
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
          No one wants to pay $5 if they don't have to, but Fookes's policy on
          this seems pretty clear and well documented to me. Furthermore, I've
          seen similar arrangements for other software, particularly for my cell
          phone, so this isn't unique. Here's what it says in Notetab's FAQ at
          http://www.notetab.com/faq.php#reinstalling, and I'm pretty sure the
          extended download warranty was offered to me when I purchased Notetab Pro.

          Re-installing NoteTab and lost licenses
          Q. I have lost my license key. How can I re-install NoteTab?

          A. NoteTab doesn't use license keys. The paid version is a different
          program file from the trial version. If you still have the retail Setup
          program for
          NoteTab, then simply install it to get up and running again.

          Q. The download link has expired and I need to download again.

          A. Download links expire after a couple of days and/or after a couple of
          download attempts. Unless you purchased an Extended Download Warranty,
          you should
          always keep a backup copy of the retail Setup file off your computer so
          that you can reinstall whenever necessary. See the next questions for
          more information.

          Q. I bought an Extended Download Warranty. How can I re-activate my
          download link?

          A. You will find the "Re-activate Download" instructions in the receipt
          email that was sent to you when you purchased an Extended Download
          Warranty along
          with your NoteTab license. If you chose not to buy an Extended Download
          Warranty, then it is your responsibility to make a back-up copy of the
          retail NoteTab
          Setup file off your computer and keep it in a safe location.

          Q. I lost my retail Setup program. How can I get a new copy?

          A. If you still have a working version of NoteTab 4.95 or more recent on
          your computer, you can download a new retail Setup file through
          NoteTab's "Check
          for Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu (this Setup
          file does not require a previous working version of NoteTab). If you
          have an older
          version, you can update your copy by following the instructions on our
          Upgrades
          page.

          If you no longer have a copy of the retail Setup file and you do not
          have a valid Extended Download Warranty, please purchase a "
          Search & Resend Registration Details"
          service to have us recover your lost file. Alternatively, if you are a
          licensed user of NoteTab Pro or Std version 4, you can
          contact us
          to receive a 50% upgrade discount to the latest version 6 update.

          Alternatively, depending on your location, you can get a new retail
          version or upgrade for FREE with TrialPay. For more information, click
          on the NoteTab
          license that interests you:

          NoteTab Pro (free) with TrialPay
          NoteTab Std (free) with TrialPay