Re: [NTB] Re: Proper text coding for using in Excel to prevent the HTMLcode fr

  • Get Sprays
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
      Hello Pete,

      thanks for the reply.

      i do not have to use NT but it would be helpful.

      what i am trying to do is copy HTML code from my source and paste into one
      Excel cell (one line with no wrapping or execution of the code). MS Word
      allows me to do this for some reason. I have tried several formats within NT
      with no success yet.

      I know that i have to remove the new paragraphs (^p) even in MS Word or not.

      does that make sense now?

      thnaks,
      billy

      On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Pete Hoyle <pete.hoyle@...> wrote:

      > I probably haven't been paying quite enough attention, but I can't make out
      > what you are trying to do. I think you say you have an excel file. You have
      > some other file as well? You are trying to do something with some html; I
      > presume this is in a text file? You are trying to copy the html from
      > someplace and paste it into a cell of the excel file? (If I have that
      > wrong,
      > stop me here.) If you do paste it that way, do you want it to display in
      > Excel as the html codes, or do you want it to show up as the html
      > specifies,
      > e.g. as bold, italic, etc.?
      >
      > In any case, where does NoteTab come in? Is it where you are getting or
      > creating the html and then copying it?
      >
      > It would really help if you would start from the beginning and say what
      > kinds of files you have, and what you are doing with each of them, step by
      > step, and definitely tell us what you are trying to accomplish. I think
      > that
      > you have probably given all this information at one time or another, but I
      > haven't been able to put it together to get a single picture of what you
      > are
      > trying to do. I can't actually tell how much of the question is about
      > NoteTab and how much is about Excel.
      >
      > Thanks....
      >
      > --
      > Pete Hoyle
      > (Via GMail; Alt: hoylesp@... <hoylesp%40acm.org>)

      Get Sprays - William
      getsprays.wtj@...
      Georgia, USA

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
        If the line wraps in Excel, you have it set in Excel to do so. I don't know what you mean by
        executing. I have no problem pasting HTML into Excel 2007. Each row pastes into a separate row, and
        it stays within one cell on that row. It obeys tabs, though, so it might not always show up in
        column 1.

        Paste a few lines of YOUR problematic html into THIS email message so we can see what you're trying
        to paste.

        Regards,
        John

        i do not have to use NT but it would be helpful.

        what i am trying to do is copy HTML code from my source and paste into one
        Excel cell (one line with no wrapping or execution of the code). MS Word
        allows me to do this for some reason. I have tried several formats within NT
        with no success yet.

        I know that i have to remove the new paragraphs (^p) even in MS Word or not.

        does that make sense now?

        thnaks,
        billy

        On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Pete Hoyle <pete.hoyle@...> wrote:

        > I probably haven't been paying quite enough attention, but I can't make out
        > what you are trying to do. I think you say you have an excel file. You have
        > some other file as well? You are trying to do something with some html; I
        > presume this is in a text file? You are trying to copy the html from
        > someplace and paste it into a cell of the excel file? (If I have that
        > wrong,
        > stop me here.) If you do paste it that way, do you want it to display in
        > Excel as the html codes, or do you want it to show up as the html
        > specifies,
        > e.g. as bold, italic, etc.?
        >
        > In any case, where does NoteTab come in? Is it where you are getting or
        > creating the html and then copying it?
        >
        > It would really help if you would start from the beginning and say what
        > kinds of files you have, and what you are doing with each of them, step by
        > step, and definitely tell us what you are trying to accomplish. I think
        > that
        > you have probably given all this information at one time or another, but I
        > haven't been able to put it together to get a single picture of what you
        > are
        > trying to do. I can't actually tell how much of the question is about
        > NoteTab and how much is about Excel.
        >
        > Thanks....
        >
        > --
        > Pete Hoyle
        > (Via GMail; Alt: hoylesp@... <hoylesp%40acm.org>)

        Get Sprays - William
        getsprays.wtj@...
        Georgia, USA

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
          Hi
          not sure what you doing either only got office 2003 ,I tried pasting from
          notepad
          into excel cells and the bold bit did not bold in excel ??
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > i do not have to use NT but it would be helpful.
          >
          > what i am trying to do is copy HTML code from my source and paste into one
          > Excel cell (one line with no wrapping or execution of the code). MS Word
          > allows me to do this for some reason. I have tried several formats within
          > NT
          > with no success yet.
          >
          > I know that i have to remove the new paragraphs (^p) even in MS Word or
          > not.
          >
          > does that make sense now?
          >
          > thnaks,
          > billy
          >

          > On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Pete Hoyle <pete.hoyle@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I probably haven't been paying quite enough attention, but I can't make
          >> out
          >> what you are trying to do. I think you say you have an excel file. You
          >> have
          >> some other file as well? You are trying to do something with some html; I
          >> presume this is in a text file? You are trying to copy the html from
          >> someplace and paste it into a cell of the excel file? (If I have that
          >> wrong,
          >> stop me here.) If you do paste it that way, do you want it to display in
          >> Excel as the html codes, or do you want it to show up as the html
          >> specifies,
          >> e.g. as bold, italic, etc.?
          >>
          >> In any case, where does NoteTab come in? Is it where you are getting or
          >> creating the html and then copying it?
          >>
          >> It would really help if you would start from the beginning and say what
          >> kinds of files you have, and what you are doing with each of them, step
          >> by
          >> step, and definitely tell us what you are trying to accomplish. I think
          >> that
          >> you have probably given all this information at one time or another, but
          >> haven't been able to put it together to get a single picture of what you
          >> are
          >> trying to do. I can't actually tell how much of the question is about
          >> NoteTab and how much is about Excel.
          >>
          >> Thanks....
          >>
          >> --
          >> Pete Hoyle
          >> (Via GMail; Alt: hoylesp@... <hoylesp%40acm.org>)

          > --
          > Get Sprays - William
          > getsprays.wtj@...
          > Georgia, USA

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 10, 2010
            On 9/10/2010 8:50 AM, Get Sprays wrote:
            > Hello Pete,
            >
            > thanks for the reply.
            >
            > i do not have to use NT but it would be helpful.
            >
            > what i am trying to do is copy HTML code from my source and paste into one
            > Excel cell (one line with no wrapping or execution of the code). MS Word
            > allows me to do this for some reason. I have tried several formats within NT
            > with no success yet.
            >
            > I know that i have to remove the new paragraphs (^p) even in MS Word or not.
            >
            > does that make sense now?

            No experience with Excel 2010, but if you want everything in one cell as
            text, I would think you would need to be editing the one cell in Excel
            (F2), press the apostrophe (') to indicate you are entering text, and
            then paste (Ctrl-V). If that doesn't work, you might want to look at the
            Paste Special options (to Paste as Text).

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • Get Sprays
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 16, 2010
              the files from NT are the only ones doing this.

              by execute i mean when i paste teh html code i get the full display of teh
              code as if on a web page, etc.

              thanks,
              billy

              On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

              > If the line wraps in Excel, you have it set in Excel to do so. I don't know
              > what you mean by
              > executing. I have no problem pasting HTML into Excel 2007. Each row pastes
              > into a separate row, and
              > it stays within one cell on that row. It obeys tabs, though, so it might
              > not always show up in
              > column 1.
              >
              > Paste a few lines of YOUR problematic html into THIS email message so we
              > can see what you're trying
              > to paste.
              >
              > Regards,
              > John