Re: [NTB] Proper text coding for using in Excel to prevent the HTML code from displaying?

  • mr_piano23
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
      Hi,

      If you are using the latest version of Office (2007), it is probably saving and pasting in XML format (not xls format). Make sure you save your spreadsheet (and set the default save format) for office 2003.

      Microsoft now saves in XML as the default (which you can open with notepad because it is just a text file) so that all their programs can open the same files and share "data" among each other easier.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Get Sprays wrote:
      > >why is it then tha IF i drag the text file through MS Word it always inserts
      > >into Excel correctly but if it is coied from NT the sucess varies.
      > >
      > >someone pls. explain this to me.
      >
      > I'm lost around Office programs but my highly unqualified guess is
      > that you need to change the character encoding in Excel, probably
      > from Unicode to ANSI or equivalent.
      >
      > Lotta

    • Get Sprays
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
        thanks for your help.

        no it MS Office professional 2010. also, its not XML as i can recognize
        that format. what's strange is that if i paste into MS Word and then save
        as text and then paste into Excel it works. but once it lands in NT Pro 6
        it often will not paste or isnert into Excel anymore.

        thanks,
        billy

        --
        Get Sprays - William
        getsprays.wtj@...

      • Eb
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2010
          This is beginnig to sound like some control characters like form feed, or nulls from Unicode, are being converted or erased by Word, but not by NoteTab. Try toggling "preserve Unicode" in NoteTab options.

          Anyway, why not post some of the offending html text, so we can try to duplicate your problem. Make sure it is a sample that you have experienced the problem with, straight from notetab.

          I routinely paste columns of numbers and text from NTP 6.2 to Excel without problems.

          Eb

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Get Sprays <getsprays.wtj@...> wrote:

          > thanks for your help.
          >
          > no it MS Office professional 2010. also, its not XML as i can recognize
          > that format. what's strange is that if i paste into MS Word and then save
          > as text and then paste into Excel it works. but once it lands in NT Pro 6
          > it often will not paste or isnert into Excel anymore.
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2010
            As I mentioned earlier, you can eliminate that possibility by copying the text from one doc and
            pasting to a new one, then saving it, with the default save as Dos/Windows. I have had to do that on
            many occasions. If it works, you know that is what the problem was. It is a VERY simple
            troubleshooting step, and can also just let you get on with your chore.

            Regards,
            John

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com> , Get Sprays <getsprays.wtj@...>

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
              Please find several files for review. thanks for the help.

              later,
              billy

              On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

              > As I mentioned earlier, you can eliminate that possibility by copying the
              > text from one doc and
              > pasting to a new one, then saving it, with the default save as Dos/Windows.
              > I have had to do that on
              > many occasions. If it works, you know that is what the problem was. It is a
              > VERY simple
              > troubleshooting step, and can also just let you get on with your chore.
              >
              > Regards,
              > John

              ----------

              ----------

            • Get Sprays
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                i attached files to previous email but i do not know if that is allowed in
                forum. pls. let me know if you get them.

              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                  Hi Get,

                  On 06 Sep 10 12:06 Get Sprays <getsprays.wtj@...> said:
                  > i attached files to previous email but i do not know if that is
                  > allowed in forum. pls. let me know if you get them.

                  No attachments are allowed on this list - not even additional HTML
                  parts! Hence this appended to your text:

                  (If you're seeing HTML from the list it's because you have not changed
                  the default setting that allows Yahoo to to change it back to HTML so
                  they can send you lots of graphic ridden adverts!)

                  Greg
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2010
                    Hi Get,

                    On 06 Sep 10 16:59 Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> said:
                    > No attachments are allowed on this lis

                    I meant to add...

                    You need to upload files that demonstrate your issue at:

                    Greg
                  • Get Sprays
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 7, 2010
                      wha tis teh best way to pass code back to someone as someone asked me to
                      post the code for review.

                      thanks,
                      billy

                      --
                      Get Sprays - William
                      getsprays.wtj@...

                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2010
                        Did you TRY what I said?

                        Regards,
                        John

                        Please find several files for review. thanks for the help.

                        later,
                        billy

                        On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 7:16 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

                        > As I mentioned earlier, you can eliminate that possibility by copying the
                        > text from one doc and
                        > pasting to a new one, then saving it, with the default save as Dos/Windows.
                        > I have had to do that on
                        > many occasions. If it works, you know that is what the problem was. It is a
                        > VERY simple
                        > troubleshooting step, and can also just let you get on with your chore.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > John

                        size="3"><font style="color: rgb(153, 51, 0);" size="4">MAX Professional™ 1113 Blow Off™ General
                        Purpose Air Duster Cleaner, BO-111-113 (8 oz)</font></font><font style="font-family: trebuchet
                        ms,sans-serif; font-style: italic;" size="3"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><font style="color:
                        style="font-weight: bold;">Blow Off™ General Purpose Air Duster, Flammable 8 oz</span></font> <span
                        style="font-family: trebuchet ms,sans-serif;">removes dust, dirt and microscopic debris from hard to
                        reach areas of home and office equipment. It's ozone safe.</span><br><span style="font-family:
                        style="font-weight: bold;">Recommended For:</span> Computers </span><span style="font-family:
                        trebuchet ms,sans-serif;">• </span><span style="font-family: trebuchet ms,sans-serif;">Keyboards •
                        Sewing Machines • Photo Equipment • Cash Registers • Printers • Fax Machines • Copiers • Telephones
                        • Lab Equipment • TVs • VCR • Typewriters • Vacuums • Scanners • Stereos • Watches • Clocks •
                        Mailing Machines • Fans • Audio Equipment • Electric Razors • Sports Equipment • Musical Instruments
                        style="font-family: trebuchet ms,sans-serif;"><font style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102);" size="2">UPC:
                        0, 0); font-style: italic;">Restrictions On VOC Compounds Shipping Into The State Of
                        size="2" face="Trebuchet MS">This spray product contains VOC compounds and meets the State of
                        California Standards (Prop65) and therefore cannot be shipped into the State of
                        interested, please contact MAX-Tech-Sprays™ via email for more details on the shipping of this
                        ----------

                        <!DOCTYPE html MAX-Tech-Sprays™ ©2010 "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
                        ms,sans-serif; font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;" size="3"><font style="color: rgb(153, 51,
                        0);" size="4">MAX-Professional™ 1113 Blow Off™ General Purpose Air Duster Cleaner, BO-111-113 (8
                        oz)</font></font><font style="font-family: trebuchet ms,sans-serif; font-style: italic;"
                        size="3"><span style="font-weight: bold;"><font style="color: rgb(153, 51, 0);"
                        style="font-family: trebuchet ms,sans-serif; font-style: italic;" size="3"><span style="font-weight:
                        bold;">Blow Off™ General Purpose Air Duster, Flammable 8 oz</span></font> <span
                        style="font-family: trebuchet ms,sans-serif;">removes dust, dirt and microscopic debris from hard to
                        trebuchet ms,sans-serif;">Keyboards • Sewing Machines • Photo Equipment • Cash
                        Registers • Printers • Fax Machines • Copiers • Telephones • Lab Equipment
                        • TVs • VCR • Typewriters • Vacuums • Scanners • Stereos •
                        Watches • Clocks • Mailing Machines • Fans • Audio Equipment • Electric
                        Razors • Sports Equipment • Musical Instruments • Guns • Desk
                        102);" size="2"><span style="font-family: trebuchet
                        ms,sans-serif;"><font style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102);" size="2">UPC: 752080111113<br>Pkg: 8 oz
                        MS"><strong><span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0); font-style: italic;">Restrictions On VOC Compounds
                        font-weight: bold;"><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS"><b>This spray product contains VOC compounds
                        and meets the State of California Standards (Prop65) and therefore cannot be shipped into the State
                        you are interested, please contact MAX-Tech-Sprays™ via email for more details on the shipping

                      • Get Sprays
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                          I have not been able to determine what format within NT to use so it will
                          directly paste into one line in an Excel call. With Word I do not have to
                          even save the file. i drop it in Word and ^C and then ^V into an Excel cell
                          and it works.

                          have you been able to repeat what i am seeing?

                          how can i get attached files to you? the forum will not allow me to do so.

                          sorry but what steps did you ask me to try? I think i did try them.

                          thanks,
                          billy

                          On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:21 AM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

                          > Did you TRY what I said?
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > John

                          Get Sprays - William
                          getsprays.wtj@...
                          Georgia, USA

                        • Get Sprays
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                            Hello John,

                            I just tried the test again and it also displays the HTML code. What i need
                            is teh code to stay on one line and not to execute.

                            to be sure i did what you ask: i saved the HTML code within NT as ascii/DOS
                            text. that was the closest format to DOS/Windows I saw in the Save As
                            option.

                            what do you think/

                            Get Sprays - William
                            getsprays.wtj@...