RE: [NTB] Possible, two profiles with two list of docs?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 17, 2010
      You may have several .ini files, and can set a clip to choose which one you want to use.
      John

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 17, 2010
        On 11/17/2010 3:47 PM, Debbie Pomerance wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Using NoteTab Pro (v6.2/fv).
        >
        > Can one have multiple profiles, or .ini files so that one can start
        > different instances of NoteTab, each listing a different set of documents in
        > the tab bar?
        >
        > If not - why note - seems like a very useful idea.
        >
        > User of Notetab Pro for close to 15 years.
        >
        > odp
        Yes, just create a new version of NoteTab Pro.ini with a new name and
        start NoteTab from a shortcut using the
        "/USER=" option described in Help under "Command-line Parameters"
      • Debbie Pomerance
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 17, 2010
          On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Don Daugherty <ddaugherty@...>wrote:

          > On 11/17/2010 3:47 PM, Debbie Pomerance wrote:
          > > Using NoteTab Pro (v6.2/fv).
          > >
          > > Can one have multiple profiles, or .ini files so that one can start
          > > different instances of NoteTab, each listing a different set of documents
          > in
          > > the tab bar?
          > >
          > > If not - why note - seems like a very useful idea.
          > > odp
          >

          > Yes, just create a new version of NoteTab Pro.ini with a new name and
          > start NoteTab from a shortcut using the
          > "/USER=" option described in Help under "Command-line Parameters"

          I tried this, copied my .ini file to a new directory and tried the following
          on the shortcut

          notetab.exe /USER="d:\notetabt" /INI="d:\notetabt\noteprot"

          Notetab started, but it started as a new startup.

          I think my parameters are correct, syntax?

          Thank you.

          --

          Debbie Pomerance
          mailto Debbie.Pomerance@...

          Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."
          For Net security use Unix, Linux, any 'ix' OS.

        • Lawrence
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17, 2010
            Debbie,

            If your command line to launch NoteTab uses the name of an ini file that does not exist, NoteTab will create it from scratch. So this behavior is correct.

            I use multiple shortcuts using different ini files for different projects. At work I have my main ini for my general day to day stuff, but use custom ini files for various big projects to keep that work separate and in a state I can pick up where I left off, without having to change anything.

            I also built a clip several years ago to build command lines to use to build the command lines to launch NoteTab.

            Here is a sample command line using nearly every option, my clip is old and I have not updated it to take advantage of all the options since.

            Following line may wrap:
            "C:\NoteTab\NotePro.exe"/L="HTML" /C=HTML /INST="HTML Editing" /INI="Myini.ini"

            Here is my commandline that I use at work:

            Following line may wrap:
            C:\NoteTab\NotePro.exe /L="_Work" /C=Work /INI="Work" /USER="C:\NoteTab"

            In my example above, I have the NoteTab directory on the C:\ drive, as I have been a 12.5 year user of NoteTab, and prefer it that way. /L is the library to start with, /C is the clipbar to start with, and /INI calls the ini, work.ini. you can include the .ini if you want.

            Looking at your example, make sure that the directory for your /USER parameter exists. You have double quotes around your parameters, so that is excellent.

            Also the ini file "noteprot.ini" should exist in the directory "d:\notetabt", or it will create a new ini if it cannot find it.

            Look at "Command-line Parameters" in the main NoteTab help.

            You have a valid command line in this example, so check for typos.

            If you are interested in my command line building clip, ask for it on the Clips list.

            HTH,

            ~Larry

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Pomerance <Debbie.pomerance@...> wrote:
            > I tried this, copied my .ini file to a new directory and tried the following
            > on the shortcut
            >
            > notetab.exe /USER="d:\notetabt" /INI="d:\notetabt\noteprot"
            >
            > Notetab started, but it started as a new startup.
            >
            > I think my parameters are correct, syntax?
            >
            > Thank you.
            >
            > --
            >
            > Debbie Pomerance
            > mailto Debbie.Pomerance@...
            >
            > Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."
            > For Net security use Unix, Linux, any 'ix' OS.
          • DeborahP
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 18, 2010
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence" <lmh@...> wrote:

              > If your command line to launch NoteTab uses the name of an ini file that does not exist, NoteTab will create it from scratch. So this behavior is correct.
              >
              > I use multiple shortcuts using different ini files for different projects. At work I have my main ini for my general day to day stuff, but use custom ini files for various big projects to keep that work separate and in a state I can pick up where I left off, without having to change anything.
              >
              > I also built a clip several years ago to build command lines to use to build the command lines to launch NoteTab.
              >
              > Here is a sample command line using nearly every option, my clip is old and I have not updated it to take advantage of all the options since.
              >
              > Following line may wrap:
              > "C:\NoteTab\NotePro.exe"/L="HTML" /C=HTML /INST="HTML Editing" /INI="Myini.ini"
              >
              > Here is my commandline that I use at work:
              >
              > Following line may wrap:
              > C:\NoteTab\NotePro.exe /L="_Work" /C=Work /INI="Work" /USER="C:\NoteTab"
              >
              > In my example above, I have the NoteTab directory on the C:\ drive, as I have been a 12.5 year user of NoteTab, and prefer it that way. /L is the library to start with, /C is the clipbar to start with, and /INI calls the ini, work.ini. you can include the .ini if you want.
              >
              > Looking at your example, make sure that the directory for your /USER parameter exists. You have double quotes around your parameters, so that is excellent.
              >
              > Also the ini file "noteprot.ini" should exist in the directory "d:\notetabt", or it will create a new ini if it cannot find it.
              >
              > Look at "Command-line Parameters" in the main NoteTab help.
              >
              > You have a valid command line in this example, so check for typos.
              >
              > If you are interested in my command line building clip, ask for it on the Clips list.

              Larry,

              Thank you again. I do not want to have to create a USER for notetab. I hope I can eliminate this step.

              I did find my mistake, I forgot part of the path (the directory 'Data'), and I eliminated the USER switch.

              so now I am using notetab.exe /INI="D:\data\notetabt\noteprot"

              This worked, and I can either insert another ini file into the above directory or create another Notetab type directory within Data. This helps me back things up when I back all of my Data directory to an external drive.

              But, I currently use NotetabPro in a more vanilla way - all changes occur within .ini. I have no mods in Favorites, Spelling, Libraries, or Templates. But this may change. I see switches on the command line for specifying an alternate location for Temp, Libraries, and Favorites, but not Spelling.

              It is great that NoteTab provides a high degree of granularity, but it would be nice too, if one could with a switch parm, just specify a new directory path for everything, period.

              Am I missing it?

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 18, 2010
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "DeborahP" <Debbie.pomerance@...> wrote:
                > Larry,
                >
                > Thank you again. I do not want to have to create a USER for notetab. I hope I can eliminate this step.

                /USER is a switch to specify the location of your data files, it can be any location you wish. It is not about creating a new user in Windows. I think Eric called it user, since a default installation uses the Windows User directory.

                > I did find my mistake, I forgot part of the path (the directory 'Data'), and I eliminated the USER switch.
                >
                > so now I am using notetab.exe /INI="D:\data\notetabt\noteprot"
                >
                > This worked, and I can either insert another ini file into the above directory or create another Notetab type directory within Data. This helps me back things up when I back all of my Data directory to an external drive.
                >
                > But, I currently use NotetabPro in a more vanilla way - all changes occur within .ini. I have no mods in Favorites, Spelling, Libraries, or Templates. But this may change. I see switches on the command line for specifying an alternate location for Temp, Libraries, and Favorites, but not Spelling.

                I think Spelling is one thing that has come up before. I don't recall specifics.

                > It is great that NoteTab provides a high degree of granularity, but it would be nice too, if one could with a switch parm, just specify a new directory path for everything, period.
                >
                > Am I missing it?

                No, if you want to specify, it has to be each piece. However, using the /USER switch is closest to a single switch.

                > Thanks

                Glad to help.

                ~ Larry

              • Debbie Pomerance
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 19, 2010
                  On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM, Lawrence <lmh@...>wrote:

                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <notetab%40yahoogroups.com>, "DeborahP"
                  > <Debbie.pomerance@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > /USER is a switch to specify the location of your data files, it can be any
                  > location you wish. It is not about creating a new user in Windows. I think
                  > Eric called it user, since a default installation uses the Windows User
                  > directory.

                  Thank you for clarification on /USER -- now that win7 uses Users as a
                  directory name, I made the wrong assumption. I added /user and it seems to
                  have created all the temp files, and the directories (templates, libraries,
                  etc.) within the /user directory I specify.

                  Thank you again for your help.

                  --

                  Debbie Pomerance
                  mailto Debbie.Pomerance@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 19, 2010
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Debbie Pomerance <Debbie.pomerance@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you for clarification on /USER -- now that win7 uses Users as a
                    > directory name, I made the wrong assumption. I added /user and it seems to
                    > have created all the temp files, and the directories (templates, libraries,
                    > etc.) within the /user directory I specify.
                    >
                    > Thank you again for your help.

                    Debbie - Glad to help.

                    NoteTab is great and I use it every day at work and home.

                    It is one of the things that helps me be so successful at my job and volunteer work, and even fun.

                    ~ Larry