carbonite will not back up files with ~ character but I want incremental backups

  • alltimefav3000
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2010
      how to change the backup for

      filename.txt

      filename.001.txt
      filename.002.txt
      filename.003.txt

      so that there is no ~ character or []
    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2010
        On 9/8/2010 12:23 PM, alltimefav3000 wrote:
        > how to change the backup for
        >
        > filename.txt

        > filename.001.txt
        > filename.002.txt
        > filename.003.txt
        >
        > so that there is no ~ character or []

        In what context/situation are you getting filenames involving "~" and/or "[]"?
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2010
          Looks like it's hard coded:
          NTB 4.95: filename.~001
          NTB 5.80: ~filename[001].txt
          NTB 6.12: ~filename[001].txt

          I hadn't noticed the change as I always just use the *.bak mode.
          I can understand the change from *.bak to *[nnn].* as it preserves
          the original file extension and avoids conflicts but to also add a
          leading "~" seems irresponsible as it separates all of the backup
          names from the original name and adds an unnecessary char to
          the filename. Backup naming needs to be rethought and/or we
          need more control of the behavior.

          Namaste', Art