RE: [NTB] Windows 7 installation problems

  • veneff@intouchmi.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
      John,

      Thanks for your explanation. Going outside of the Program Files folder
      was going to be my next step if no other solution presented itself. I
      just ran into another program with similar problems so a separate Programs
      directory seems like the best step

      Vance

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
        You're welcome. I have many programs installed there - everything that was released before Vista, and some things that I
        just want better control of, such as NoteTab.

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2010
          Interviewed by CNN on 05/11/2010 13:35, John Shotsky told the world:
          > When Microsoft released Vista, and continuing with Windows 7, it created a policy that programs can no longer write to
          > files in the Program Files folders. It then dictated that those needed files should be located in C:\Users (and other
          > locations). However, older programs don't install that way, so they still install their folders in Program Files.
          > Microsoft created something called a Virtual Store which is a hidden area where files that must be written by programs
          > are copied to make them read/write. Unfortunately, Microsoft didn't make these older programs aware of the quickstep it
          > was doing on the older programs, and the result is problems like you describe.

          Not quite. The prohibition against writing in the Program Files folder
          is very old, dating to Windows NT 4 at least and probably even to NT
          3.11. However, the ingrained habit of running with full administrative
          privileges in home computers allowed people to ignore that. So lots of
          software (particularly ones written for Windows 9x originally) ran into
          trouble in corporate environments, where users run routinely in lower
          privilege levels. Even Microsoft is guilty of that: Office 2000 needed
          higher privileges on first run, which meant I had to temporarily give
          admin privileges to the user, run Office *once* and then lower the user
          privileges again.

          What changed in Vista is the way Administrator accounts behave -- that
          is, they no longer run with full administrative privilege all the time,
          but work at a lower privilege level and ask for "elevation" when needed.
          That's when you see the User Account Control pop-ups people love to
          complain against.

          Virtual Stores are intended to protect Windows from misbehaving software
          that insist in writing to the Program Files folder. The correct approach
          is to save settings in the Users (Documents & Settings in XP) folder
          tree. Recent versions of Notetab will do that by default, although they
          keep the older folders in Program Files for compatibility.

          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

          -=-=-
          ... ebius tagline. This is a moebius tagline. This is a mo ...
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2010
            In order to see the folder where NT stores its data, you have to make it visible:

            At the top left of the explorer window,
            click Organize --> Folder/Search options -->
            View Tab ==> "Advanced Settings"

            look for Hidden files and Folders, check "Show hidden ..." and click Apply.

            Among the many confusing folders you should have no trouble finding C:\users\(username)\AppData, which you can explore, or go straight to Roaming\NoteTab Pro|Light

            I suggest that you hide hidden folders again, when done.

            Cheers,

            Eb

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "veneffy" <veneff@...> wrote:
            > ... Windows 7 Pro.
            > I first installed Notetab Pro 5.7 ...

            > ... There is no <user>\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab folder.
          • Vance E. Neff
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2010
              Eb,

              Actually, that was one of the first things I did.

              I had no problem finding AppData\Roaming; but, for some reason there was
              no NoteTab subdirectory. There were a couple of other program's data
              directory.

              Vance

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2010
                Vance,

                Do you know where NoteTab THINKS it's storing its config and data?

                Here is a 2-clip utility to evaluate functions like
                "^$GetLibraryUserPath$" without writing a separate
                clip for each. Just copy the two clips to a test
                library, and run the Eval clip:

                ;----->8-----
                H="Eval Built-in Functions"
                ; long line
                ^!Set %fn%=^?{Enter Function name without special chars}; %args%=^?{Enter arguments to the functions - may contain special chars}
                ; end long line
                ^!IfEmpty ^%args% SKIP
                ^!Set %fn%=^%fn%(^%args%)
                ^!Set %eval%=^$Xlat(^%fn%)$
                ^!Info [L]^%eval%

                H="_Xlat"
                ;translate variable to working function
                ^!Result ^$^&$
                ;----->8-----

                To evaluate, for example, the above mentioned function,
                enter only its NAME into the wizard, NOT the caret and dollar signs.

                Knowing where NoteTab stores stuff may help you get it right.

                Eb

                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                  Eb,

                  Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
                  My original post actually indicated that NoteTab thinks it's Favorites
                  folder is at:
                  C:\Program Files(x86)\Notetab Pro 5\Favorites
                  But, when I created a new catagory, it did not go there. This is where
                  Windows decided to put the new file in the VirtualStore (with all the
                  ApplicationData/ echoes). I don't know why NoteTab chose it's program
                  directory for the various application folders. I had thought it would
                  know to as an user application directory in Windows 7 installations.
                  But, no matter, I reinstalled NoteTab outside of the program Files
                  directories.

                  Vance

                • Thomas Gruber
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                    Hi Vance,
                    the current version of NoteTab pro is 6.12 ! So if you installed NoteTab 5 as the folder name indicates, that version may well have been created before Windows 7 existed, so it didn't know about this problem yet. I'm sure NoteTab 6 installs correctly under Windows 7 and puts the user settings folders into the user's personal folders.
                    Kind regards
                    Thomas

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                      Hi Vance,
                      here is what I get as the result of "GetLibraryUserPath" with NoteTab pro 6.12 under Windows 7 after a standard installation, all default paths:

                      C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro\Libraries\

                      xxxxxxxx is the user name. This is a folder where the user has full access rights.

                    • Alec Burgess
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                        On 2010-11-10 10:59, Vance E. Neff wrote:
                        > Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
                        > My original post actually indicated that NoteTab thinks it's Favorites
                        > folder is at:
                        > C:\Program Files(x86)\Notetab Pro 5\Favorites
                        > But, when I created a new catagory, it did not go there. This is where
                        > Windows decided to put the new file in the VirtualStore (with all the
                        > ApplicationData/ echoes). I don't know why NoteTab chose it's program
                        > directory for the various application folders. I had thought it would
                        > know to as an user application directory in Windows 7 installations.
                        > But, no matter, I reinstalled NoteTab outside of the program Files
                        > directories.
                        Vance: Jumping in here, hopefully to clarify not further confuse :-)
                        I haven't currently got authoritative links to following in Notetab HELP
                        but believe its true, Read only if interested.

                        Key point is that when Notetab opens if it finds a Notepro.ini (for pro
                        version, otherwise Notetab.ini - Light or Std)
                        in the folder containing the Notepro.exe (or Notetab.exe) it will assume
                        all its sub-folders (for Favorites, Libraries etc.) are under the
                        %progfiles% location. eg. C:\ProgramFiles\Notetab Pro\ ... in Vista and
                        Win-7 this will create problems if you are using an account that does
                        NOT have write access. (eg. Changes to Options will not stick across
                        program restarts, nor will changes to Favorites nor will changes made to
                        clips or clipbars)

                        If there is NOT a notepro.ini in the %progfiles% folder it will attempt
                        to find one in the "normal" application data folder (%appdata%):
                        WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
                        Win-7: C:\Users\<user>\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                        If it does not find one in the %appdata% folder it will create one with
                        default values.

                        Hopefully this explains your comment: " I had thought it would know to
                        as an user application directory in Windows 7 installations". It
                        "knows" based on the existence/absence of a notepro.ini file in the same
                        folder as the notepro.exe

                        Based on your description of what's happening, both when you had Notetab
                        installed in C:\Program Files and when you installed it "outside of the
                        program Files directories." I think this is the situation you are in.

                        Now ... whenever you create NEW favorites categories (or modify existing
                        ones - or create new clip libraries or modify them by changing the clip
                        code in them) Notetab will write the new or changed files to the
                        %appdata% sub-folders. If the same file exists in both the %progfiles%
                        and %appdata% folders it will use the one in %appdata%. However, if
                        files (ie. clip libraries or favorite categories) exist in ONLY the
                        %progfiles% folder Notetab will use these (in read-only mode) unless you
                        add favorites to a category or modify a clip (in a clip library).
                        Essentially, for presentation to you in the program it transparently
                        merges the two possible data sources.

                        I'm guessing that you don't modify any clips so only the stuff about
                        Favorites above will apply to you?
                        I'm also guessing that the Favorites you copied over from your previous
                        installation on WinXP are the ones that are in %progfiles% while new
                        ones are going to %appdata%

                        In summary: if you want you *could* (while Notetab is not running and
                        after making backups!!) move your "old" Favorites files from the
                        %progfiles% location to the %appdata% location.

                        If I'm wrong and you *do* create/modify your own clips you should leave
                        the ones in %progfiles%\Library alone - these are standard and will get
                        updated automatically if Eric makes changes to any of them in a future
                        version. If you create a new clip library as per above it will
                        automatically go into the %appdata%/Libraries as soon as you save it the
                        first time.

                      • John Shotsky
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                          There is an exception to the rule that it will use a local notepro or notetab.ini if found in the .exe file. If you
                          create a brand new, empty one, that is true. But, if, after installation, and customizing NoteTab for your preferences,
                          you then copy the .ini file from the %appdata% location, hoping to preserve your preferences, you will be surprised to
                          learn that it continues to look in the %appdata% folders anyway.

                          To prevent this, you need to edit the notepro.ini or notetab.ini file in the Notetab.exe folder with a DIFFERENT text
                          editor, and change the line:
                          UseProfileFolder=1
                          UseProfileFolder=0.
                          Then save, and start NoteTab. Now, it is told to NOT use the appdata location, and you can review it as needed.

                          Just remember, NoteTab always writes its internal version of notepro.ini back out to notepro.ini upon closing. Thus, if
                          you edit notepro.ini WITH NoteTab, your edits will be overwritten upon close. There are ways around this, which I have
                          employed, since I often add variables to the .ini file using my clip libraries. Without going into a lot of detail, you
                          use the loadini and saveini commands, while changing variables to be saved in the interim. I have a set of clips that
                          adds new variables upon discovery that the newly loaded .ini file doesn't contain a new variable name. I save the
                          variable to memory, save that to the .ini file, saveini, loadini, and all is good. The next time NoteTab starts, it
                          contains that new variable name.

                          I encourage my users to install outside of Program Files, and to bring the .ini file local, so that Vista and Windows 7
                          don't get involved in their clip usage. I have spent hours with people with xp/vista/windows 7 trying to get them
                          successful, and the only thing that is consistently successful is the above.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 10, 2010
                            On 2010-11-10 12:29, John Shotsky wrote:
                            > There is an exception to the rule that it will use a local notepro or
                            > notetab.ini if found in the .exe file. If you
                            > create a brand new, empty one, that is true. But, if, after
                            > installation, and customizing NoteTab for your preferences,
                            > you then copy the .ini file from the %appdata% location, hoping to
                            > preserve your preferences, you will be surprised to
                            > learn that it continues to look in the %appdata% folders anyway.
                            >
                            > To prevent this, you need to edit the notepro.ini or notetab.ini file
                            > in the Notetab.exe folder with a DIFFERENT text
                            > editor, and change the line:
                            > UseProfileFolder=1
                            > UseProfileFolder=0.
                            > Then save, and start NoteTab. Now, it is told to NOT use the appdata
                            > location, and you can review it as needed.
                            Thanks for the clarification John. I guess that somewhat follows from
                            the rule "use %appdata% in preference to %progfiles%" though I had
                            forgotten, if I ever knew, about the "UseProfileFolder=" option.

                          • Vance E. Neff
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 11, 2010
                              Thomas,

                              Yes that was what had happened. I forgot that I installed version 5 first.

                              I thought I had to install the version that I had been sent when
                              purchased before installing any upgrades.

                              Vance