Text-compare tools: recommendations?

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
      I have been searching for a good text-compare tool for years. Yes, I'm
      aware of WinMerge and similar tools, but they have a major shortcoming:
      they are geared for programmers, and do line-by-line comparison.
      Furthermore, they don't wrap lines.

      I'm looking for something able to deal with long lines of regular text,
      doing word-by-word (or better yet, character-by-character) comparison. I
      have been using Microsoft Word for that, but it has a big problem --
      Word is a terrible HTML editor (no, I lie: it would have to improve a
      lot in order to ascend to "terrible" status). So I have to use it to
      find the differences and edit them in Notetab in a separate window,
      which is not very efficient.

      I recently became aware of a tool called "Diffuse", and it seems to at
      least highlight the exact place of the difference (instead of just the
      entire line), but it still looks too programmer-geared for my needs.

      Does anybody know of a tool with the features I mentioned?

      --
      MCBastos

      use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

      -=-=-
      ... It did what? Well, it's not supposed to do that.
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
        I have long lines and need wrapping and every single change between documents including whitespace. I use the free
        http://sourcegear.com/diffmerge/index.html

        You can control the granularity of what it compares. It is really for merging programmer's files too, but I find it
        works great for my needs, which is probably pretty close to yours. I have tried just about all the free ones, and some
        that cost money, and this remains my favorite. It's amazing how few of them do line wrapping.

        Regards,
        John
        <http://recipetoolz.com/> http://recipetoolz.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
          I forgot to mention that it can be run from the command line. I run it directly from my scripts, if enabled. My clips
          will process an original text file, produce a resulting text file, then bring up the comparison tool to see what changes
          it made, all automatically. Very handy.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
            I use examDiff myself -- don't remember what it does with line wrapping

            Who has one to compare actual content of two web pages?

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
              Not entirely sure what you mean, Don - web pages are just text files, and DiffMerge 'knows' about xml, utf-8,
              programmer's codes, etc. And you can add more rule sets if you want.

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
                I don't want to download the pages -- I want to give it two urls (or
                better yet lists of urls side by side) and have it tell me what's
                different. I also want to disregard the sidebars and just do the
                content section. What do you think?

                On 11/30/2010 4:19 PM, John Shotsky wrote:
                > Not entirely sure what you mean, Don - web pages are just text files, and DiffMerge 'knows' about xml, utf-8,
                > programmer's codes, etc. And you can add more rule sets if you want.
                >
                > Regards,
                > John
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 30, 2010
                  No, not per se, but anything you can view in a browser is already on your computer. I don't know of any diff for web
                  pages that aren't downloaded to a computer, nor one that accepts urls as input files. Of course, if you have a local and
                  remote on your own computer, as I have, you can do that by giving it the file names.