Re: [NTB] Re: Windows 7 installation problems

  • Vance E. Neff
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
      Eb,

      Actually, that was one of the first things I did.

      I had no problem finding AppData\Roaming; but, for some reason there was
      no NoteTab subdirectory. There were a couple of other program's data
      directory.

      Vance

      On 11/6/2010 6:14 PM, Eb wrote:
      > In order to see the folder where NT stores its data, you have to make it visible:
      >
      > At the top left of the explorer window,
      > click Organize --> Folder/Search options -->
      > View Tab ==> "Advanced Settings"
      >
      > look for Hidden files and Folders, check "Show hidden ..." and click Apply.
      >
      > Among the many confusing folders you should have no trouble finding C:\users\(username)\AppData, which you can explore, or go straight to Roaming\NoteTab Pro|Light
      >
      > I suggest that you hide hidden folders again, when done.
      >

      > Cheers,
      >

      > Eb
      >
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "veneffy"<veneff@...> wrote:
      >> ... Windows 7 Pro.
      >> I first installed Notetab Pro 5.7 ...
      >
      >> ... There is no<user>\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab folder.

    • Eb
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
        Vance,

        Do you know where NoteTab THINKS it's storing its config and data?

        Here is a 2-clip utility to evaluate functions like
        "^$GetLibraryUserPath$" without writing a separate
        clip for each. Just copy the two clips to a test
        library, and run the Eval clip:

        ;----->8-----
        H="Eval Built-in Functions"
        ; long line
        ^!Set %fn%=^?{Enter Function name without special chars}; %args%=^?{Enter arguments to the functions - may contain special chars}
        ; end long line
        ^!IfEmpty ^%args% SKIP
        ^!Set %fn%=^%fn%(^%args%)
        ^!Set %eval%=^$Xlat(^%fn%)$
        ^!Info [L]^%eval%

        H="_Xlat"
        ;translate variable to working function
        ^!Result ^$^&$
        ;----->8-----

        To evaluate, for example, the above mentioned function,
        enter only its NAME into the wizard, NOT the caret and dollar signs.

        Knowing where NoteTab stores stuff may help you get it right.

        Eb

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
          Eb,

          Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
          My original post actually indicated that NoteTab thinks it's Favorites
          folder is at:
          C:\Program Files(x86)\Notetab Pro 5\Favorites
          But, when I created a new catagory, it did not go there. This is where
          Windows decided to put the new file in the VirtualStore (with all the
          ApplicationData/ echoes). I don't know why NoteTab chose it's program
          directory for the various application folders. I had thought it would
          know to as an user application directory in Windows 7 installations.
          But, no matter, I reinstalled NoteTab outside of the program Files
          directories.

          Vance

        • Thomas Gruber
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
            Hi Vance,
            the current version of NoteTab pro is 6.12 ! So if you installed NoteTab 5 as the folder name indicates, that version may well have been created before Windows 7 existed, so it didn't know about this problem yet. I'm sure NoteTab 6 installs correctly under Windows 7 and puts the user settings folders into the user's personal folders.
            Kind regards
            Thomas

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
              Hi Vance,
              here is what I get as the result of "GetLibraryUserPath" with NoteTab pro 6.12 under Windows 7 after a standard installation, all default paths:

              C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Libraries\

              xxxxxxxx is the user name. This is a folder where the user has full access rights.

            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                On 2010-11-10 10:59, Vance E. Neff wrote:
                > Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
                > My original post actually indicated that NoteTab thinks it's Favorites
                > folder is at:
                > C:\Program Files(x86)\Notetab Pro 5\Favorites
                > But, when I created a new catagory, it did not go there. This is where
                > Windows decided to put the new file in the VirtualStore (with all the
                > ApplicationData/ echoes). I don't know why NoteTab chose it's program
                > directory for the various application folders. I had thought it would
                > know to as an user application directory in Windows 7 installations.
                > But, no matter, I reinstalled NoteTab outside of the program Files
                > directories.
                Vance: Jumping in here, hopefully to clarify not further confuse :-)
                I haven't currently got authoritative links to following in Notetab HELP
                but believe its true, Read only if interested.

                Key point is that when Notetab opens if it finds a Notepro.ini (for pro
                version, otherwise Notetab.ini - Light or Std)
                in the folder containing the Notepro.exe (or Notetab.exe) it will assume
                all its sub-folders (for Favorites, Libraries etc.) are under the
                %progfiles% location. eg. C:\ProgramFiles\Notetab Pro\ ... in Vista and
                Win-7 this will create problems if you are using an account that does
                NOT have write access. (eg. Changes to Options will not stick across
                program restarts, nor will changes to Favorites nor will changes made to
                clips or clipbars)

                If there is NOT a notepro.ini in the %progfiles% folder it will attempt
                to find one in the "normal" application data folder (%appdata%):
                WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
                Win-7: C:\Users\<user>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                If it does not find one in the %appdata% folder it will create one with
                default values.

                Hopefully this explains your comment: " I had thought it would know to
                as an user application directory in Windows 7 installations". It
                "knows" based on the existence/absence of a notepro.ini file in the same
                folder as the notepro.exe

                Based on your description of what's happening, both when you had Notetab
                installed in C:\Program Files and when you installed it "outside of the
                program Files directories." I think this is the situation you are in.

                Now ... whenever you create NEW favorites categories (or modify existing
                ones - or create new clip libraries or modify them by changing the clip
                code in them) Notetab will write the new or changed files to the
                %appdata% sub-folders. If the same file exists in both the %progfiles%
                and %appdata% folders it will use the one in %appdata%. However, if
                files (ie. clip libraries or favorite categories) exist in ONLY the
                %progfiles% folder Notetab will use these (in read-only mode) unless you
                add favorites to a category or modify a clip (in a clip library).
                Essentially, for presentation to you in the program it transparently
                merges the two possible data sources.

                I'm guessing that you don't modify any clips so only the stuff about
                Favorites above will apply to you?
                I'm also guessing that the Favorites you copied over from your previous
                installation on WinXP are the ones that are in %progfiles% while new
                ones are going to %appdata%

                In summary: if you want you *could* (while Notetab is not running and
                after making backups!!) move your "old" Favorites files from the
                %progfiles% location to the %appdata% location.

                If I'm wrong and you *do* create/modify your own clips you should leave
                the ones in %progfiles%\Library alone - these are standard and will get
                updated automatically if Eric makes changes to any of them in a future
                version. If you create a new clip library as per above it will
                automatically go into the %appdata%/Libraries as soon as you save it the
                first time.

              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                  There is an exception to the rule that it will use a local notepro or notetab.ini if found in the .exe file. If you
                  create a brand new, empty one, that is true. But, if, after installation, and customizing NoteTab for your preferences,
                  you then copy the .ini file from the %appdata% location, hoping to preserve your preferences, you will be surprised to
                  learn that it continues to look in the %appdata% folders anyway.

                  To prevent this, you need to edit the notepro.ini or notetab.ini file in the Notetab.exe folder with a DIFFERENT text
                  editor, and change the line:
                  UseProfileFolder=1
                  UseProfileFolder=0.
                  Then save, and start NoteTab. Now, it is told to NOT use the appdata location, and you can review it as needed.

                  Just remember, NoteTab always writes its internal version of notepro.ini back out to notepro.ini upon closing. Thus, if
                  you edit notepro.ini WITH NoteTab, your edits will be overwritten upon close. There are ways around this, which I have
                  employed, since I often add variables to the .ini file using my clip libraries. Without going into a lot of detail, you
                  use the loadini and saveini commands, while changing variables to be saved in the interim. I have a set of clips that
                  adds new variables upon discovery that the newly loaded .ini file doesn't contain a new variable name. I save the
                  variable to memory, save that to the .ini file, saveini, loadini, and all is good. The next time NoteTab starts, it
                  contains that new variable name.

                  I encourage my users to install outside of Program Files, and to bring the .ini file local, so that Vista and Windows 7
                  don't get involved in their clip usage. I have spent hours with people with xp/vista/windows 7 trying to get them
                  successful, and the only thing that is consistently successful is the above.

                  Regards,
                  John
                  <http://recipetoolz.com/> http://recipetoolz.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                    On 2010-11-10 12:29, John Shotsky wrote:
                    > There is an exception to the rule that it will use a local notepro or
                    > notetab.ini if found in the .exe file. If you
                    > create a brand new, empty one, that is true. But, if, after
                    > installation, and customizing NoteTab for your preferences,
                    > you then copy the .ini file from the %appdata% location, hoping to
                    > preserve your preferences, you will be surprised to
                    > learn that it continues to look in the %appdata% folders anyway.
                    >
                    > To prevent this, you need to edit the notepro.ini or notetab.ini file
                    > in the Notetab.exe folder with a DIFFERENT text
                    > editor, and change the line:
                    > UseProfileFolder=1
                    > UseProfileFolder=0.
                    > Then save, and start NoteTab. Now, it is told to NOT use the appdata
                    > location, and you can review it as needed.
                    Thanks for the clarification John. I guess that somewhat follows from
                    the rule "use %appdata% in preference to %progfiles%" though I had
                    forgotten, if I ever knew, about the "UseProfileFolder=" option.

                  • Vance E. Neff
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 11, 2010
                      Thomas,

                      Yes that was what had happened. I forgot that I installed version 5 first.

                      I thought I had to install the version that I had been sent when
                      purchased before installing any upgrades.

                      Vance