Re: [NTB] Text file encoding

  • Don
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
      I no longer have a copy of light running but in pro it is here:
      view > options > document and at the bottom of that dialog is Format >
      Save As drop down.

      On 7/27/2010 8:20 AM, Chris McLean wrote:
      > I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?

    • Eb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
        Same in Light,

        plus, you can always specify the format for an individual document, by using Save AS in the filemenu or the in-context menu, Save AS.

        Cheers,

        Eb

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

        > I no longer have a copy of light running but in pro it is here:
        > view > options > document and at the bottom of that dialog is Format >
        > Save As drop down.
        >
        > On 7/27/2010 8:20 AM, Chris McLean wrote:
        > > I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?

      • loro
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
          Don wrote:
          >I no longer have a copy of light running but in pro it is here:
          >view > options > document and at the bottom of that dialog is Format >
          >Save As drop down.

          That's just the line endings. Nothing about Unicode there.

          Notetab doesn't support Unicode in the usual sense. There is a bag of
          tricks it can do though. I'm ashamed to admit it, bur I haven't
          looked into the "new" Unicode features, but if nothing revolutionary
          has happened you cannot write other than ASCI characters in Notetab
          and pass them off as Unicode.

          Lotta
        • Don Daugherty
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
            On 7/27/2010 7:20 AM, Chris McLean wrote:
            > I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?
            I seem to remember that Eric is working on a Unicode editor. In the
            meantime, maybe you could write a NoteTab Clip that you could invoke,
            while editing in NoteTab, that will copy the entire body of text, open
            Notepad, and through ^!Keyboard commands paste in the copied text, save
            as Unicode, and then jump back to NoteTab for possible further editing.