RE: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename]. Reload it?

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
      Having been a software product manager in my past, I can tell you that most user 'problems' and the
      solutions for those problems go into a database. Support's job is to answer as quickly and as
      accurately as possible. If a problem is already documented, the speed with which it is answered is
      unrelated to a company's intent to help. If you don't LIKE the offered solution, ask to speak to
      someone higher up the food chain. I talked to many customers that didn't like their first
      'solution'. Just part of the job. I would not have been happy, however, if someone didn't like the
      offered solution, and then went about discussing the company in a negative way in some public group.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
        debbie_packer wrote:
        > In my defense, this is the first response I received:

        Since this isn't a trial, there's not need to mount a defense :)

        > --- You can turn the feature off if it isn't compatible with your
        > setup. To do so, open the NoteTab Options dialog box, go to the
        > General tab, and uncheck the "Check Changes on Activate" setting. ---
        >

        > It did not say that they did not know what was happening, just to
        > turn it off. So, in reality, it's not the same response either
        > way...but thanks. :)

        The point remains. If they had sent that immediately, or sent it after
        waiting 15 minutes from determining the issue, it's the same answer
        either way. The only difference is that you're more willing to accept
        it if it were the latter.

        From Eric's message I understand that fast response time is important
        to him and his company, but look at it from another point of view.
        Doing it your way (which makes you feel better about the response
        itself, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, btw, I'm not
        discounting that). It opens them up to someone else charging that they
        don't care because it took a while to receive an answer and that they
        don't understand that issues are important to users.

        B/
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
          Hi Debbie,

          When you wrote about the issue of the modified files notifications
          popping up all the time, it was not clear to me that the feature was
          important to you and that you wanted to keep using it. I had understood
          that you were simply looking for a way to stop those notifications from
          appearing. It was not my intention to brush you off. I really thought my
          suggestion answered your support request.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

          On 20/07/2010 18:11, debbie_packer wrote:

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes<egroups@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi Debbie,
          >>
          >> I'm sorry you were disappointed by the fast response and the suggested
          >> workaround. We don't know why your server is causing a file date stamp
          >> mismatch, but we know the issue is external to NoteTab. Unfortunately,
          >> we are not able to help you change your server configuration in order to
          >> fix the issue. If we knew of such a fix, we would have told you.
          >>
          >> --
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> Eric Fookes
          >> http://www.fookes.com/
          >
          > Thank you for your response here. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was just annoyed by an initial response to just turn off the feature if it's not working. I don't really consider that a work-around because turning it off is not going to help the feature work. Right?
          >
          > I will be interested to visit this forum again when others upgrade to the new version of Samba to see if they have the same problem (if that's what the problem really is). But at least there's already a thread here to tell them that it's their problem to figure out.
          >
          > Thanks again.
        • debbie_packer
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
            Thanks, Eric.

            You are correct that I did not make it clear that the feature was important to me. I thought that was implied and that I supplied plenty of information. I am starting to regret that I ever wrote to ask your support people for help or that I posted a message here. While several people here were very nice and offered helpful suggestions, others here apparently think I'm horrible for having an opinion and feel that they need to tell me how to think.

            John - I DID ask again for further assistance. And, I don't see how telling the others that were helping me what I did is discussing the company in a negative way. If you actually read my response from earlier, you would have noticed that the first thing I said was that I do not blame Fookes for the issue, but that I was disappointed that no one there wanted to try to help. There's nothing wrong with saying that and you have no reason to attack me for that.

            The only reason I wrote on the forum that I had contacted Fookes is because one of the early responses from someone trying to help suggested that I contact them and report the problem. I started here so as not to bother them because I thought maybe someone else might have experienced the same problem. It turns out that I was correct, but they had not found a solution either. I posted that I had contacted them since it had been suggested to me. I posted that I was not satisfied with my response because I was not satisfied with my response. Is there anything wrong with that? I didn't say anything bad about Fookes other than that they didn't really help me. That part is true. They did respond quickly, but they didn't help. They told me to turn off the feature. I told them that I wanted to be able to use the feature, and they told me that they could not help. Apparently saying that here is taboo though. I'm not wrong in saying that other software developers offer to help in situations like this, even if it may not be a problem with their software. I know because I've experienced it. Some of you people need to chill though. I was just asking for help and posted that I didn't really get any help. I was not trying to attack anyone, but some of you don't mind attacking me. So, sorry I asked. I've gone from being a 10-year happy customer to thinking about just deleting my software and hoping I never hear about it again.

            Thanks Jeff, Don, and Eb for your helpful suggestions from earlier! Your help is most appreciated.

            Debbie

            > Hi Debbie,
            >
            > When you wrote about the issue of the modified files notifications
            > popping up all the time, it was not clear to me that the feature was
            > important to you and that you wanted to keep using it. I had understood
            > that you were simply looking for a way to stop those notifications from
            > appearing. It was not my intention to brush you off. I really thought my
            > suggestion answered your support request.
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Eric Fookes
            > http://www.fookes.com/
            >
            > On 20/07/2010 18:11, debbie_packer wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes<egroups@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Hi Debbie,
            > >>
            > >> I'm sorry you were disappointed by the fast response and the suggested
            > >> workaround. We don't know why your server is causing a file date stamp
            > >> mismatch, but we know the issue is external to NoteTab. Unfortunately,
            > >> we are not able to help you change your server configuration in order to
            > >> fix the issue. If we knew of such a fix, we would have told you.
            > >>
            > >> --
            > >> Regards,
            > >>
            > >> Eric Fookes
            > >> http://www.fookes.com/
            > >
            > > Thank you for your response here. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was just annoyed by an initial response to just turn off the feature if it's not working. I don't really consider that a work-around because turning it off is not going to help the feature work. Right?
            > >
            > > I will be interested to visit this forum again when others upgrade to the new version of Samba to see if they have the same problem (if that's what the problem really is). But at least there's already a thread here to tell them that it's their problem to figure out.
            > >
            > > Thanks again.

          • Jeff Seager
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 21, 2010
              Hi again Debbie,

              Of all the things that have been covered here, the one thing that troubles me most is hearing that you might just uninstall NoteTab. It only troubles me because I've used a lot of different software from big corporations and small ones since (omg) 1982, and this is without any reservation one of the best programs I have EVER used. It's useful to me in very many ways, especially when I roll up my sleeves and develop clips or refine and customize clips that others have developed. NoteTab has saved me huge amounts of work over the years.

              Just keep this in mind: Very many network administrators have an innate tendency to slough off a lot of work by acting as if a problem couldn't possibly have been caused by anything THEY did, even if everything points to that. I've seen it for most of my adult life. Not saying anything bad about the people you work with, but it happens. Seems sometimes as if we play a support role to them, instead of the other way around as it should be. So it's natural not to want to trouble those people, even if they are the most logical source of the problem. I can't blame you a bit for looking here first.

              I'm still not clear on how your organization manages these editable files on a network that allows access to all. Without proper controls, everyone would be overwriting everyone else's work all the time. In such a case, NoteTab may have been just the alarm your folks need to alert them to a potentially serious problem.

              Dos centavos mios (and I sincerely hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction),
              Jeff

              To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
              From: debbie_packer@...
              Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:00:29 +0000

> [...]

              > >> we are not able to help you change your server configuration in order to

              > >> fix the issue. If we knew of such a fix, we would have told you.

              > >> --

              > >> Regards,

              > >> Eric Fookes

              > >> http://www.fookes.com/

              > > Thank you for your response here. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was just annoyed by an initial response to just turn off the feature if it's not working. I don't really consider that a work-around because turning it off is not going to help the feature work. Right?

              > > I will be interested to visit this forum again when others upgrade to the new version of Samba to see if they have the same problem (if that's what the problem really is). But at least there's already a thread here to tell them that it's their problem to figure out.

            • Don
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 21, 2010
                I'll second that thought! It's a fantastic program. If you are using
                it as a plain text editor you are missing the power.

                Anyway, may I suggest that you simply take your copy, save it locally at
                first, then use examdif or other such program at the end to compare
                before reloading it.

                That will show you if something is changing. Given that someone may
                actually be changing it at the same time, this is a good procedure anyway.

                On 7/21/2010 5:37 AM, Jeff Seager wrote:

                > Hi again Debbie,
                >
                > Of all the things that have been covered here, the one thing that troubles me most is hearing that you might just uninstall NoteTab. It only troubles me because I've used a lot of different software from big corporations and small ones since (omg) 1982, and this is without any reservation one of the best programs I have EVER used. It's useful to me in very many ways, especially when I roll up my sleeves and develop clips or refine and customize clips that others have developed. NoteTab has saved me huge amounts of work over the years.
                >
                > Just keep this in mind: Very many network administrators have an innate tendency to slough off a lot of work by acting as if a problem couldn't possibly have been caused by anything THEY did, even if everything points to that. I've seen it for most of my adult life. Not saying anything bad about the people you work with, but it happens. Seems sometimes as if we play a support role to them, instead of the other way around as it should be. So it's natural not to want to trouble those people, even if they are the most logical source of the problem. I can't blame you a bit for looking here first.
                >
                > I'm still not clear on how your organization manages these editable files on a network that allows access to all. Without proper controls, everyone would be overwriting everyone else's work all the time. In such a case, NoteTab may have been just the alarm your folks need to alert them to a potentially serious problem.
                >
                > Dos centavos mios (and I sincerely hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction),
                > Jeff
                >

                > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                > From: debbie_packer@...
                > Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:00:29 +0000
                > Subject: [NTB] Re: Another application has modified [filename]. Reload it?

              • Rod Dav4is
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 21, 2010
                  Could the trouble lie in a seriously out-of-sync clock on one of the
                  computers?
                  -R.

                  debbie_packer wrote in part:

                  > Thanks, Eric.
                  >
                  > You are correct that I did not make it clear that the feature was
                  > important to me. I thought that was implied and that I supplied plenty
                  > of information. I am starting to regret that I ever wrote to ask your
                  > support people for help or that I posted a message here. While several
                  > people here were very nice and offered helpful suggestions, others
                  > here apparently think I'm horrible for having an opinion and feel that
                  > they need to tell me how to think.

                  --
                  Regards, Rod Dav4is / P.O. Box 118 / Hyde Park, NY 12538 / USA
                  Genealogy, et Cetera: http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dav4is/
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Hey, just wanted to tell you I love Notetab lite! I just discovered the
                    little programming language and am having fun messing around with it (for
                    the HTML library). I also have created several libraries with all my
                    research URLs and studies to quote... awesome! I'm using NoteTab to edit my
                    websites and I love it! I have Notetab loaded all the time because I'm
                    always using it. And discovering new and wonderful features of it. And
                    it's so robust also - I love that aspect!

                    With all the questions, you probably don't hear how many of us feel this
                    product is the bestest! So I thought I'd write a fan letter... just really
                    a nice carefully written piece of software! love it love it love it...

                    SueW

                    > When you wrote about the issue of the modified files notifications
                    > popping up all the time, it was not clear to me that the feature was
                    > important to you and that you wanted to keep using it. I had understood
                    > that you were simply looking for a way to stop those notifications from
                    > appearing. It was not my intention to brush you off. I really thought my
                    > suggestion answered your support request.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Eric Fookes
                    > http://www.fookes.com/
                    >
                    > On 20/07/2010 18:11, debbie_packer wrote:
                    >>

                    >> --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes<egroups@...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Hi Debbie,
                    >>>
                    >>> I'm sorry you were disappointed by the fast response and the suggested
                    >>> workaround. We don't know why your server is causing a file date stamp
                    >>> mismatch, but we know the issue is external to NoteTab. Unfortunately,
                    >>> we are not able to help you change your server configuration in order to
                    >>> fix the issue. If we knew of such a fix, we would have told you.
                    >>>
                    >>> --
                    >>> Regards,
                    >>>
                    >>> Eric Fookes
                    >>> http://www.fookes.com/
                    >>
                    >> Thank you for your response here. I'm not trying to be difficult, I was
                    >> just annoyed by an initial response to just turn off the feature if it's
                    >> not working. I don't really consider that a work-around because turning
                    >> it off is not going to help the feature work. Right?
                    >>
                    >> I will be interested to visit this forum again when others upgrade to the
                    >> new version of Samba to see if they have the same problem (if that's what
                    >> the problem really is). But at least there's already a thread here to
                    >> tell them that it's their problem to figure out.
                    >>
                    >> Thanks again.

                  • Eb
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 22, 2010
                      Jeff, Eric,

                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Seager <abrojos@...> wrote:

                      > Just keep this in mind: Very many network administrators have an innate tendency to slough off a lot of work by acting as if a problem couldn't possibly have been caused by anything THEY did

                      This attitude is not limited to network administrators.

                      I have reported the "another app has modified..." issue and the "hanging NoteTab instances" to Fookes in the past, repeatedly, as well as in this thread. I see the two issues as related to each other. It may have some relation to Windows' delayed writing to disk, but if so, NoteTab ought to deal with it automatically. I have seen the "other app" problem right after saving a NEW clip library to disk. At the time there was a second instance of NoteTab hanging from the last restart.

                      In the past Fookes' support has apparently decided I'm a crackpot. But consider the numbers of NoteTab copies sold compared to the few people who frequent these groups. Even _one_ report of a problem ought to be given credence.

                      I use an isolated machine to develop NoteTab scripts. I never connect this PC to a network EXCEPT to upgrade Windows. All other upgrades are done from files downloaded via sneaker net, even my virus definitions. I use this maching only for NoteTab library development. The only applications I run on it, that might alter a library file, are various versions of NoteTab, and occasionally Notepad. While runnning NoteTab I also run Windows explorer, NoteTab Help, and SQLite3. Neither of these two apps modifies NoteTab's library files. Yet I experience the "other app ..." problem routinely.

                      I don't see how this could be caused by anything BUT NoteTab. Even if it were caused by the OS, it would be a relationship that the vendor ought to be aware of.

                      I do appreciate NoteTab as a great program (otherwise I would simply stop using it). I also appreciate the unusual responsiveness of its author. It is that past responsiveness, that emphasizes the irony of claiming the subject problem to be "external to NoteTab".

                      Eb

                      OS support, "it's the application's fault."
                      App programmer, "it's the operating system's fault."
                      OS support, "so program around it!"
                    • Lee Underwood
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 25, 2010
                        I have too say that I too experience the "another app has modified..." on occasion. It only happens when i am working on a file that is an .ini file that I created. When I switch to another program and back to the .ini it sometimes asks "another app has modified...". I am using Ubuntu Linux, running NoteTab under Wine. I just tell it "no" and go on. It also started out of nowhere, without any changes made to the program or the environment. I was a bit interested in why it was happening, though.

                        Lee

                        > I have reported the "another app has modified..." issue and the "hanging NoteTab instances" to Fookes in the past, repeatedly, as well as in this thread. I see the two issues as related to each other. It may have some relation to Windows' delayed writing to disk, but if so, NoteTab ought to deal with it automatically. I have seen the "other app" problem right after saving a NEW clip library to disk. At the time there was a second instance of NoteTab hanging from the last restart.
                        >
                        > I use an isolated machine to develop NoteTab scripts. I never connect this PC to a network EXCEPT to upgrade Windows. All other upgrades are done from files downloaded via sneaker net, even my virus definitions. I use this maching only for NoteTab library development. The only applications I run on it, that might alter a library file, are various versions of NoteTab, and occasionally Notepad. While runnning NoteTab I also run Windows explorer, NoteTab Help, and SQLite3. Neither of these two apps modifies NoteTab's library files. Yet I experience the "other app ..." problem routinely.
                        >
                        > I don't see how this could be caused by anything BUT NoteTab. Even if it were caused by the OS, it would be a relationship that the vendor ought to be aware of.
                        >

                        > I do appreciate NoteTab as a great program (otherwise I would simply stop using it). I also appreciate the unusual responsiveness of its author. It is that past responsiveness, that emphasizes the irony of claiming the subject problem to be "external to NoteTab".

                      • Jeffery
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 26, 2010
                          On 7/25/2010 6:06 PM, Lee Underwood wrote:
                          > I have too say that I too experience the "another app has modified..." on occasion. It only happens when i am working on a file that is an .ini file that I created. When I switch to another program and back to the .ini it sometimes asks "another app has modified...". I am using Ubuntu Linux, running NoteTab under Wine. I just tell it "no" and go on. It also started out of nowhere, without any changes made to the program or the environment. I was a bit interested in why it was happening, though.
                          >
                          > Lee

                          I usually see it when morer than one instance of NTB is open. or you are
                          running a program which is associated with an open file, or I am using
                          a FTP client.