Text file encoding

  • Chris McLean
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
      I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?

    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
        I no longer have a copy of light running but in pro it is here:
        view > options > document and at the bottom of that dialog is Format >
        Save As drop down.

        On 7/27/2010 8:20 AM, Chris McLean wrote:
        > I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?

      • Eb
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
          Same in Light,

          plus, you can always specify the format for an individual document, by using Save AS in the filemenu or the in-context menu, Save AS.

          Cheers,

          Eb

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don <don@...> wrote:

          > I no longer have a copy of light running but in pro it is here:
          > view > options > document and at the bottom of that dialog is Format >
          > Save As drop down.
          >
          > On 7/27/2010 8:20 AM, Chris McLean wrote:
          > > I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?

        • loro
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
            Don wrote:
            >I no longer have a copy of light running but in pro it is here:
            >view > options > document and at the bottom of that dialog is Format >
            >Save As drop down.

            That's just the line endings. Nothing about Unicode there.

            Notetab doesn't support Unicode in the usual sense. There is a bag of
            tricks it can do though. I'm ashamed to admit it, bur I haven't
            looked into the "new" Unicode features, but if nothing revolutionary
            has happened you cannot write other than ASCI characters in Notetab
            and pass them off as Unicode.

            Lotta
          • Don Daugherty
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 28, 2010
              On 7/27/2010 7:20 AM, Chris McLean wrote:
              > I view text files on a Cowon J3 digital media player, and possibly because it is Korean made and designed originally for Korean characters, ANSI text files do not display correctly (some basic characters such as ' " - _ are entirely missing.) However, text files saved in Unicode display correctly. I cannot see anywhere in Notetab lite where I can choose whether to save files in ANSI or Unicode format. At the moment I am editing files in Notetab, then opening them and saving them with the desired encoding in Notepad. Can anyone tell me how to select the desired encoding type in Notetab Lite?
              I seem to remember that Eric is working on a Unicode editor. In the
              meantime, maybe you could write a NoteTab Clip that you could invoke,
              while editing in NoteTab, that will copy the entire body of text, open
              Notepad, and through ^!Keyboard commands paste in the copied text, save
              as Unicode, and then jump back to NoteTab for possible further editing.