Re: [NTB] Re: Windows 7 installation problems

  • Thomas Gruber
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
      Hi Vance,
      the current version of NoteTab pro is 6.12 ! So if you installed NoteTab 5 as the folder name indicates, that version may well have been created before Windows 7 existed, so it didn't know about this problem yet. I'm sure NoteTab 6 installs correctly under Windows 7 and puts the user settings folders into the user's personal folders.
      Kind regards
      Thomas

    • Thomas Gruber
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
        Hi Vance,
        here is what I get as the result of "GetLibraryUserPath" with NoteTab pro 6.12 under Windows 7 after a standard installation, all default paths:

        C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Libraries\

        xxxxxxxx is the user name. This is a folder where the user has full access rights.

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
          On 2010-11-10 12:29, John Shotsky wrote:
          > There is an exception to the rule that it will use a local notepro or
          > notetab.ini if found in the .exe file. If you
          > create a brand new, empty one, that is true. But, if, after
          > installation, and customizing NoteTab for your preferences,
          > you then copy the .ini file from the %appdata% location, hoping to
          > preserve your preferences, you will be surprised to
          > learn that it continues to look in the %appdata% folders anyway.
          >
          > To prevent this, you need to edit the notepro.ini or notetab.ini file
          > in the Notetab.exe folder with a DIFFERENT text
          > editor, and change the line:
          > UseProfileFolder=1
          > UseProfileFolder=0.
          > Then save, and start NoteTab. Now, it is told to NOT use the appdata
          > location, and you can review it as needed.
          Thanks for the clarification John. I guess that somewhat follows from
          the rule "use %appdata% in preference to %progfiles%" though I had
          forgotten, if I ever knew, about the "UseProfileFolder=" option.

        • Vance E. Neff
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 11, 2010
            Thomas,

            Yes that was what had happened. I forgot that I installed version 5 first.

            I thought I had to install the version that I had been sent when
            purchased before installing any upgrades.

            Vance