Re: [NTB] notetab lite 6.2

  • afwritor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
      hi greg, i told notetabs to save them as txt files, but i missed the part where i could direct it to save them in a folder of my choice. i will have to look for that option. this may be the cause of the problem that the original poster had as well.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

      > Hi afwritor,
      >
      > On 07 Jul 10 01:03 "afwritor" <afwritor@...> said:
      > > The files all show up when viewing the path within Notetab, but not
      > > when I go there using windows explorer. On my machine the files are
      > > being saved in: Local Disk (C:)>Program Files (x86)>Note Tab Light.
      > > That is where I can find them in notetab.
      >
      > Are the files you are editing NoteTab's own files? e.g. ini, clb, tpl,
      > otl and so on? If not, why are you saving them there?
      >
      > The Program Files folder is reserved by Windows for, would you
      > believe, program files! In consequence, Windows has various mechanisms
      > in place for hiding them, so you don't mistakenly alter a critical
      > file that might stop your programs from running.
      >
      > YOu should always save your regular documents in your Documents/My
      > Documents folder. Windows won't hide them then.
      >
      > Greg

    • afwritor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
        hi again greg,
        i tried saving the files in question by making a minor change in it, and then using the 'save as' choice, and making a path change to save the file in a more correct location. so far it seams to have worked, i have tested by closing and reopening notetab, and by first making another minor change, then closing and again reopening. in both cases the file comes back up with the correct path in notetabs, and i am able to find and access the file in windows explorer. thanks for your help on this matter.

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "afwritor" <afwritor@...> wrote:

        > hi greg, i told notetabs to save them as txt files, but i missed the part where i could direct it to save them in a folder of my choice. i will have to look for that option. this may be the cause of the problem that the original poster had as well.
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi afwritor,
        > >
        > > On 07 Jul 10 01:03 "afwritor" <afwritor@> said:
        > > > The files all show up when viewing the path within Notetab, but not
        > > > when I go there using windows explorer. On my machine the files are
        > > > being saved in: Local Disk (C:)>Program Files (x86)>Note Tab Light.
        > > > That is where I can find them in notetab.
        > >
        > > Are the files you are editing NoteTab's own files? e.g. ini, clb, tpl,
        > > otl and so on? If not, why are you saving them there?
        > >
        > > The Program Files folder is reserved by Windows for, would you
        > > believe, program files! In consequence, Windows has various mechanisms
        > > in place for hiding them, so you don't mistakenly alter a critical
        > > file that might stop your programs from running.
        > >
        > > YOu should always save your regular documents in your Documents/My
        > > Documents folder. Windows won't hide them then.
        > >
        > > Greg

      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
          Hi,

          On 07 Jul 10 20:33 "afwritor" <afwritor@...> said:
          > i told notetabs to save them as txt files, but i missed the part
          > where i could direct it to save them in a folder of my choice. i
          > will have to look for that option. this may be the cause of the
          > problem that the original poster had as well.

          I'm just talking about the standard windows "Save as" dialogue, which
          always asks the three standard querstions:

          Which folder?
          What name?
          What file type?

          Nothing special.

          EDIT: Oops! Just read your follow up and see that you seem to have
          cracked it.

          FURTHER: I think I recall that NoteTab normally remembers the last
          used "Save as" folder for new files and, of course, brings up the
          source folder when doing a "Save as" on an existing file.

          Greg
        • afwritor
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
            i usually accept the defaults, and so i didn't notice the choices that are usually there.

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > On 07 Jul 10 20:33 "afwritor" <afwritor@...> said:
            > > i told notetabs to save them as txt files, but i missed the part
            > > where i could direct it to save them in a folder of my choice. i
            > > will have to look for that option. this may be the cause of the
            > > problem that the original poster had as well.
            >
            > I'm just talking about the standard windows "Save as" dialogue, which
            > always asks the three standard querstions:
            >
            > Which folder?
            > What name?
            > What file type?
            >
            > Nothing special.
            >
            > EDIT: Oops! Just read your follow up and see that you seem to have
            > cracked it.
            >
            > FURTHER: I think I recall that NoteTab normally remembers the last
            > used "Save as" folder for new files and, of course, brings up the
            > source folder when doing a "Save as" on an existing file.
            >
            > Greg

          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2010
              This does not sound right.

              As Greg said, C:\Program Files\ is meant strictly for program files.
              Depending on your OS,
              it might even require administrative rights to save files to or access that
              folder. Did you even see the "C:\Program Files\" folder in Explorer?

              I see that you have solved the direct problem by saving your files in a
              more appropriate folder
              but in case you are curious (I am), as to where the files were originally
              stored, try this:

              To find the true location of your original problem file, open it and insert
              a unique short character string (you can delete it later) and save the
              file. Then go to Windows Search (or Find), either via the Start menu or
              WindowsKey-F, and choose "Search all files & folders". Look in all your
              "local Drives" and search for a "word or phrase in the file". [The actual
              menu titles may vary depending on your OS but the functions remain the
              same.] Copy and paste the unique string created above into the search box.
              This will ensure that you find the file in question and not other versions.
              Click on the "Advanced options" and check:

              Search system folders
              Search hidden files & folders
              Search subfolders

              Then start the search. It may take a while but eventually windows should
              find it. When the search is finished, right click on the file name and
              choose "Properties". The "Location:" will show the true file path which you
              can copy and paste into Explorer. Note the values of "Attributes:". If
              "Hidden" is checked you will need to go to Explorer Tools | Folder Options
              | View and check "Show hidden files & folders". If the hidden attribute is
              checked and the "show hidden files" was not that would explain why Ecplorer
              would not display the file. However, then neither should have Notetab found it.

              Let us know the results.

              Namaste', Art