Easiest way to remove NL/CR or ^p from HTML code for use in Excel?

  • Wiiliam
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26 6:15 AM
      Hello All,

      What is the easiest way to remove NL/CR or ^p from HTML code for use in Excel? I am presently using Word with 'Find/Replace' using ^p as the search key and it works but is real slow and I have many to do! Help!

      My goal is to take my existing running HTML code and insert it into a specific Excel cell field for use in importing flat files (CSV data) into an on-line selling platform. I have Dreamweaver, NoteTab Pro (latest version) + Tidy HTML Code, Excel 2010 + MS Office Suite (Access) and will get what ever would help stream-line this process. I would like to archive the new HTML code in the flat files and in Dreamweaver.

      it would be a severely great if I could automate this process but a few steps is cool.

      Suggestions please.

      Sincere thanks,
      William
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26 1:35 PM
        \R is the generic form of any of the three combinations of CR's and LF's. So if you replace \R with
        nothing, they will all be gone. If you have actual ^p's in the code, you'd need to find \^p
        <file:///\\p> case insensitive and replace with nothing.

        A clip to do both would look like:
        ^!Replace "(\^p|\R)" >> "" AIRSTW

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 26 3:54 PM
          thanks. how do i run this clip? i copied the code you listed and saved in
          a new clip, correct? then how do i run teh clip over teh html code of
          concern?

          i am new to this sort of thing.

          thnaks,
          billy

          On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM, John Shotsky <jshotsky@...> wrote:

          > \R is the generic form of any of the three combinations of CR's and LF's.
          > So if you replace \R with
          > nothing, they will all be gone. If you have actual ^p's in the code, you'd
          > need to find \^p
          > <file:///\\p> case insensitive and replace with nothing.
          >
          > A clip to do both would look like:
          > ^!Replace "(\^p|\R)" >> "" AIRSTW
          >
          > Regards,
          > John

          Get Sprays - William
          getsprays.wtj@...
          Georgia, USA

        • loro
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27 10:56 AM
            At 15:15 2010-08-26, Wiiliam wrote:
            >What is the easiest way to remove NL/CR or ^p from HTML code for use
            >in Excel? I am presently using Word with 'Find/Replace' using ^p as
            >the search key and it works but is real slow and I have many to do! Help!

            You can do it with a few menu commands, how many depends on how picky
            you are, if you want to get rid of whitespace. Take a look at Modify
            | Lines | Join Lines .

            You should do the below first. If you have blank lines, you will end
            up with several paragraphs when you use Join Lines, so they have to go..

            To get rid of blank lines: select all and then Modify | Lines |
            Compress. Repeat until there are no blank lines left.

            If you want to get rid of unnecessary whitespace, you can remove
            indents if your markup is prettified: select all then Modify | Spaces
            | Tabs to spaces . Follow up with Modify | Lines | Unindent . Repeat
            the last manoeuvre until all indentions are gone.

            Maybe you also need Modify | Lines | Trim Blanks, that removes
            trailing spaces.

            There may already be toolbar buttons for some of these commands, or
            you can make them appear, at least most of them.

            Instead of Join Lines you can do what you did in Word. Search for ^P
            and replace all. It won't be slow in Notetab.

            Lotta