RE: [NTB] NoteTab and the Sticky "I"

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 22, 2010
      It works correctly in the current version.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 22, 2010
        Unless you use Regular Expressions and really want to avoid learning
        the (new) more powerful PCRE version, I'd suggest you
        get the latest version of NoteTab Light and see if the problem persists.

        I have one or two other thoughts, which are interspersed below.

        On 10/22/2010 12:07 PM, S or J wrote:
        > The sticky "I".
        >
        > When inserting line breaks and a break is needed in any sentence after
        > the word I in a text string like:
        > Sentence .... I word1 word2 word3....
        >
        > my first step is to remove the space after the I so we now have:
        > Sentence .... Iword1 word2 word3....
        > and now with the cursor after I press Enter.
        >
        > For the result we should expect to see:
        > Sentence .... I
        > word1 word2 word3....
        I don't understand why you wouldn't expect to see either
        Sentence .... Iword1
        word2 word3....
        or
        Sentence ....
        Iword1 word2 word3....

        > But NoteTab makes it into
        > Sentence .... Iwo
        > rd1 word2 word3....
        This is indeed mysterious! Does your NoteTab have a spell-checker that
        somehow gets involved in the definition "words" and regards Iwo (or
        whatever the actual Ixxx might be) as a word? I know..., that's a
        stretch!

        Are you using a clip and/or RegExp in doing the editing?
      • S or J
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 23, 2010
          John Shotsky wrote:
          > It works correctly in the current version.

          John, thanks for that info.

          Don Daugherty wrote:
          > This is indeed mysterious! Does your NoteTab
          have a spell-checker that somehow gets involved
          in the definition "words" and regards Iwo (or
          whatever the actual Ixxx might be) as a word? I know...,
          that's a stretch!
          Are you using a clip and/or RegExp in doing the editing? <

          Don, no there is no spellchecker involved nor any clip. This problem
          occurs in just the regular NoteTab Light 4.95 totally unmodified.

          >Unless you use Regular Expressions and really want
          to avoid learning the (new) more powerful PCRE version,
          I'd suggest you get the latest version of NoteTab Light
          and see if the problem persists. <

          Until now I have not updated the program because (with the exception
          of this bug) it works well. But I think I will move to the Pro version
          to use colours to assist my HTML editing and have a spell checker, as
          well as eliminate this sticky "I" behaviour. And I'll download and
          test drive it first.

          Thanks folks. This is a great community.

          Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario
        • loro
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 23, 2010
            Steve wrote:
            >Until now I have not updated the program because (with the exception
            >of this bug) it works well. But I think I will move to the Pro version
            >to use colours to assist my HTML editing and have a spell checker, as
            >well as eliminate this sticky "I" behaviour. And I'll download and
            >test drive it first.

            While I think that's a great idea, I don't think any version of
            Notetab has had a bug like the one you describe. We sure would have
            heard about it here. There must be something fishy going on.

            Du you have a clipbook open? Does it use autoreplace? Or have you
            accidently turned on Auto-replace Mode (fourth item on the tools
            menu)? Check that and then close the clipbook window (F4) and see if
            the problem goes away or not.

            Lotta
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 24, 2010
              Steve,

              Just checked your problem out in NTB 4.95/full and I get the expected
              behavior.

              Your description implies that the cursor is off by two positions. I assume
              that you are being careful how you place your cursor but are you using a
              non-standard cursor? What happens if you place the cursor after the "n" in
              "longword", for example, and press enter?

              It sounds like you are manually editing each line and want to avoid
              trailing spaces. If so, I suggest do your editing without regard to
              trailing spaces and, when done, select the entire document and use the Menu
              command "Modify | Lines | Trim Blanks" to remove all trailing blanks in the
              doc at once.

              Better yet would be to automate the process using a clip with RegEx.
              One click and your entire document would be processed. (Unless you really
              like manual editing of course! <g>) If you need help with the clip post a
              request in the NTB Clip forum.

              You mentioned in a later post that you wanted color highlighting for HTML.
              Although NTB is a good text editor and the clips are powerful it is not the
              best HTML editor. I suggest you look at PSPad (http://www.pspad.com/en/) or
              Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/). Both are specifically designed
              to be HTML editors. They are freeware, and feature not only syntax
              highlighting and spell checking but a multitude of HTML code editing tools
              to make programming much easier. If you are willing to spend a little $$
              then try Ultra edit (http://www.ultraedit.com/).

              Good luck. HTH

              Namaste', Art

              At 23-10-2010 10:48, you wrote:
              > >> But NoteTab makes it into
              > >> Sentence .... Iwo
              > >> rd1 word2 word3....
              >Don, no there is no spellchecker involved nor any clip. This problem
              >occurs in just the regular NoteTab Light 4.95 totally unmodified.
              >
              > >Unless you use Regular Expressions and really want
              >to avoid learning the (new) more powerful PCRE version,
              >I'd suggest you get the latest version of NoteTab Light
              >and see if the problem persists. <
              >
              >Until now I have not updated the program because (with the exception
              >of this bug) it works well. But I think I will move to the Pro version
              >to use colours to assist my HTML editing and have a spell checker, as
              >well as eliminate this sticky "I" behaviour. And I'll download and
              >test drive it first.
            • S or J
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 24, 2010

                Lotta wrote:
                > While I think that's a great idea, I don't think any version of
                Notetab has had a bug like the one you describe. We sure would have
                heard about it here. There must be something fishy going on.
                Du you have a clipbook open? Does it use autoreplace? Or have you
                accidently turned on Auto-replace Mode (fourth item on the tools
                menu)? Check that and then close the clipbook window (F4) and see if
                the problem goes away or not. <

                Hi Lotta,
                You are correct on both suggestions. The bad behaviour disappears when
                Auto-replace is turned off, and also disappears with Auto-replace on
                (or off) with the clipbook window closed. I have no idea what the
                program thought it was auto-correcting, and thankfully I don't need
                that function.

                Hi Art,
                Your program and programming suggestions are well thought out and I
                will consider all of them carefully.

                Yes I do trim all line trailing spaces and mostly do it after
                finishing the editing with a simple select-all command and a replace
                function.

                The manual editing of each line certainly could be automated but takes
                little or no extra time as I am vetting the text for spelling and
                grammar or technical contractions that might need minor editing to
                preserve the writers' intended technical meaning. Many of my machinist
                readers are from overseas with English not their first language, so
                some slang or writing slips (whose correct meaning would be obvious to
                native English speakers) could cause misinterpretations.

                Thank you all for taking the time to help.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 24, 2010
                  Steve, wrote:
                  >You are correct on both suggestions. The bad behaviour disappears when
                  >Auto-replace is turned off, and also disappears with Auto-replace on
                  >(or off) with the clipbook window closed. I have no idea what the
                  >program thought it was auto-correcting, and thankfully I don't need
                  >that function.

                  OK. Then in that library that you had opened you have clip titled "I"
                  and in that clip is the explanation. ENTER is one of the triggers for
                  auto-replace. When you hit enter just after the letter "I" Notetab
                  runs the "I" clip. If auto-replace mode is on, that is.

                  Lotta