Re: [NTB] The $5 "find your registration fee" is a load of crap....

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
      On 1/1/2011 3:39 PM, Robert wrote:
      > I had a hard drive crash and lost my files and emails...
      >
      > And while resetting up my computer...
      >
      > No one else I have bought software from is asking for a fee to get me
      > the files...

      If I'm correctly understanding what you're saying, the problem is that
      when your hard drive crashed, you lost the NoteTab Pro installer file,
      and then when you went to re-download the installer, you were asked to
      pay a fee, correct? There are many, many shareware developers with
      similar arrangements. That is, you have the option at the time of
      purchase to pay an extra $5 or suchlike for "insurance" that will let
      you download the software in case you lose the installation file.

      I typically don't buy the "insurance," but instead maintain multiple
      copies of the installer file on different discs, as part of my normal
      backup (and arguably OCD) procedures. That way, I never need to
      re-download lost programs.

      In terms of your "files and emails," I'm not sure what you mean there.
      Do you mean the emails containing the purchase receipt and, again, the
      NoteTab installer file, or do you mean your actual data files? If it's
      the former, again, lots of shareware developers don't enable
      re-downloads in perpetuity; it's not just Fookes who do this. If it's
      the latter, your data files and emails are not owned or maintained by
      the NoteTab program. Those files should be kicking around wherever you
      have them backed up. My apologies if the latter statement is too
      obvious. I'm just trying to understand the specific parameters of the
      problem you're experiencing.

      My sympathies about your data loss. Many years ago, when I was writing
      an article for a particular magazine, I wrote it for the first time on
      this new-fangled thing called a "computer." I had 48 hours to write a
      twelve-page article. With about six hours to go, the computer crashed
      and I lost the file. I hurriedly rewrote the article from my handwritten
      notes -- actually met the deadline -- but from then on became obsessive
      about backing up frequently and to multiple locations.

      Anyway, cold comfort I know. Sorry for your loss.

      Scott

      > So WTF?
      >
      > I won't buy it again and I won't pay a ransom to get what I paid for in
      > the first place.
      >
      > So if any of you want to buy the software...
      >
      > It does work great but...
      >
      > The "ransom fee" is stupid and not good customer relations...
      >
      > My 2 cents worth...
      > A new ex notetab pro user

    • Rick Mitchell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2011
        I'll send you a copy of my backed up installer file for FOUR BUCKS!!!!

        Such a deal!

        (just kidding)

        RICK

        --
        RICK MITCHELL - Atlanta - USA
        404 964 2069

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
          Ever hear of two hard drives going at once...
          My laptop and my backup drive went at the same time...
          And my backup of my backup are in Florida...
          And I'm in New York...
          So I needed the software now... not later...

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Kerry Coates at GilaMountainDulcimers.com" <kerry@...> wrote:

          > Never heard of such a thing! I ALWAYS save my .exe file (install file) to my external hard drive now -- when I lost my computer, all it took was one double click and I was up and running!
          >
          > Remember -- Health is Wealth!
          >
          > Hugs,
          > Kerry Coates in New Mexico, USA
          > GNLD NeoLife Director - http://www.Amazing-Health-Products.com
          > My Blog - http://www.KerryCoates.com/blog
          > Pure Water Filter Systems: http://www.USAWaterFilterSystems.com
          > My Profile - http://www.google.com/profiles/kerrykcoates444

        • Don
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
            Good morning Robert,

            Stuff happens, so you have my sympathy -- I know the last time I needed
            the "key" I asked Jody for it ... so it has been a while. If I
            understand you they now charge $5 to retrieve it which I have to say
            doesn't seem that terrible on the relative scale. The software is
            fairly inexpensive and we go years with periodic updates without paying.
            Compare it to other software of same utility (actually for me there
            aren't any I have in my tool box ... so next best utility) and many of
            them have annual or more often updates that you must pay for.

            So while I appreciate that you would prefer to pay zero for this
            service, I think I'd be willing to pay the $5 if asked. It seems at
            most a convenience charge that probably is less than the time taken to
            assist. So while I understand your point, I also see theirs.

            As an alternative in a pinch of course you can also go to light version.

            I hope you feel better about the charge on further reflection and hang
            around. If not, I have no control over the situation so I can only say
            cheers and best wished for the future.

            Don

            On 1/2/2011 11:47 PM, Robert wrote:
            > Ever hear of two hard drives going at once...
            > My laptop and my backup drive went at the same time...
            > And my backup of my backup are in Florida...
            > And I'm in New York...
            > So I needed the software now... not later...

          • Christopher Chaltain
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2011
              No one wants to pay $5 if they don't have to, but Fookes's policy on
              this seems pretty clear and well documented to me. Furthermore, I've
              seen similar arrangements for other software, particularly for my cell
              phone, so this isn't unique. Here's what it says in Notetab's FAQ at
              http://www.notetab.com/faq.php#reinstalling, and I'm pretty sure the
              extended download warranty was offered to me when I purchased Notetab Pro.

              Re-installing NoteTab and lost licenses
              Q. I have lost my license key. How can I re-install NoteTab?

              A. NoteTab doesn't use license keys. The paid version is a different
              program file from the trial version. If you still have the retail Setup
              program for
              NoteTab, then simply install it to get up and running again.

              Q. The download link has expired and I need to download again.

              A. Download links expire after a couple of days and/or after a couple of
              download attempts. Unless you purchased an Extended Download Warranty,
              you should
              always keep a backup copy of the retail Setup file off your computer so
              that you can reinstall whenever necessary. See the next questions for
              more information.

              Q. I bought an Extended Download Warranty. How can I re-activate my
              download link?

              A. You will find the "Re-activate Download" instructions in the receipt
              email that was sent to you when you purchased an Extended Download
              Warranty along
              with your NoteTab license. If you chose not to buy an Extended Download
              Warranty, then it is your responsibility to make a back-up copy of the
              retail NoteTab
              Setup file off your computer and keep it in a safe location.

              Q. I lost my retail Setup program. How can I get a new copy?

              A. If you still have a working version of NoteTab 4.95 or more recent on
              your computer, you can download a new retail Setup file through
              NoteTab's "Check
              for Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu (this Setup
              file does not require a previous working version of NoteTab). If you
              have an older
              version, you can update your copy by following the instructions on our
              Upgrades
              page.

              If you no longer have a copy of the retail Setup file and you do not
              have a valid Extended Download Warranty, please purchase a "
              Search & Resend Registration Details"
              service to have us recover your lost file. Alternatively, if you are a
              licensed user of NoteTab Pro or Std version 4, you can
              contact us
              to receive a 50% upgrade discount to the latest version 6 update.

              Alternatively, depending on your location, you can get a new retail
              version or upgrade for FREE with TrialPay. For more information, click
              on the NoteTab
              license that interests you:

              NoteTab Pro (free) with TrialPay
              NoteTab Std (free) with TrialPay