Re: [NTB] NT related kinda MS Word question

  • loro
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12, 2010
      westerman2010 wrote:
      >Ray Shapp wrote:
      > >
      > > Try doing a global replace of "http" with say "QQQQ". That will
      > eliminate all
      > > the hyperlinks. Then do another global replace of "QQQQ" with "http". I
      > > haven't tried this but I think it will work.

      >Search doesn't see the "http". No replacement is made. Thx¨

      I don't get it. What's wrong with the links?

      Lotta
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2010
        Hi Westerland,

        Your request is a bit strange.

        There is no "regular" html for links.
        Either it's a link OR its plain text.

        What exactly is "simple html"?

        Here are the obvious options, for converting html links to plain text in various formats:

        Start by loading the HTML file into NoteTab.

        1. strip html out of the entire file with Modify menu-->Strip Html Tags --> Preserve URLs

        2. Or strip the link tags off links only with search/replace (replace "<a href=" with "<". What remains will not be visible in a browser.

        3. Or convert the links into links which display as html code in the browser. Search for each link using regular expressions, and at each link press SHIFT+CTRL+H. This will make these links visible in the browser as plain text. I havn't done this in a good while. Not sure it still works.

        4. You might check in the clips group for a clip that will do this for you automatically. You might also check the html group (if it still exists).

        By the way, if you present an url to visit, that explains what you want, people might think you're just pimping for your website.

        Cheers,

        Eb
      • westerman2010
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2010
          Ed

          In MS Word there is no VISIBLE HTML code. It is hidden. All there is is a link, as shown in my screen shot. I don't want to save the Word doc as HTML and go through all the steps that you outline. That is the way I'm currently doing and it doesn't clean up everything and still requires much manual editing. I want to make the hyperlink code VISIBLE in MS Word so I can manipulate it there before taking it to NoteTab. I have macros writen in MS Word to do everything I need except the link issue. If I can solve it, I can convert a Word doc to perfect "SIMPLE" HTML in seconds.

          What I call simple HTML is just basic HTML code. Microsoft's SPECIAL HTML conversion adds 5 or 10 times more bulk to the file size or more. My "simple" is just a description, a relative term comparing standard HTML to the unreasonable code MS Word produces.

          Example: For two spaces a MS Word doc converted to HTML returns this mess.

          Compared to:

          I don't need ANY HTML, except the hyperlink code EXACTLY as shown in my image link. Nothing more. Should be simple but it isn't.

          BTW the link I presented is hosted by someone else, not my website I'm pimping. Only way I had to share the screen shot.

          Thanks

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

          > Hi Westerland,
          >

          > Your request is a bit strange.
          >
          > There is no "regular" html for links.
          > Either it's a link OR its plain text.
          >
          > What exactly is "simple html"?
          >

          > Here are the obvious options, for converting html links to plain text in various formats:
          >
          > Start by loading the HTML file into NoteTab.
          >
          > 1. strip html out of the entire file with Modify menu-->Strip Html Tags --> Preserve URLs
          >
          > 2. Or strip the link tags off links only with search/replace (replace "<a href=" with "<". What remains will not be visible in a browser.
          >
          > 3. Or convert the links into links which display as html code in the browser. Search for each link using regular expressions, and at each link press SHIFT+CTRL+H. This will make these links visible in the browser as plain text. I havn't done this in a good while. Not sure it still works.
          >
          > 4. You might check in the clips group for a clip that will do this for you automatically. You might also check the html group (if it still exists).
          >

          > By the way, if you present an url to visit, that explains what you want, people might think you're just pimping for your website.
          >

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Eb

        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2010
            westerman:

            not sure whether this will just muddy the waters or help
            I started out by googling [word convert hyperlink to url] and got some
            hits. One a long thread here:
            Help-Convert Hyperlink to URL
            http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-936758.php

            Its more about doing the task yo want in Excel rather than Word but the
            key seems to be that its probably necessary to use some kind of VBA
            script-fu

            Trying another approach I opened a DOC file with OpenOffice (3.2) and
            saved that as HTML file, opened it in Notetab and did Strip-Tags (ie.
            strip HTML retain URLs) which AFAICT results in what you want for a
            SINGLE document.

            back to Google I looked for [openoffice command line ] and the second
            hit is:
            OpenOffice.org Forum :: Help! - Simple command line conversion of ...
            http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=7242

            That thread (2nd response) has a long list of what appear to be relevant
            links that (I think!) would allow you to create a batch file (probably
            one line per DOC file that you need converted) and result in an HTML
            file for each document.

            That should allow you to create a Notetab clip that will execute over
            all the resulting HTML files executing the clip command:
            ^!Menu/Modify/"Strip HTML Tags"/"Preserve URLs"

            I'm not sure if you are on the Clips list but further discussion (if the
            approach appears feasible) should be there:

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2010
              Rereading your post more carefully it look like you aren't likely to be
              interested in the
              DOC--> OpenOffice --> HTML --> Notetab --> ^!Menu .... /"Preserve URLs"
              approach because you want to do some pre-processing cleanup in Word.

              You said (originally) "I've hit several MS Word forums and haven't found
              a solution." Maybe the VBA approach outlined in the first forum I
              suggested might be the way to go (I've almost no VBA experience). Back
              in 2006 someone offered to write the code required but AFAICT it never
              got posted.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2010
                I understand the word issue, and the problem you're having.

                Is the original file html, or .doc?

                If html, why bother with Word at all?
                If .doc, why not simply save as html, import into NoteTab,
                and strip html (keeping URLs)?

                You have rejected the obvious NoteTab solution. At this point, your problem seems to be a Word problem, that cannot be solved by NoteTab without more info about what you really want. Take a look at VBA, which _CAN_ extract the URLs from the links of a Word document.

                Cheers,

                Eb